www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: modified, aftermarket, or custom. nothing is safe (78 KZ1000)  (Read 38958 times)

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
Re: modified, aftermarket, or custom. nothing is safe (78 KZ1000)
« Reply #30 on: Oct 31, 2014, 00:15:33 »
Ok i have been procrastinating on updating here for a while. I finally got the photos off my broken phone. I have still been chipping away at the fabrication.

Final gusset

rear fender....

cut down to fit.

Rear brake torque link remade. I cut off the clevis off the old arm and welded some threaded rod to it so i could use this swedged aluminum tie rod.

mounts on airbox/sidecovers/tail finalized.

ZRX 1200 forks.... steering stem swapped and axle modified by a fellow member over at KZrider. Renthal pro taper, Brembo 16mm MC for the Grimeca calipers.

wheel spacers and speedo delete by another friend.

Its good to have friends with heavy machinery....

Prepping for 2 part hydrocal mold.

coddles in place and seams sealed

Part 2

Finished mold. 3 coats mold wax, followed by 2 coats of PVA to prep for mold release.

Vacuum bagged with strechalon to help get into that hard  concave edge. I bag the whole mold instead of trying to seal the seams.

trimmed and fitted.

Gauge mount. I fit all pieces and My buddy welds it up.

Made some fork clamps. Found some ID tube that was close to the 43 mm forks.I cut out a quarter inch from the circumference, annealed it, and hammered it down to size. lugs welded on then cut. Pinches the forks very well with no gaps. Mocking up different headlight ears.

one of many drawings

I had my photo booth set up for some other stuff today so i decided to snap some photos of a couple things.

The bike had finally been christened. I need to get some photos of the bike with all the finished body work on it.
---------------------------------
'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project

Offline pjdave

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #31 on: Oct 31, 2014, 04:06:07 »
Top skills, love this build. Good to see some updates.pj

Offline pacomotorstuff

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #32 on: Oct 31, 2014, 08:35:38 »
Aha!  You have discovered the magic of the plaster mould!  I first did some plaster moulds back in the '70's (wish I'd kept them)  and still keep a (big) bag of Hydrocal plaster in the shop.  I liked Ultracal better but either it's not available any more or my local supplier won't order it for me.
About the only suggestion I could make to your outstanding plaster mould work is, to make the moulds last a little longer, spray the mould face with one of the spraybomb urethane / varathane / whatever your local paint store has clearcoats, as soon as you can pull the mould off the master - when the plaster is still warm is best.  Keep doing light coats - you'd be amazed how far it penetrates in.  Also seals the plaster from the PVA if you have any areas that are a bit thin on wax coats.
Still on cuppa coffee #2 so not banging on all cylinders yet, but did you mention what you used for a release agent on the master?  The last plaster moulds I made (last summer), I used a "PAM" type kitchen spray, just a couple of light coats and hey presto, off came the mould, easy-peasy (the fact that the hydration reaction of the plaster with the water makes the mould "grow" a little bit rather than shrink like almost all toolmaking resins helps too).
BTW, isn't Hydrocal used in the dental industry?
Great build.
Pat 

Offline cobraace2

« Reply #33 on: Oct 31, 2014, 12:05:24 »

shit even the drawings are first class very nice  8)

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #34 on: Oct 31, 2014, 19:08:46 »
Paco, thats good to know about the clear coat. I made another hydrocal mold for the headlight bucket but didn't seal it well enough and had to break the mold to remove the bucket. Most of my plaster/mold making skills come from ceramic industrial processes, so its been interesting applying it to fiberglass. Also WAYYYYYY faster and cheaper to make the mold out of hydrocal than fiberglass. I spent only an hour prepping and pouring the molds and it cost me a couple bucks in hydrocal. Mold making is one of those skill sets if you can get a hold on, you can apply it to a wide range of different materials. As far as sealing the master; I put a very thin coat of mold release on the aluminum plug. I make my coddles out of acrylic so plaster isnt sticking to those, and the base is polished polyurethane so not sticking to that either.  Here is the mold i made for the headlight bucket with the retaining ring sitting in it.
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2014, 19:12:48 by doc_rot »
'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project

Offline pacomotorstuff

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #35 on: Nov 01, 2014, 08:26:50 »
Doc,
Something you can do if you are making a larger mould out of plaster and don't want to do the monolith block thing, is "throw" a coat of a fairly runny plaster on the master to form a thinnish layer against the part - like gelcoat, and then lay up reinforcing that has be soaked in a fairly thin mix of hydrocal.  It all should be done as one continuous process, before succeeding coats are fully cured.
I use burlap cloth for reinforcement - bought a bunch of offcuts from a place that made burlap bags for farmers and will never run out, but almost any open weave fabric would probably work.  The composites industry makes (made?) a grade of fiberglass cloth for use with concrete and that would probably be the best, but maybe a little expensive for a mould to make one or two parts?
Have fun with your build.
Pat

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #36 on: Nov 06, 2014, 19:29:54 »
Custom ISR disks. Just gotta whittle a carrier for the calipers and brake setup will be nearly complete.

'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project

Offline Erskine

« Reply #37 on: Nov 18, 2014, 20:08:52 »
Awesome stuff.

Offline crackerman

• 79' KZ750 builds
« Reply #38 on: Nov 19, 2014, 17:39:03 »
Great build. Loving the side and rear tail molds. Impressive stuff.

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
« Reply #39 on: Nov 19, 2014, 21:44:05 »
Excellent work, great build!
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650