www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Source for small, skinny tires  (Read 3232 times)

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: Source for small, skinny tires
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2011, 21:51:13 »

You listed your tire sizes, but what size are the wheels? That's what you need to know.

FR rim size: 1.60 X 18 outer width
 RR rim size: 2.15 X 16 outer width

Offline Curbcast

• http://fablebodied.tumblr.com/
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2011, 21:58:08 »
Bridgestone BT39SS tires

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2011, 22:16:01 »
 And now that I know the rear rim width, can I go with a taller, narrower rear tire?

Like many manufacturers in the early '80's, Kawasaki tried to make the little KZ look like a "cruiser"; stepped "king/queen" style seat, buckhorn handle bars, frame modified to put the tank up at an angle and...a shorter, wider rear tire. Think about what Yamaha did to the XS650 at around this same time. Exact same treatment.
  I want the classic cafe' look with tall, skinny tires. Do I NEED a 4.06" wide tire on a 2.15" rim? Would something a little over 3" wide, but taller, work on that rear rim?

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2011, 23:09:44 »
All good tires, BUT, lets not hate on the ChengShins. I wont buy them again based soley on the fact that they are Chinese made, and I try not to spend my money there. That said, Ive read a few reviews as of late where they have been well recieved. They (like Shinko) have bought an entirely new facility and new equipment, basically making there tires as good as any other value priced unit. For the $30 a tire, you get a bit more than ya pay for, but not too much. If your into basic commuting, and want a vintage look, they arent bad. But... They are made in China. (Lots of tires are though...)
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline dgrady77

« Reply #14 on: Apr 19, 2011, 02:22:58 »
Here's a related question.  Does anyone know of a chart that tells what tire size will fit on what rim size?  What's throwing me off is that the rim is measured from the inside edges of the lip, which is going to be the narrowest point, and the tire is measured at its widest width.  Obviously, the two measurements aren't going to be the same, but I can't seem to find the next step in the tire-fitting process.  I'm removing the ancient 3.25x19 front and 3.50x19 rear tires from rims that are the same size, so I know I could just replace them with those sizes, or both with a 3.50x19 or whatever, but I want to know why.  I like to think it's part of the same mentality that impels us to custom build our own bikes, but it's probably just OCD or something.  Anyway, thanks for any info anyone can give me!

Offline Big Rich

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Heaven is so far away.
« Reply #15 on: Apr 19, 2011, 04:55:05 »
Here's a related question.  Does anyone know of a chart that tells what tire size will fit on what rim size?  What's throwing me off is that the rim is measured from the inside edges of the lip, which is going to be the narrowest point, and the tire is measured at its widest width.  Obviously, the two measurements aren't going to be the same, but I can't seem to find the next step in the tire-fitting process.  I'm removing the ancient 3.25x19 front and 3.50x19 rear tires from rims that are the same size, so I know I could just replace them with those sizes, or both with a 3.50x19 or whatever, but I want to know why.  I like to think it's part of the same mentality that impels us to custom build our own bikes, but it's probably just OCD or something.  Anyway, thanks for any info anyone can give me!

Do you mean a chart like this?
http://www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/tyrerim.htm

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #16 on: Apr 19, 2011, 12:43:06 »
Nice one Rich. That's a great start and will work most of the time.

I found that some tires with the same nominal size require different rims. Bridgestone list rims for their tires, as do AVON.

Offline Big Rich

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Heaven is so far away.
« Reply #17 on: Apr 19, 2011, 20:59:31 »
Ya, normally I like to add "ultimately it's up to the tire manufacturers to say if a specified tire will fit".......but I was tired when I posted that earlier.

Hagon's chart was much easier to read. It's a shame their site is down.

Offline dgrady77

« Reply #18 on: Apr 19, 2011, 21:57:29 »
Why yes, a chart very much like that one!  You're awesome, Big Rich, thanks.  I also looked up Hagon's website: http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/common/pdf/wheels2011.pdf  Thanks for that one, too!