www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Beachcomber's Tales from the day  (Read 178768 times)

Offline Hoofhearted

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Beachcomber's Tales from the day
« Reply #100 on: Dec 11, 2010, 17:38:20 »
Beer out of nose is not good. I need to read and then drink. too funny!

Not to get this too off topic, but I was telling my son the other day that when I was a kid, a neighbor/church goer whatever had every right to give you a head smacking if they were to see your personal shenanigans away from home. The only thing we were terrified of is if they told our parents.

Funny but I seem to remember as a child adults had the right to whack you if they saw you up to something.  I know Tom's dad, Don's dad, Doug's dad, Dennis' dad all treated me as if I was their child.  Whacks were impartially delived.  My parents are both gone now but I'm sure if they knew half of what we got up to they would have died a lot sooner or I'd be in a permanent coma.
El Mirage record 500 APS/PG 129.817
El Mirage record 500 SC/PG   122.240
El Mirage record 500 SC/PF    120.157
Bonneville record 500 SC/PG  119.667
Bonneville record 500 SC/PF   117.186
Bonneville record 500 SC/PBG  111.494
Bonneville record 500 SC/PBF   112. 600
Bonneville record 650 SC/PF   128.703
El Mirage  record  650 SC/PG   130.224

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #101 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:54:15 »
Makr / Hoof - yes and didn't life go smoother with a little healthy respect?

OK we all THOUGHT we were rebels, but generally against authority - NOT the establishment.

Soft misdemeanours in those days that generally hurt nobody - not knifings, shootings, beatings,...........on a DAILY basis.

Of course there were villians around, but in the main WE were having too good a time riding the wheels off our bikes - or clearing up pools of oil !

I remember once [ 14 /15?] kicking my Rugby ball into a neighbours garden. I went and asked [ politely ] for the ball back. The guy was doing some gardening [ very keen gardener ] and promptly stabbed the ball with his paring knife.

Three days later I opened my bedroom window a tad - overlooking his back garden AND his prized Crysamthemums.

Out with .22 BSA Airsporter [ air rifle ], and one by one off came the heads of the flowers [ at 150 yds I might add ] - leaving no trace whatsoever as to how it might have happened. What a rebel eh?
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

Offline Hoofhearted

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #102 on: Dec 12, 2010, 13:49:11 »
I think it did.  At least you knew where you stood.  I grew up knowing that if I got caught I was going to get a hidingl.  No stabbings, shootings etc.    Just a bit of misdemeanor fun.   I like your retaliation BC.  I had a .22 rifle as a child (yes parents gave us .22 rifles as children.  A 30.06 was for grown ups.  .22 was for children so they could "plink" at cans and stuff).   The guy who lived in the house next to Rick Martynec was in a similar vein to your ball stabbing neighbor.   

We were playing baseball in the street.  A pop fly heading for his back yard ( his house was a corner house so his back yard ran parallel to the street)  Rick, trying to keep the ball out of his yard, threw his glove up at it.  Both glove and ball landed in his yard.  Rick's little brother knocked on the door and (politely as we were taught) asked for the ball and glove.  The kid was greeted with a tirade of profanity and told that the glove and ball were going in the incinerator.  We used to have back yard incinerators to burn leaves and garbage.  Try that today with the air quality nazis. 

Rick and I went up the road a few hundred yards to the dairy farm.  This was before the 91 freeway came through Riverside and along with all the other freeways that have been built, destroyed paradise.  We had a couple of shovels and a wheelbarrow.  We pretty much filled the wheelbarrow with cow shit.  Back to the guys house.  Its late and dark so we are safe.  Cover his small front porch from the door to the far side of the porch.  His porch was only about 6' x 3'.   Make a small reservoir in the cow shit at the end of the porch and put a small amount of gasoline in it.  Light it and ring the door bell.  Stand back and watch him try to step through 6" of cow shit to stomp out the fire.  It was OK.  The porch was concrete.  I don't think there was much fear of burning the house down.

Of course he phoned our parents and without a shred of evidence told them what we did.  We got a hiding for it but that was all part of the game.  It was back in the days where you could be convicted on  the word of a grown up.  Didn't have to be anyone your parents knew.  The word of a complete stranger could hang you. 

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #103 on: Dec 12, 2010, 16:21:37 »
Hoof,love the cow shit tale - reminds me of "stomp the brown bag".

It was a slightly more evil version of "knock down Ginger" - knock on peoples' doors and then run off and watch them angrilly shaking their fists at all and sundry.

This one was when we were a little older - or reserved for someone we really didn't like.

Large brown paper grocery bag, fill with fresh dog crap, set on the doorstep and set fire, knock the door and retire to a safe distance.

Oh the fun when the house owner would come out and start stomping the flames out !

Offline Hoofhearted

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #104 on: Dec 12, 2010, 16:41:47 »
I have to admit BC that I am full of admiration (and other stuff) at you picking off his flowers.   The perfect crime!!!!  Before the .22 I had a BB gun but such brilliance never occured to me.  Now I'm thinking of 101 ways to use that BB gun but its too late.  Damn!!!

Offline Erskine

« Reply #105 on: Dec 12, 2010, 19:53:37 »
You know, I'd really like to hear all these stories spoken by their authors.
Audio book?
Class thread :)

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #106 on: Dec 13, 2010, 05:47:04 »
Erskine, that might be a step too far for my poor PC skills !

Hoof, guess our American Cousins don't realise we weren't allowed to play with real firearms - not legally anyway.

Not without jumping though several hoops and getting your firearms certiificate.

I soon realised I was a pretty good marksman with a rifle and went on to have 30 odd years of fun and competition with "live" weapons. I shot for our county [ Essex ] in small bore [.22 rimfire ] and full bore - in my case a sniperised [ is that a word? ] Lee Enfield .303 with iron sights. Soon got bored with that, as shooting 98 /99's was a daily [ and not too difficult ] occurance and the concentration to shoot 10 "perfects" [ 10 x 100 ] was, well boring. So I took up pistol shooting - which I thought I'd be a natural having had good success with a rifle - wroooong. Never did get to competition level, but we had an excellent [ and free spirited ] club owner that encouraged - well, hooliganism! [ on the range that is ].

Sadly in the UK we had the knee jerk reaction to a couple of loonies going on the rampage and killing folk - and overnight laws were brought in that effectively killed off private ownership of things like M1 carbines [ I had two ] and gun ownership became a real chore so I reluctantly gave up my weapons and certificate some 15 years ago.

My place in Germany however, that's another ballgame !!! 

Offline Hoofhearted

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #107 on: Dec 13, 2010, 22:02:19 »
Its funny how Ireland and England have such stringent gun laws.  In one respect its not a bad thing but it seems the baddies can turn up a gun without any problem.  I got a BB gun when I was about 7 or 8.   They are pretty harmless.  Put your eye out but thats about it.  A friend and I ambushed his little brother as he came home from school one day.  Peppered him from about 20 feet.   It just left little red marks all over him.  Then our Dads left big red marks all over us when they found out!

Riverside was a rural(ish) town in the 50s and 60s.  We only had to go a mile or so and we were in the boonies.  Perfectly safe for plinking with a .22.   I never got into hunting as I consider it too one sided.  To me hunting is like Rossi bringing his factory Yamaha to race against a grid of step through Honda 50s.

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #108 on: Dec 14, 2010, 05:15:02 »
I'm with you on the hunting angle Hoof.

There's a saying - "When guns are outlawed, only the outlaws will have guns" ..............................

Offline Rocan

• "Long after I rest, my steel will live on"
« Reply #109 on: Dec 14, 2010, 17:18:38 »
haha great stories!

i come home from work every two weeks or so with red welts all over... long story short we have a battery operated bb gun that we fire at each other with after we close. absolute BLAST!
PJ- Cafe's don't really work right until you get rolling 70mph +

Honda CB350 Project- www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=8643.0

Honda C100 Restoration- www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=38653.0