"The Speed Heap" Trying to rap it up...!!

Re: "The Speed Heap" UPDATE #2....

Swapmeet Louie said:
No problems with vibration... I use really thick aluminum though. Like 3/16. You gotta beat the shit out of it to shape it (I use a 3lbs sledge). And then a little "locktite" and yer good.

Thanks for the compliments

3lbs sledge haha and some muscle. tell friend thank you also i have a few friends out there and some that came back last year its tough out there. keep us updated nice bracket as well on the tach & speedo

I too would also like to know how to do the engine turn technique post a little tutorial oh great one. :D

Well as asked, here is how ya do an engine turn finish...

#1 decide on what size/ diameter you want your scallops/scales/finish. What ever you want to call it. Get a piece of steal rod that corresponds w/ desired diameter.(broken drill bits cut down work well. The cut end needs to be very square/flat. I acheave this buy chucking it up in the drill press and running down on to some 60 grit.

SDC11182.jpg

SDC11184.jpg

SDC11185.jpg

#2 Put a small amount of lubricant on you surface to be tooled (I use a liquid chain lube, has low sling factor). Without this the bit will bite and walk all over the place.

SDC11187.jpg

SDC11188.jpg

#3 Apply a little pressure, and procede in as straight line as posibble. Moving toward you in half of your bits dioameter (so they overlap)
Then when you get done w/ that row. start back @ the beginning, only moved over half the bits diameter (so they overlap your first row). And procede.... Over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

SDC11189.jpg

SDC11193.jpg

Took about 3 hrs to do my dash bracket..... Fun! Warning- REQUIRES LOTS OF BEER!

lots of beer and tranquil music, like maybe Fear, or perhaps some Misfits?

I am thinking that beer may not be the drug of choice for that job! I am thinking a natural lift that grows in the wild (or in you old college roomates windowseal)! And while fear and misfits have thier place in every build, this would be more suiting to engine turning and the drug i speak of, PINK FLOYD!

^^^^^ yeah what he said but with a little beer mixed in just for good measure. Cool Louie thanks for the info makes for a cool finish. It doesn't bite or gouge the metal of choice?

Swapmeet Louie said:
Got a few things started this morning...

In the middle of making a dash/ tach mount.

And am toying w/ the idea of a pedestrian slicer.....?

SDC11181.jpg

SDC11177.jpg

SDC11176.jpg

Thats all for today. My buddy leaves for Afghanistan tomorrow, so we're gonna go tear up the town
tach mount is fukn sick!!!! FEAR NICE.

Did you say where you got the bullet headlight? Ive found regular black ones, but I dig the chrome.

Curbcast said:
Did you say where you got the bullet headlight? Ive found regular black ones, but I dig the chrome.
Its an early 60s Benelli...

tWistedWheelz said:
I am thinking that beer may not be the drug of choice for that job! I am thinking a natural lift that grows in the wild (or in you old college roomates windowseal)! And while fear and misfits have thier place in every build, this would be more suiting to engine turning and the drug i speak of, PINK FLOYD!

AHhhhhh IIIIIIIIiiiiii Have become... comfortably numb....

May I recommended one of these?

new_kingpdm25.jpg

That would just be too easy... ::)

And just for the record, No hippie shit for me...

Curbcast said:

I'd guess he removed the paint?? Looks awesome that way Louie.

I love the dash too but how you gonna see the speedo mounted in the bucket? Or are you planning on ditching that headlight?
Anyhow, bike is really comming along. Looks fantastic

troybilt said:
I'd guess he removed the paint?? Looks awesome that way Louie.

I love the dash too but how you gonna see the speedo mounted in the bucket? Or are you planning on ditching that headlight?
Anyhow, bike is really comming along. Looks fantastic

No, it's chrome... These lights were super common on all the late 50's & early 60's euro bikes that were in the 100cc range. Benelli, Gilera etc.

As far as the speedo hole goes, I will eventually be filling it. Make it go bye-bye. Though I highly doubt that this light will be on the bike when it's all said and done...? I plan on riding this thing, and these lights are novelty items. They run an 1156 bulb for crying out loud.

Thanks for all the compliments fellas....

Re: "The Speed Heap"

So this is the light I am going to run for now.... cb750

I am going to toy w/ making some headlight ears for the gt380 light. It has a really unique shape. The bottom of the lens is flat. And I think it would add some nice discrete detail to the bike. But it wont work w/ the mounts and tach set up I have right now. And the tach mount is staying.

So here it is:

SDC11232.jpg

SDC11225.jpg

SDC11221.jpg

SDC11211.jpg

Thanks again to the people that gave there 2c

So I haven't had much time for my projects the last week or so. My buddy Blair bought a SOHC750 and brought it over and I've spent most of my time drinking beer and supervising... It is his first build and has been loads of fun helping him along.

But today I did manage to get my rearsets sorted out. I need to make a rod for the shift side and get some cleaner hardware. But all and all I'm real pleased with them. I think so far I have $6 into them. I'm getting real close to being able to wire it up so stay tuned. I will post a video of the exhaust. the 2into1 w/ the F1 can sounds insane...

Cant wait to get this done so I can move onto the 550 triple... (I have a flat track bike in the works too)

Nice! The light is more appropriate, it doesn't distract from the lines of the bike. I love the dash, are you putting idiot lights into that dash?

I'm really stoked on the the dash too. I'm going to put a dial type on/off switch for the lights. The tach has 2 idiot lights in it.

here are a couple pics of my cheap ass rearsets. Still need to make linkage and get some cleaner hardware. And paint.
Shift side:
SDC11249.jpg

Brake side:
SDC11250.jpg

Back
Top Bottom