CB500T Cafe Build

WoodsCustoms

Hello All-
I am new to posting in forums so here it goes...

A bit about me- Bikes are in my blood and I have been riding since I can walk. Like most of you, I can never leave 'um stock! Tune in for my latest build.

Bike is a 1975 CB500T, which started as a gift from my dad (he needed the garage space). However, I did have to come out of pocket for the shipping up to NE from Texas.
It started out bone stock, but will get the full Cafe treatment with a bit of late 70's early 80's Superbike in the mix.

As soon as I figure out how to add photos I will show progress to date.

Welcome to the site! The big Honda twins are great bikes. Very traditional looking engines. As far as pics, open up a photobucket acct. Than ya just have to copy and paste the IMG link.

Thanks for the info here is the progress-

Without the tank and seat, but where I started-
CB500_notank02.jpg

In for Surgery-
cb500_onstand_notank02.jpg

Motor ready for Mo' power also had a burned valve-
500T_Engine_surgery.jpg

500T_head_burned_valve.jpg

sweet dude, looks like your off to a hell of a start! what plans you do you have for it?

Put in hi-comp pistions 71mm (about 10:1, but not exactly sure) took about 4 months to get this right. Started with 74mm pistons for a 450, but the compression was too high even with spacer below the cylinder. So I ended up finding these NOS hot rod parts from a friend for the 500T, very rare.. Now it is 523cc, with new valves and reground seats, new seals, cam chain, custom head gasket for the bigger slugs.
500T_newslugs.jpg

Also put in an electronic ignition, dyna coils, new wires. Should have a fatter spark and time eaiser
CB500_ignition.jpg

Fits nice where the old points were
500T_new_ignition_mtr.jpg

shows the VM32 carbs and a spacer I built out of aluminum to cover two small issues 1-the distance from the valve cover was too tight 2- the VM32 intake boot did not match the port on the head. This fixed both
500T_Engine_wVM32.jpg

Ok, last one for today shows the Mock up.
Got some superbike bars from LSL, put on some 13 inch hagons, cut the crap off the frame (still have plans to add bracing and do more cutting). Using a seat cowl off a CB750F that I modified to make a bit narrower. Switched the caliper to sit behind the fork leg, dad used to do this on his old Hondas with success.

Plans-
18 inch wheels front and rear (sun rims WM3? not sure on width yet)
custom seat (in progress)
rear sets (using modified FZR 600 parts)
drill the rotor (in progress)
brace frame
brace swing arm

500T_mockup_right.jpg

500t_mockup_left.jpg

awesome man, this thing is gonna be great.
that dyna ign really makes a difference.
so are you going kinda tracker/cafe with it?

Ya, looking to morph an early 80's superbike with a dirt tracker and a Cafe racer. I guess you could call it a mutt? I grew up on the dirt so I like bikes with higher/wider bars.

Hurley: I saw your build on here- really nice! It got me pumped to post my bike, most people start with the 450. Cool to see the 500T getting some respect.

haha, well mutt, cafe, or whatever it end up being when done, im digging it man, the seat looks pretty rad, and i like the bars your runnin, and well the engine, i cant wait to hear it fire up and see what it sounds like.
so did you have troulble finding engine parts, cause boy oh boy did i lol, nos parts are almost none existent for these things from what i saw.lol

thanks dude, glad you dig it, it was a blast to work on, and i agree, these 500's are pretty cool, and not as common, but that definately ads a cool factor.

I plan on making my own cans and collectors, but I let swarbrick racing do the headers. Going to go with a two into two setup with custom carbon cans. Anyone got some experience rolling carbon tubes? This will be my first go...
cb500_swarbrick_header-1.jpg

However, before I can do the exhaust I will need to fit these -
Off of a 92 FZR 600. Got them off the 'bay for cheep, but had to source some new pegs as they were both broken.
500T_Rearset_parts.jpg

A roll of rebond foam (carpet pad) and some spray adhesive. Here is the rough out. I plan on trimming and shaping it and fixing it to a carbon base. Also I have a modified CB750F cowl to top it off...

500T_Seatfoam_on.jpg

the cowl..
500T_mockup_right.jpg

all very very cool stuff man, love the pegs, and well everything else. the pipes look sweet!
and the seat looks like it will come together nicely

OK, I have been slacking on the updates a bit, but I have made some decent progress...

Finally finished the intake runners! These were to match the intake flange for the VM32 carbs to the head port, but I got an added bonus when I found out that they also added the clearance for the carb body and choke.
Intake_with_carb.jpg

Also, I got to work grinding the remaining junk off the frame and shaping the seat base. I was going to use carbon fiber, but aluminum is much cheaper....
Seat_pan_rough.jpg

I got the rotor drilled and it looks good! Also got a set of Frodo pads (SS line is also on the list)so it should help increase the stopping from crappy to not so bad....
Next step is to finish my seat and weld up the rearset mounts. I have been slacking, but this weekend should give me time to make some good progress.
500T_Rotor_Drilled.jpg

Back
Top Bottom