The Mosquito! (KZ250)

Re: The Mosquito!

P3220064Small.jpg

We then cut a mushroom shaped piece of metal that the band will be welded to. The tank came with a rubber strip across the rear, so this mimics the way it would have been mounted on a Bennelli or Ducati. There's a hole through the tank at the front and we'll weld a nut to the backbone and simply bolt it down.
This is the way many bikes have the tank mounted, an Rd350 for example. It also makes a neat place to mount the regulator/rectifier.
P3260067Small.jpg

The tank is much wider at the front than a stock KZ250 tank and the clip ons would have hit it at full lock.
We welded a couple of nuts on each stop, then cut off a bolt to fit in the nut. We cut a slot in the end and now we have adjustable stops. Once the bike is finished and everything is hard mounted, I'll probably put a dab of blue loc-tite on the threads and set them where I want them.
P3260069Small.jpg

Here's a pic with the shortened seat and the rear tank mount. The front of the tank may come up just a tad...we'll probably put a rubber snubber between it and the backbone, but this is pretty much the stance.
P3260065Small-1.jpg

We bent up some metal and made some braces for the tail light mount.
P3260074Small.jpg

Tucks in real nice from the side view, but still plenty visible from the rear.
P3260080Small.jpg

P3260081Small.jpg

I forgot that I haven't posted a pic of the powerplant since we got it all reassembled and paint detailed.
P4010138Small.jpg

I'll be using the plastic inner fender....part of it, anyway. I sawed off about a quarter of it overall. This will all be hidden under the seat and inside the frame and still provide a little protection to the battery and electrics, as well as giving us a place to mount the fuse box.
P4010139Small.jpg

Here are some more shots showing how we mounted the tank. We plan on using a strip of velcro across the rear mount and maybe adding a couple of rubber snubbers to the frame at the front, just to keep any wobble to a minimum.
The nut at the front has a hole drilled and tapped all the way through the backbone, so it snugs up real nice.
P4010130Small.jpg

P4010135Small.jpg

P4010131Small.jpg

P4010134Small.jpg

great build so far! Love the colour of your tank, and that gas cap looks pretty nice as well :)
Keep it coming!! :D

We also had a change of plans on the rear set mounts. We made up some brackets using these templates, but they were just WAY too thin. Even doubled up, they flexed and bent.
P3060003Small.jpg

So we made some plates out of MUCH thicker metal and welded them on.
P4010133Small.jpg

Using this method, we were able to use the mounting plates that came with the rear sets.
P4010136Small.jpg

P4010137Small.jpg

I think you will find that those pegs are way too far back. A normal place for rear sets is more or less in line with teh swingarma nd in line with the tire. +/- 1" in any direction.

If you cut down the mounts, you could still use the mounting plates I guess.

sweet bike. glad I found this thread. too bad the red tank didnt work out, loved the look. Is the garelli still an option?

teazer said:
I think you will find that those pegs are way too far back. A normal place for rear sets is more or less in line with teh swingarma nd in line with the tire. +/- 1" in any direction.

If you cut down the mounts, you could still use the mounting plates I guess.

The mounts ARE in line with the swing arm. It's just not mounted in this pic. They are on the same "plane" as the stock pegs/controls were, just moved back. You gotta remember: this is a tiny bike and I'm over 6 feet tall. They gotta go there. I'll get more pics when the swingarm is mounted again. All the fitting and fab work was done with the swing arm mounted and the wheels/suspension on the bike.

Rude Boy said:
sweet bike. glad I found this thread. too bad the red tank didnt work out, loved the look. Is the garelli still an option?

I kinda liked that look, too. I'm happy with the Mojave tank, though. Especially since it allowed us to shorten the seat and get that long tank/short seat ratio that I prefer. The Garelli tank is long gone. It was just too small for the frame.

Back
Top Bottom