Kz1000R1 Eddie Lawson Clone

jcote75

Hi all,

Here is my winter project:

Will be doing a ELR clone from a 1982 GPZ1100 and a 1981 KZ1000J. From what I've found, the ELR is made frome parts of these 2 bikes. I'm using the GPZ frame since it is all in regulation. (the Kz haven't run for at least 8 years).

Usaualy, an ELR is a J bike with GPZ bodywork, oil cooler, footpeg, front brake and master cylinder and shifter linkage. The shock, seat and Kerker is unique to the ELR. Lucky for me, I've just bouth a pair of shock from a Zephyr which are the same except the color.

Since I'm using the GPZ as a base, I'll transfer the complete front end, motor, gauge, carbs, airbox from the KZ to the GPZ.

Here is the picture of the GPz and KZ before tear down.

Everything is now back from the powdercoater. Look like new! Here is a picture at where I am right now.

Engine has been repaint and a head job down. Can't wait to put back together and hear it running with the Kerker.

I'll try to post additonnal picture when the motor will be in.

BTW: Will have a load of part for sale. Mainly from the Kz1000J. PM me if someone interested in something.

Joce

Hey sweet ride! Love Kawi's! I have a '74 H2 and a '77 KZ1000 Streetfighter!

It looks like I'm going to be the 'proud' owner of a '76 KZ900 soon!

I might be interested in some of those parts you're talking about.

Where are you located?

I was about to buy a KZ900 tonight but it sold sometime this afternoon!! :mad: Are these things hard to find? I haven't been looking for too long, but I'd like to find one.

76 was a transition year i believe. They went from being the legendary and vaunted Z1 900 to the KZ900, and KZ900LTD (BOO) Both are great bikes. The Z1 however had that classic look to it still. The KZ became what was to be from KAW.

TonUpSoldier said:
76 was a transition year i believe. They went from being the legendary and vaunted Z1 900 to the KZ900, and KZ900LTD (BOO) Both are great bikes. The Z1 however had that classic look to it still. The KZ became what was to be from KAW.

And the KZ had 10 less HP than the Z1

TonUpSoldier said:
KZ?? 76?? You sure its not a Z1? Last year.

Nope. The last year for the Z1 was 1975, the Z1b. In '76 it was renamed the KZ900. The next year the displacement was bumped up to 1015cc's and called the KZ1000 and so on, and so on... ;D

hrm. Ive seen frame badges that say to the otherwise. BUT, there are many GS models (such as the 77 and 78 750s) that had mid year switches.

TonUpSoldier said:
hrm. Ive seen frame badges that say to the otherwise. BUT, there are many GS models (such as the 77 and 78 750s) that had mid year switches.

There could be 'year of mfg issues' but as far as the official model year designations for the Kawis, my list should be correct for the 900/1000.

I believe there were other models designated as KZ's (eg. KZ400) before '76. It's my understanding that Kawasaki unified all the 4 stroke models as 'KZ' in '76, so '75 should be the last year for the Z1.

My 2 cents!! ;D ;D ;D Class dismissed. ;)

Hey Joce!!..
How are you man??!!... Been a long time?... Where have you been hiding??? in the snow no doubt!!...LOL!!
I was in Quebec City the Friday before Christmas & I was gonna try to get ahold of you to get together from some drinks, but time didnt permit!!..

This spring...

Nice projects dude!!..

Cheers
N

Keep the project pix comin Joce. I'd love to have an ELR, or clone.

KZs were badged as Zs in Europe and elsewhere. '76 would be either a KZ900 or Z900.

Been hiding in the snow for sure. You just can't beleive how much I gotten in the yard the last 2 month!! Never seen so much!

As for the bike, the motor is now in the frame and steering install.

Actullay refreshing the gauges.

I'll try to post some additionnal picture.

Putting back the motor was a great releif. Starting to look like a real moptorcycle now.

I received also some decals from reproduction decals. Seem to e great quality at first view. Can't wait to have them on once everyhing is paint.

Will need to have my carbs rebuilt. Anyone know a canadian shop that has a good expetise in those carbs (Mikuni)

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom