Lapping Valves

dcwp

Coast to Coast
Is it okay to post other people's vids or should we keep this to stuff we've made ourselves like Sully's awesome vids?

If it's alright, I'd like to share this tutorial on lapping valves.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-lap-valves-246527/view/

After watching this I tore down a head and rebuilt it with great success. And this was the first time I've ever tried to futz with a head so I was really starting from scratch.

yeah, i used this video as a guide when i did mine and it was one of the easiest things on the engine to do. sealed the valves right up tight as a drum too, and gave the compression a massive boost. of course, i haven't got the engine running since then, but there's other factors involved there.

kawasakifreak77 said:
That's it? Man I need to get to work on my head! Where do you get the lapping stick & compound though?
Most auto parts stores have them.. Napa, Autozone and Advanced all have them here. My seats were a little pitted and I used a short piece of 1/4" rubber hose on the stems and chucked the other end of the hose in my cordless dill. Lightly in and out often while spinning... be sure to put oil in the guides and on the stems.... and easy does it , check progress often.

Todd, that's ' A REALLY BAD THING'
it puts radial groves into valve face and seat so they WILL wear faster than normal

PJ

Back
Top Bottom