Your human powered two wheeled rides

m511y said:

I feel compelled to throw up an x-up pic now. Downhill rig.

RadSauce2.jpg

RadSauce1.jpg

forcefanajd said:
would it be cost effective to just buy a fixed gear off craigslist or something and rip it down to nothing paint the frame and then modify it from there as i please you think? or am i better off starting with a new frame?

It would be far more cost effective to find one ready to rock. You can always add the components over time, and then you have something to ride right away, instead of waiting for each part to trickle in.

Nice stuff guys, especially that 10spd recumbant. Very cool, can't believe you built that CCRider!

My biks are pretty basic. One is a Kmart el-cheapo alloy-frame road bike that I've put a long alloy seat post, underseat bag and cycle computer on. This isn't my bike, but it is the same model:

sp_sports.4558.1.jpg

The other is a brazed-frame 66cm downtube monster, complete with drop bars and touring brake levers. Its got an old-school 6v dynamo fitted and a 3spd hub gearbox that really lets you get cranking. Running on 27" x 1.25" tyres, rolls around like a dream. I've rigged it for the cycle computer as well, its an interchangeable model. Might just have to post a pic of it up later on.

Cheers - boingk

Cool thread. I have a garage full of bikes. A few new and a few worn out and out dated. The whole family rides so its really hard to keep up maintence and replacing components.
Over the years I've had a few old bikes that i made work. Had an old raleigh that upgraded to all RX 100 components and road raced it for years. Shout out to the Pittsburgh boys. Even took it up to the Pittsburgh zoo every Wednesday (early 90s I think) for the criterium.
Had another old Raleigh 10spd that I replaced everything with mountain bike components including a tripple crank and the rest of the drivetrain. Fat tires and I used it to race mountain xc races. (At first I got laughed because everyone was on mountain bikes. Gave me much motivation to finish in front of their asses ;D )
Now I have an Iron Horse warrior Elite full suspension for xc and for road riding I just retired an old schwinn super le tour that I redid 10-12 years ago. purchased a used Trek 1200 ths summer (it was never rode and i picked it up for $300 ;D). wife rides a North face Pulmori for xc (not sure who makes it but its a real decent bike (the mountain bike she retired she road for 16 years) and for the road she has a new Trek 1200. My youngest son rides an old Diamond back expert Tg road and his mountain bike is a Diamond back response. Both were bought used. Oldest son rides an Iron Horse that matches mine and for the road he has a Ritchie that we bought used.

Right now I have an old Bottechia campus cruiser, a Santa Cruz Blur 4X, and a Specialized Allez Pro.

In the last 5 years I've owned somewhere around 30 bicycles, from a Tonic Fall Guy to a Specialized Demo 8 to a Morewood Izimu to a Monty Mod trials bike to a Fly 3 Amigos...you get the point. ;D

blur.jpg

My Blur pictured above.

My current ride:

'77 Raleigh Sprite
ComfyCruiser001.jpg

And the last build:
bmx001.jpg

Build thread: http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/valvesprung/For%20sale/bmx001.jpg

The Raleigh will be getting some attention very soon. I'm keeping all of the original parts, but I've already added drop bars, white cork wrap, and a new saddle. I''ll be adding new pedals, clips, brake pads, gold chain, and some other goodies along with a complete rebuild/tune.

my italian beast. recently sold tho due to my new addiction "doin' the ton"

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2009/sept/6/Jay

Jay-1.jpg

Jay-2.jpg

This is my old Nishiki mtn. bike that I did some work to:
Bike5.jpg

DSC01767.jpg

And this is my bike with a 30 pack of PBR next to my friend Neal:
neal.jpg

I still want to build this:
Picture002.jpg

I also have some other old Japanese vintage 10 speed that I picked up last summer and am going to convert to a single speed with coaster brakes.

I picked up up an OG 1950s era Schwinn (maybe?) cruiser a few weeks ago. Found it sitting in front of a Goodwill for $20. Its all there, but someone painted everything blue. Its similar to this bike here (but obviously nowhere near as nice... yet.):

imgp9197-731241.jpg

Once the 350 is done Ill finish tearing it down and get it together for her. Itll be dark green (her favorite color) and creme, with a brown seat and lotsa' chrome bits... Itll even have a wicker basket, opon her request, so she can ride it to the store.

Ive personally never been a bicycle guy, but now that the 30s are looming and the metabolism is quickly getting slower, (read: im getting fat...) Im thinkin' I may pick something up to try and get back into shape.

Awesome find Von! Its going to be killer when you get done with it.

Lovin your ride too Docta Jones. Man that must be a sturdy rack!
In-fact, I love all these bikes! I really like the fact that so many of you guys use them for transportation!

i'll take some pictures of my bikes tomorrow to post here.

literally just got it....thanks squadracorse!!

gonna go install the headset, trim the forks, and install the stem in a few minutes

P1010220.jpg

Before I had back problems, I had a Corima Fox. Google that bike name- you will have an eye feast!!!!

Here's me on an old GT Pro back in the early 1980's (this was my brothers bike - I had a Mongoose Pro Class in black chrome).

Both bikes are still kicking around at my uncle's place. One day I gotta get them :)

Sadly not too many pics of this timeframe - will try to see if I can find more.

That's some serious 1980's stuff there. Pink pads, grips... HARO plate, Mike Buff signature white Z-Rims. That's my brother's 1976 Buick Skylark in the background (which became mine) and a wedge ramp we made out of a ping-pong table.

2251Large.jpg

bike number 1.
we've been through a lot together, almost time for it to be retired. will be riding from brisbane to sydney on it in february, then it will probably get shelved once i have enough money for something more modern.
it's a mid 50's nervex pro lugged australian built track frame
fixed1.jpg

fixed2.jpg

This used to be mine.
bike-jersey-600.jpg

It's a replica of this bike.
00000104-600.jpg

san_diego-600.jpg

skyway85_street_beat-600.jpg

Now it's in the rightfull hands of the individual riding in the above pics.
IMG_1229-600.jpg

And here's how it looks today.
P5190002-600.jpg

P5190003-600.jpg

P5190004-600.jpg

P5190005-600.jpg

P5190007-600.jpg

Oh, and he didn't get it for free. Some may recognize the sig in the upper middle. This was his first sponsored tour.
100_0129-600.jpg

Back
Top Bottom