1981 CB900C rear turn signals

matthewelrod1

Hey guys, I am new to the vintage motorcycle scene. I've had several modern bikes, but this is my first old girl. I am trying to update my turn signals on the rear right now. I did not go with LEDs, so I figured it would be pretty straightforward. The factory rear turn signals are one wire and the new turn signals I bought or obviously 2 wire. I figured one will be positive and one of the ground and I tried both options available and both produce a solid light with no flash. Factory turn signals were working fine before this. Any ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The led signals may not draw enough current to make the blinker relay work. You may need an additional electronic relay

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You need an LED relay for your bike, shouldn’t be more than $10. https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/flashers-load-resistors/motorcycle/ You’ll probably have to order it online. Also, on honda’s the ground wire is green. You should have a light blue and orange for your positive turn signal wires.

Hey guys, I am not, I repeat not using an LED. They are standard turn signals with a regular bulb. But I think I've gotten down to the root of the problem, is that the new turn signals are designed to be used as running lights and is turn signals. So I will need to tap into the running light in the tail light as well as running power to the turn signal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The running lights on Honda’s I believe are only on the front of the bike. The rear doesn’t use them. You could run two wires from the front running lights to the rear if you want rear running lights.

Possible your stock relay could be going? I had a similar issue on my old cb450sc. I went to auto zone and picked up a new flasher relay and it started working again. I would test it on the front first though. Hook up the new turn signals to the stock wires for the running lights and flasher and see if they work.

matthewelrod1 said:
Hey guys, I am not, I repeat not using an LED. They are standard turn signals with a regular bulb. But I think I've gotten down to the root of the problem, is that the new turn signals are designed to be used as running lights and is turn signals. So I will need to tap into the running light in the tail light as well as running power to the turn signal.

It's possible to get the same symptoms even if you're not using LEDs. A lot of aftermarket signals are small and use small wattage bulbs. If not enough power is flowing through the lights, then the old-style flasher relay will not work. I always upgrade to electronic flashers on every build.

This 1$ relay from eBay. Reduces hyperflash, slow flash ect.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/272338698564

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Stock bulbs are 21w - your replacements are probably 10w.

The stock relay will want to see 2 x 21w load so if it doesn't get this the bulbs will just stay on and not flash.

Grab a cheap no load relay....or if you can swap in the stock bulbs to the new indicators that should work as well.

Back
Top Bottom