www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: CB360's-from build to blog - 2013, MDS (Mo Dumb Shit)  (Read 237585 times)

Offline sebatron

Re: Yet another CB360 ( or two?)
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2009, 00:48:38 »
it's nice to get an insight on what the resident master gets up to :)

bump starting probably looks more majestic than kickstarting, at least thats how id justify it to myself.

just out of curiousity, how much meat can you take out of a cylinder wall with the ammco hone? is it literally for the .0*'s of an inch, or can you get a few millimetres out? say, 2mm out of an alloy wall?

Offline boingk

• Standard gearhead.
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2009, 01:02:08 »
Very nice work, I'm mighty impressed. I was thinking of doing something like this to one of the smaller Hondas and then enter the vintage racing scene. You have any plans for racing, or is this just for kicks? Either way, good stuff man.

Meanwhile, the placement of perhiperal weight has a huge difference on how a bike turns. More specifically, how much effort you need to exert and how fast it will change direction. Place weight at the centre of gravity and it will have negligible effect on the handling capabilities of a vehicle. Place it further away and you start to deal with more complex things like directional inertia.

Try it for yourself, go for a run through the twisties with something with a bit of weight strapped securely to the tail of the bike (a half-gallon water container, perhaps, or a house brick). Now, remove the object and go for the same run. You'll notice a difference for sure.

Cheers - boingk
Current:'14 CB125e, '77 TS185, '90 XR600R, '00 VTR1000FPast: CBR1000F, GSX-1100EF, CBR250R, CBR125R, GS850G, RS125, DR-Z400E

Offline diesel450

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • "Fast with a past"
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2009, 12:11:02 »
Reading this makes me feel like I'm in school, in a good way ;). Thanks for taking the time to share this with the rest of us!

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2009, 20:35:37 »
it's nice to get an insight on what the resident master gets up to :)

bump starting probably looks more majestic than kickstarting, at least thats how id justify it to myself.

just out of curiousity, how much meat can you take out of a cylinder wall with the ammco hone? is it literally for the .0*'s of an inch, or can you get a few millimetres out? say, 2mm out of an alloy wall?

you don't  really want to take more than 0.010" or so with a hone, too much like hard work.
You could tak 0.020~0.030" if you use 80 grit stones and a honing tank with constant flow of honing oil.
 Its so easy to bore alloy its not worth the effort to try honing, except for final size
 If your taking out 2mm, its much faster and easier to bore it.
I did seveal bores back in 1974 with a Bridgport mill, just about any machine shop will have at least one and generally be more amenable to boring small sizes,
Automotive places usually won't touch bike parts, "too small, we dont have anything that goes down that far" or similar.
 Bike shops have been known to charge for multiple bores ( at $25~$35 a bore, 2mm could be 8 oversizes)

Anyway, I'm going to make this one a bump-start bike, if its too inconvenient, I'll just swap motor out of the 'dyno' bike (its already ported, skimmed head and 378cc)
 It just wont look very pretty but its not a big deal to strip top end off and clean things up same as motor I'm now doing.
 I have to change clutch on it sometime soon whatever I do, its no good to man nor beast  with slipping clutch.  ;D

PJ

« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2010, 01:56:10 by crazypj »
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline Big Rich

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Heaven is so far away.
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2009, 22:48:38 »
Good looking work PJ! You said that battery is out of a smoke detector? I've never seen one that big. Or maybe it's just the picture blowing it out of proportion in my head.

I was having a problem with the battery on my Suzuki (too cheap to replace it) so I was bump starting for about a week back and forth to work. Luckily my house is on top of a hill and the parking lot at work also has a hill. But everybody thought I was "too good" to park next to the Harley's!

Offline crazypj

« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2009, 08:01:41 »
Sorry, should have been more specific, it was a smoke detector/emergency lighting unit.
 Going to work on the bigger stuff today, forgot to turn alarm off so it woke me at 5:00am  ::)
PJ
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it  (Terry Pratchett)

Offline crazypj

« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2009, 21:35:28 »
I guess everyone has been busy today  ;D
 Spent most of day cutting up bits of metal, doesnt feel like  I accomplished much but its taken all day ::)
 Made most of rear light unit for the XS800 and some new chain adjuster plates, I want them tighter fit than the standard issue ones
 I roughed out top piece for fork brace, (or two) 2" holesaw is a great tool for this stuff  ;)
 Did a little work on seat, may make  a completely different one as I had an idea

Fork brace top piece or two  :D
I'm going to make a second one  slightly different design

« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2010, 01:57:38 by crazypj »

Offline crazypj

« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2009, 21:59:54 »
Been cutting more bits of metal, it seems never ending.
 Made some fixtures to make parts, didn't quite work as anticipated but will try again with oxy/acetelene as propane didnt get steel hot enough to form properly. >:(
 Cylinder head didnt get finished yet
 Made a piece for rear brake linkage and realised it would have been much easier to weld one up in steel (I'm going to make one just to find out)
 Not posting pics until its finished and fitted, its different.
 can't find rear brake pedal mounting I made to weld to frame, I know its 'safe' though.  ;)
 The damn taillight mounting for XS800 is being a pain, it didn't look quite right so I cut it in half down center to check left and right sides.
 They are now equal  ::)
 Got to buy more welding rods tomorrow and start putting things together.
 Have no idea where spokes are, eBay seller isnt responding to email, don't even know if they have been mailed from Thailand?  ???
 Title should be here by Friday, loathe to do too much until I know I can title it in my name, don'tt eant to do bunch of work and have it 'stolen' off me
 I have 2 running bikes and 3 in progress so I'm not in a particular rush

PJ

Offline diesel450

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • "Fast with a past"
« Reply #23 on: Nov 17, 2009, 10:22:27 »
I bought spokes from that guy in Thailand. I think there's just the one guy in Thailand doing it  ::) I paid for the quicker shipping (2 weeks) and they arrived in about 2 weeks. Hang in there. they'll show up.

Offline crazypj

« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2009, 19:49:58 »
Very frustrating day.
 Got up early to finish off engine and couldnt find rings (safe  ::))
 Painted battery tray, it doesnt look much better so I'll probably make a different one.
 Garage is a bit clearer now though  ;D
 Found rings, still in sealed containers but one piston pin was too rusty too use so I shortened a stock CB360 one by 0.070" (the 378 has ligher pistons and pins which is why it can rev higher without breaking rod/crank)
 Couldn't find base gasket so I made a new one. from gasket material (Autozone)
Didn't take pics of engine with cylinders/pistons in, not very 'exciting' (unless anyone wants to see 69mm pistons in 360 cylinder?)
 Cut up some 'usefuil material' to make bar holders for new clip-on's.

This is what it looks like with holes drilled for bar and fork leg

this is one I made a few months ago, cheap Chinese mill works Ok but easy to go to far when your just 'twiddling knobs'

Hopefully tomorrow will be better day and I'll get something done
PJ

« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2010, 01:59:17 by crazypj »

Offline Hannibal Smith

« Reply #25 on: Nov 23, 2009, 12:42:46 »
That's a good looking clip-on! Definitely old style, and matches the bikes from the 70's

Offline crazypj

« Reply #26 on: Nov 23, 2009, 21:00:10 »
That's a good looking clip-on! Definitely old style, and matches the bikes from the 70's

I trained as turner/machinist in early/mid 70's so I guess it fits  :D
Thanks, that means something to me  ;)
 I've seen pics of the CNC bits you made, wish I had money and space for one (and ability to use/program it ;D)
 About 24~25 hrs so far on bike, takes a long time to make stuff  :-[

PJ

Offline Kanticoy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #27 on: Nov 23, 2009, 21:08:16 »
great job on the milling.  I always over turn said knobs when using one.  I need more patience I suppose.  And boy do I know the feeling of losing things in your own shop....oh it sucks.
I get not knowing, but I can't for the life of me understand not trying. It's only metal it can be fixed. Man up and risk a mistake in exchange for a lesson.
'

Offline diesel450

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • "Fast with a past"
« Reply #28 on: Nov 23, 2009, 23:11:12 »
Yup, Ive got a missing oil tank cap right now >:(

Offline Kanticoy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 24, 2009, 00:11:53 »
Yep I have the same HF mill and I keep wondering when it's gonna break! So far so good though. And honestly, you turning this stuff out...at least to my untrained eye...gives me hope for my little mill.
I get not knowing, but I can't for the life of me understand not trying. It's only metal it can be fixed. Man up and risk a mistake in exchange for a lesson.
'