The $100 XS650 Cafe build....

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
A couple of months ago I answered a Craigslist ad and picked up this 1980 XS650 AND a spare motor for $100. My Dad and I spent a couple of afternoons on it and got the non-functioning kickstarter and the dragging electric foot to work properly. Fresh plugs, sparkplug wire caps and some fresh fuel and she runs. I cleaned the carbs and charged the battery as well. I have some tuning to do on the carbs, but I shut her down early because of some leaking seals.
I have new seals/gaskets but just haven't had time to get back on it lately....maybe after the holidays.
PA310022-1.jpg

I've been collecting parts, including Clubmans, Moto GP grips, some tune-up and dress up stuff, a set of Napolean Barens mirrors, etc.
I'll be running this seat, from Omars. A VERY nice piece, IMO.
P9250095.jpg

I have a set of polished forks and a set of polished side covers for it. Oh, and a set of polished valve covers, too.
PA210003.jpg

PA210001.jpg

$100.. what a steal!!...I thought I struck gold with my cb450 loot!!..
Geezz.. those are very shiny covers. Definately shiny enough to make even Tintin jealous!!

Thanks, man...it needs work but has a ton of potential.
I picked up this XS850 tank (same as an XS750) off ebay. It has scalloped sides and a cool shape. I'm really digging the factory paint scheme, but it has some dents and dings, so I guess a repaint is in order.
9cfd_1.jpg

Oh, and I picked up a set of R6 rearsets for less than $20! I plan on adapting them using the hints from this site. Looks like they'll work with minimal mods. Pics later.

Right on man, that is a hell of a score. You should consider rephasing that spare motor to 270*. Cuts down on vibrations a ton, makes more torque, and sounds like a seriously pissed off Ducati! Its pretty easy to do as well!
Matt

Hey... I've been thinking about putting together another 650 engine myself. Maybe a 270 rephase is a good idea...

I'll have to read up, but is it mainly the camshaft and ignition that need modification?

Tintin said:
Hey... I've been thinking about putting together another 650 engine myself. Maybe a 270 rephase is a good idea...

I'll have to read up, but is it mainly the camshaft and ignition that need modification?

correct. One of my engines is 270 and no I'm not selling it

Back
Top Bottom