80' CB750F: Steal.Blu 'CB3'

Tank: Strap or Stripe? See photos PG2

• Leather Strap/buckle (over new fuel cap)

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • White Stripe (match #, fender, gauge)

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

full on tin

Picked up the bike a few months ago and have been trying to mix building & riding before the winter hits in Wisconsin... and I mean WINTER. I know the 70's SOHC CB4's are much more smiled upon, and they DO look the most raw. But, I wanted to go for something a little different. A 1980 CB750F.

CTLuba's Build really inspired me: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=19388.0
Critiques please! It's my first build and I enjoy critical feedback.

Bike was pretty clean at purchase. Many rebuilt components, very well maintained, bunch extra parts, good price too.IMG_3211 by full of tin, on Flickr
I was initially set on all white, but I changed my mind after a few other explorations. (Thanks CTluba, I used his photo as a ref point in this Photoshop) WIZ_WHIT by full of tin, on Flickr
I thought the 'Steal.Blu' was a refined and subtle colour. Had some fun rendering her in some different scenes. Stealer_opp_room by full of tin, on Flickr

.....now lets get to it! Stripped down a bit, and starting saddle mock-up
IMG_3215 by full of tin, on Flickr
Hack:
IMG_3359 by full of tin, on Flickr
FiberGlassed Pan:... let her sit & move on to the comfy part.
IMG_3367 by full of tin, on Flickr

Ahhhh. Leathah time!
S.R.Harris Textile warehouse for a great Half Hide ~$70....

IMG_3283 by full of tin, on Flickr

JUST the colour I was looking for. Burnt-Oragne // Matte finish // Medium Grain. ~5oz I think?, prefect balance of tough/pliable.
IMG_3385 by full of tin, on Flickr

Cast Iron Singer + Butcher Block Deck + Walking Foot... this cow doesn't stand a chance!
IMG_3374 by full of tin, on Flickr

Die Cast Aluminum Fiskars prototype shears that never made it to market, don't ask me how I got em' ;) But they butter through the thick leather
IMG_0717 by full of tin, on Flickr
Roll the seams and the leather creases like paper, no tacking needed:
IMG_3386 by full of tin, on Flickr
Pretty simple pattern, Just finished sewing the Ribs in.
IMG_3391 by full of tin, on Flickr
Gator clips work the best: regular pins leave holes and are a biatch to pull through.
IMG_3392 by full of tin, on Flickr
Woot:
IMG_3393 by full of tin, on Flickr
Foam strips give the ribs extra tuft, and hides the inner seams.
IMG_3395 by full of tin, on Flickr
Poor fit in this IMG, sorry, I hate the puckering. test paint colour laid down for reference:
IMG_3411 by full of tin, on Flickr
Thinking about white still... concealed all the seams except for the white accent on the cording (or 'piping' some may say)
IMG_3408 by full of tin, on FlickrMore to come soon....

Re: 80' CB750F: Steal.Blu

Ok. the sitting position is much better... especially with the clubman bars. Rear Sets' WILL be needed down the line.

Screen shot 2011-10-09 at 6.34.59 PM by full of tin, on Flickr

Shaved the Screw Bosses. then prime everything:

IMG_3436 by full of tin, on Flickr

Screen shot 2011-10-09 at 6.34.20 PM by full of tin, on Flickr

Screen shot 2011-10-09 at 6.33.03 PM by full of tin, on Flickr

Colour base laid down...a very Cool Gray w/ blue metal flake... 'Steal.Blu'

IMG_3485 by full of tin, on Flickr

Glossed Clear, hard and ready for 3M compound. wax on wax off

IMG_3521 by full of tin, on Flickr

Nice job, I love the walk-thru. It's great not only seeing the before and after, but also how your plans come to life.

The seat work is awesome. I can never quite figure out how it goes from raw material to the finished product, but yours got me a little closer.

Really nice seat work!!!

I wish I had seen this before I started mine this weekend. I have a CB900F which has the same tank, tail, and side covers. I used the stock pan also, but yours came out a little shorter than mine (I wanted it shorter). I moved my tail fin forward on the seat pan, where the rise on the seat pan is at the back of my tail section. I was too scared to chop of the old pan like you did lol. I want to use filler on the sides of the pan to get them smooth and flat. I will actually have the new seat pan molded over that, and then it will sit on top of all the fiberglass work. Hard to explain, but I plan on starting a very slow build thread soon (maybe later today).

Great looking ride, exactly the route Im taking with my own.

Nice! If you ever need work done on that awesome singer let me know... I "know a guy". I prefer toyotas but the singer is great.

Actually on second thought... since seeing those shears you have maybe I should be calling you!! haha!

sallgoodguy said:
Actually on second thought... since seeing those shears you have maybe I should be calling you!! haha!

Always looking for a new/better machine tech. I can run them, but I'm lost when it comes to timing. May be in touch with you in the future.

I like to show the transformation steps along the way, it's always helpful when I see other builds done this way... Plus it justifies all the hours on bike :)

Looking great! The leather work is beautiful. My vote is for the stripe - classic race look. Also, I really like the styling... using the stock tank and seat; taking the original design and cleaning it up. It's like the how the bike was meant to be. I'm doing something similar with my gs750. Keep up the good work! I'm assuming you're quite deft in photoshop, because some of those pics look unbelievable!

Cheers

I have to join the admiring throng praising your work on the seat.
The whole picture really works keeping to Mr Honda's original style.
Sweet.
White stripe btw!
:)

CB750F: Steal.Blu WINTER UPDATE

The local biker crew got a 'co-op-shop' going this fall. 4 of us building 8ish bikes in an old shop.

This has allowed me to dive a lot deeper... still not sure if that's good or not...?

So she has been stripped and cleaned up a bit.
-Reinforced swingarm on (as if I make enough power for it haha)
-Wheels painted
-Aluminum cases polished
-Frame painted
-Exhaust chopped (fabing mounts for a Yoshi Can)

IMG_4055 by full of tin, on Flickr

Rear-Sets completed:
more like mid-sets :-\

IMG_4211 by full of tin, on Flickr
...super tape FTW, yes it was temporary.

IMG_4213 by full of tin, on Flickr

IMG_4208 by full of tin, on Flickr
lock nuts for linkage arm on their way.

IMG_4214 by full of tin, on Flickr

Next big project: Fabricated Air Box.
-Hate the stock box
-Want a fresh look
-Want to hear that intake sucking
-Pods/Carbs can be finicky...want to maintain stock reliability
-It's still winter in Wisconsin....time.

IMG_4218 by full of tin, on Flickr

IMG_4224 by full of tin, on Flickr

Its cool how you made a mock up intake, Like the sketches.

Also like how you said "yes it was temporary" you knew someone was going to give you a hard time. ;D

It seems like you are distracted with this build. Is there something else you are working on perhaps? ;)

Keep it goin! I like the white stripe I think. The leather strap would be cool but I think after a while the look wouldn't hold up to the rest of the crispy bike.

What time was it when you were working on this?

Cheers.

CB750F: Steal.Blu (Spring Ride Pics)

The CX500 has been getting all the project updates... but the CB750 is the one that puts That grin on my face when I ride. Feels odd when I drive my car. (only if it's raining / transporting somthing that can't fit in my pack.

Untitled by full of tin, on Flickr

Buddies CB200T. I did the seat to match the tank pad...oh and I guess he did everything else. :)

IMG_5105 by full of tin, on Flickr
Girl on Girl action...proper gear and everythang

Back
Top Bottom