Juggernaut XS750 "Antichrome"

Re: Juggernaut XS750 Cafe Racer

Still painting what I can. Today I stripped and sanded the final drive. What a pain in the ass. There was a ton of grease covering it. It was bothering me that the pain stripper wasn't working. I scrapped the hardened grease off and the stripper worked very well. The gauge casings have been stripped,sanded and now primed. I have decided it would be way too much to change them out with something different. Not many speedos read to 140 mph.

Stripper on my final drive. It burns the nostrils.
FinalDrivePaintStrip3.jpg

Another view with stripper. She's hot!
FinalDrivePaintStrip2.jpg

Full shot...very dirty
FinalDrivePaintStrip1.jpg

After spraying 3 times and gone over with abrasive disc and sandpaper
FinalDrivePaintStripped2.jpg

Bottom view. Much better.
FinalDrivePaintStripped1.jpg

Full body shot all cleaned up (at least to my standards)
FinalDrivePaintStripped3.jpg

The painted parts all wrapped up stored nicely (I'd make a great serial killer someday)
PaintedandWrappedParts.jpg

My paint drying station
PaintDryingStation.jpg

Here she is. Stripped of everything and grounded off tabs.
TheSadBike.jpg

I'm at an interesting transition stage and need some input from the experienced builders out there. The bike is ready to be sandblasted and powder coated. I still need to figure out how I'm going to mount rear sets. Everything should welded up before PC. Can I mock up the rear sets without the engine and wheels on the frame? I've seen a lot of pics of rear sets mounted and have a general idea of where I'd like them but they should be done properly. Not really wanting to put everything all together just to take it all apart again.

got any close ups of the rear triangle of your frame? I'm pretty sure you saw my thread on my rearsets, i'm 6 feet, average leg length, and where they are is pretty perfect. If those brackets that I used work on your frame, I would pick them up and a set of loaded gun rearsets from DCC. Also, If you figure out where to get the shift arm and brake arm from (the piece that attaches from the flange to the linkage), let me know, I'm having some trouble finding them haha.

Rad project man...

I've been enjoying the hell out of mine in fairly stock dress. A cafe version should be a hoot! Lots of power in these 750's, LOTS!

Thanks guys.

Louie, you suck, but you have been good motivation to get this thing rolling sooner rather than later. I can't wait to see what the finished bike looks like. Where did you pick up the header? More details man!

ldordai. Here is a site I found.

From Aussieland. Parts are at the bottom.
http://www.motorcycle-parts.com.au/Rearsets&Spares.htm

Have you got the seat / bumstop sorted? Once you have that mounted you can work out were the rearsets should be located. And you'll need to have the mounts sorted out for the seat before you PC the frame anyway.

Personally, I would just rattlecan the frame (appliance epoxy seems to work well) because if this is your first build you can be CERTAIN there is something you will need to add / alter before it's done. Once you have everything fitted, functional and running, then you can have the frame PC'd if you wish.

Right you are hillsy. I was getting more paint for my gauges and other parts I need to finish and picked up a Ford red metallic spray paint color I think will be great. The sandblaster shop I use also powder coats so I keep getting my priorities mixed up. I'll end up painting it probably unless I start making good money somewhere.

ldordai's rear sets look perfect. I'm hoping to go that route. I have found a few seats that are nice but they will be overhanging 1" on either side so I'm still looking around.

The header I found @ my local salvage yard. $30

Thats the details, ha ha

It has the offset listed. Think of it as a rectangle the offset should be how wide the piece will be. Once you have them mounted up you should be able to measure and tell right away. They shouldn't be that hard to tweak if they are off by a little.

Yeah the offset and stuff i get, I'm more worried about the shaft diameter and number of teeth.

Example from site:

Connecting Rod Curved M6 RH Threads 168mm Long Offset=15mm

m6 is the part you want to focus on. Use a tap and die set to figure out what thread size you have and I'll bet it matches. That is also the nut size on there.

Ahhhh i think theres a miscommunication...seems like youre talking about the connecting rods, and i meant the shift and brake arms.

Juggernaut, just thought of something.

For the rearset setup i'm going to be using, if you have the stock pipes/mufflers on there, the rearset will hit the muffler when its pushed down on. I was planning on running a short muffler to begin with, so its not going to be an issue for me, but I figured I would warn you.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm going to do short pipes as well. A 3-3 exhaust.

Did you get yours sorted yet?

yeah, the bike came with a 3-1 header, so I'm just going to run a shorty muffler off that. If you were talking about the rearsets, I'm still waiting for the engine to come back from PC before I can assemble it and put it in the frame to find out what i need shift/brake arm wise.

Things have been going slowly. Had to put a new radiator in car b/c I was pushing my luck in the snow a few weeks ago. Painting is done until I can get body filler for the tank and the frame welded so I can smooth out the imperfections. I have decided and committed to the red I was looking for. It turned out to be the same color as the 2000+ Mercury Cougar Laser Red. I'm still searching for the blue color the tank and seat will be painted.

A couple shots of a fork leg.
DSC_0002-1.jpg

PaintedFork.jpg

Colors as follows:

Red: Frame, swing arm, calipers
Black: Caliper Mounting brackets, engine, final drive, Headlight, Gauges
Blue: Tank and seat

nice fork lowers, i'm going to be interested in what that paint scheme looks like, keep us posted!

Looking good Jugg! I look forward to seeing more progress, maybe it will get me motivated to get something done!

I'll try to have some more pics up tomorrow. The gauges are finished black. Put in working lights and cleaned the inside glass and the outside as well. A recommendation from me would be...paint the rings once the gauges are put back together. I painted them then tried to install and they flaked paint off where I had to bend them back.

The swing arm got the same red and I managed to take out one swing are bearing race. That was a total pain in the ass today. Took me at least and hour to remove it.

I am keeping the left hand control and am going to be adding a switch to it for the headlight ON/OFF option that was on the right control. The throttle will then be a stand alone unit since I'm not keeping the kill switch and have already removed the starter and circuit for it.

***If anyone wants the starter and solenoid, I'll let them go for cheap***

To get the bike back on the road with the required new parts I need $900. That's what is taking so long. Seems like every month there is a new issue that comes along and robs the motorcycle fund. The beast would have been put back together long ago if I just had the money.

Thanks for encouragement guys. I still put in about 20 hours per week on the little things. Now it's all down to the big ticket items.

Back
Top Bottom