Bluetooth in helmet- easy and cheap project-pics

savannahcafe

OK, let me start off by saying that I in no way think anyone should ever have a blue tooth bob in their ear at any time. It looks absolutely retarded. It IS NOT cool. They were created so you could talk on the phone while using your hands for something else. This means if you are in the grocery store, at a restaurant or any where where you could be holding your phone to your ear, you shouldn't be using a blue tooth ear bob. Not to mention it looks so so so stupid when you're talking to yourself. That being said, I want to share a little project with ya. I was at the local Staples and I found a super tiny blue tooth ear bob on sale for 15.00 It is normally 40.00 so I decided to grab it in the name of science. I thought that maybe I could do something cool with it so this is what followed.

Here it is in all its stupid looking glory.

bluetooth001.jpg

And here it is opened up. It just snaps apart. The wires you see going to the cover on the right run into the small speaker. I cut them and removed the three little screws that held the ear phone part on. Then I took a nice pair of Sony ear bud headphones and hacked one side off and soldered it to the 2 wires coming from the blue tooth thingy.

bluetooth003.jpg

bluetooth005.jpg

Then I simply routed the ear bud to the left ear and attached the unit at the front left of the helmet. I can place calls and receive calls from the small button. I have only tried it here at my shop and Ill let ya know what the performance is on the road. It works great in doors.

bluetooth009.jpg

And lastly if I offended anyone with my strong feelings about the whole ear bud thing, well you might want to ask someone else cause I'm not the only one who feels this way. Seriously, are you the terminator or something? lol

Mark

That's a pretty good bodge! Can't say I would take a call in the helmet... but hearing my GPS voice instructions might be handy.

Cool idea!

I'm not sure how I feel about talking on a cellphone while riding, but I can see it for answering and saying "I'm on my bike, I'll call you in a minute." Plus I do find that I miss alot of calls riding around, and don't notice the cell vibrating in my inside jacket pocket (Lord knows I'm not going to hear it, ;D.

I had a buddy (a stunter) who used to just jam his Razor into his helmet when he got calls... it's illegal to talk on a cellphone while driving where I live so he got alot of looks / fingers for doing this, hah, plus the fact that he would be on a cellphone, endo'ng into a red light and wheely'ng out of it - OK, maybe not exactly like that ;).

I think not being able to answer your phone on the bike just adds to the feeling of freedom of being on a bike. My phone usually goes in the backpack/saddlebags when i'm on it. I've actually driven around town with my phone going off the whole time and people giving me weird looks. No call is more important than seeing that little old lady in a Buick pulling out right in front of you.

But opinions aside, great idea!

This would be really convenient .. especially when you get separated from the pack when riding (happened to me at least once). I have to figure out how to do this on a pudding bowl helmet :)

I just remembered something I saw a few months ago...

Guy riding his HD on a 4 lane main road... one with lots of traffic and lights... HOLDING his cell phone with his clutch hand to his skid lid topped noggin yakking away... couldn't believe it. I swear he had to be shifting clutchless... which isn't a BIG deal except for the torque lurch that happens...

A bluetooth bob would have been preferable in this instance ::)

I agree on the whole bob thing though... I use a headset with a boom mike in the van just so people don't think I'm crazy ;D

Much sleaker than those full microphones you see those fat dudes on aspencades wearing so they can talk to their fat wife in the back seat of the bike (those back seats even have arm rests???)

Back
Top Bottom