Wife Bike - CB100

Already has a low pipe on it, but does have higher bars. Still has an N.A.S. Millington (TN, former home of the Blue Angels) gate pass decal on the fork. PM me a list of what you've got, money's a bit tight but she's had the bike since she was 10 or 12 (she's 50 now) and does want me to do it up for her grandniece (if we can convince the little girl to be more of a tomboy than a girly girl). Side panels, battery retainer strap, carb to airbox tube, the last "mechanic" my father in law sent it to sanded the carb slide with 36 grit because the cable was sticking and he is an idiot... 14 years ago I had it running like it was brand new, then we moved to the west coast and left the bike in TN, my then 70 something father in law rode it around for a few years and then chucked it back in the barn, only to decide he wanted it running again and let the parts guy at the local NAPA haul it off to "repair" it... We moved back to the farm, found out the guy had been messing the bike up for 3 years, went and rescued it.

Not sure if its much use to you, but take a look

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=46331.msg510377#msg510377

Wife Bike - CB100

Domiken said:
Enjoyed the thread, well done, came out great, too bad you sold it.

Thanks for the kind words, she will missed. The 60miles I put on it were fun.

Hi guys, new member here. Look what showed up in my shop this week?

cb100.jpg

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I am hoping the OP will chime in here. This little beauty showed up, needing the tank derusted and lined. The customer also noted that it didn't want to take throttle very well.

I popped off the bowl and found that someone had installed the wrong float, (too narrow, wrong size float pin) and the float was hanging off when I took the bowl off. It has a #105 main in it, and was wondering what a good starting point for jetting is? I don't have much experience with these little machines, and the info on the internet is a bit sparse. It seems to be mostly stock, save for the pod filter. The problem might have been flooding, seeing as how the float wasn't operational, but before I stick it back together, I was just seeing what the OP thought, or if he ever got it running well, I did read the thread, but got kinda lost.. lol

BEAUTIFUL LITTLE BIKE, KUDOS to the builder, everyone here LOVES IT!!!

Andy

EDIT: I read the thread again, so I am a bit more clear on it's history. But, did it ever run right? Smooth acceleration? Because it sure doesn't want to now. The petcock was almost completely filled with rust, so that wasn't helping, and the float was wrong, like I said. I think I will fix those things, and when the tank liner is dry, stick it back together and see how it does, if it still doesn't want to take throttle, I'll go from there

StanfordMotorsports said:
Hi guys, new member here. Look what showed up in my shop this week?

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I am hoping the OP will chime in here. This little beauty showed up, needing the tank derusted and lined. The customer also noted that it didn't want to take throttle very well.

I popped off the bowl and found that someone had installed the wrong float, (too narrow, wrong size float pin) and the float was hanging off when I took the bowl off. It has a #105 main in it, and was wondering what a good starting point for jetting is? I don't have much experience with these little machines, and the info on the internet is a bit sparse. It seems to be mostly stock, save for the pod filter. The problem might have been flooding, seeing as how the float wasn't operational, but before I stick it back together, I was just seeing what the OP thought, or if he ever got it running well, I did read the thread, but got kinda lost.. lol

BEAUTIFUL LITTLE BIKE, KUDOS to the builder, everyone here LOVES IT!!!

Andy

Sorry the new owner is having issues, it was running well when he bought it (and he took it for a ride to test it). Stock jet is 110 but with the pod filter these little motors need to be jetted down. If you put the stock 110 it'll run like crap and way to rich (I tried it), if anything you could try going down to a 100, but I would bet you would be to lean. The float is the stock float, I gave the current owner another carb that should be the exact same. If the float wasn't sitting right when together then it should have been peeing gas everywhere. The bowl itself holds the pin in place, so when you take the bowl off the pin can very easily slide a little and lose position. But, if you ask the owner for the other carb you could take it apart and check the float/pin between the two.

When its cold it doesn't like to take quick throttle you need to roll on it a bit, once its warmed up ive never had an issues. Ive heard the same from most all 100 and 125 owners, being so small and 1cyl they are a little temperamental.

Well, it's possible that someone else worked on the carb before I got it then. But the float is most certainly not the stock or correct float. I have another identical carb here with the correct float and float pin in it, I robbed those parts and now the float and pin are correct. Give me a few and I'll post the differences. The float that was in this bike when it got here, was much too narrow, the float has to fit between the float stanchions with very little space, and the float that was in this bike was much too narrow and was getting hung up on the carb body, the pin was much too small and would just fall out, letting one side of the float drop down... but that is corrected now. I have been rebuilding motorcycle and auto carbs for almost 40 years... just to let you know. I just don't have a lot of experience with this particular small engine.

BEAUTIFUL bike, we just love it. I'll post up what it takes to get her going right again. I am suspecting all the rust in the tank, and the petcock screen was much of the problem, when it got here, it would barely pee fuel out of the petcock... rust never sleeps!!!

Great job on the build!!!

Well, it's possible that someone else worked on the carb before I got it then. But the float is most certainly not the stock or correct float. I have another identical carb here with the correct float and float pin in it, I robbed those parts and now the float and pin are correct. Give me a few and I'll post the differences. The float that was in this bike when it got here, was much too narrow, the float has to fit between the float stanchions with very little space, and the float that was in this bike was much too narrow and was getting hung up on the carb body, the pin was much too small and would just fall out, letting one side of the float drop down... but that is corrected now. I have been rebuilding motorcycle and auto carbs for almost 40 years... just to let you know. I just don't have a lot of experience with this particular small engine.

BEAUTIFUL bike, we just love it. I'll post up what it takes to get her going right again. I am suspecting all the rust in the tank, and the petcock screen was much of the problem, when it got here, it would barely pee fuel out of the petcock... rust never sleeps!!!

Great job on the build!!!

Sounds like it could have been starving then, hope that was the issue, its an 'easy' fix. I also gave the owner a shop manual for the bike, so if you needed to check some specs im sure he could bring it down for you.

Here you go:

The float on the left was in the bike, the float on the right is the correct float for the bike, same with the pins, you can see how short and small the pin that was in the bike is... it allowed the float to get all cockeyed in there, and hang up, mostly closed, hence the not leaking through the overflow, but the level couldn't have been even close to right, or consistant...

we will see how she does with the correct parts. No idea who put this in there, but it surely wasn't correct.

floats.jpg

JSJamboree said:
Sounds like it could have been starving then, hope that was the issue, its an 'easy' fix. I also gave the owner a shop manual for the bike, so if you needed to check some specs im sure he could bring it down for you.

Thanks! Believe me he is happy with the bike. He absolutely loves it. (as does everyone that sees it...)

Once again, GREAT job!

Here you go:

The float on the left was in the bike, the float on the right is the correct float for the bike, same with the pins, you can see how short and small the pin that was in the bike is... it allowed the float to get all cockeyed in there, and hang up, mostly closed, hence the not leaking through the overflow, but the level couldn't have been even close to right, or consistant...

we will see how she does with the correct parts. No idea who put this in there, but it surely wasn't correct.

Not sure about the pin, by the float itself does look to by the one I used :-[

Hey, can you tell me what brand of silver paint you used for the case covers?? I accidently stripped some off with gas... ooops... I'd like to be able to match it without repainting the whole thing...

Hey, can you tell me what brand of silver paint you used for the case covers?? I accidently stripped some off with gas... ooops... I'd like to be able to match it without repainting the whole thing...

Checked, I dont have it anymore. It was just run of the mill engine paint I picked up from Lowes. Likely Rustolium High temp Engine enamel.

Gotcha, thanks. I'll stop by there today and see what all silver they have.

By the way, it's running pretty darned good with the other float in there. Kept the 105 like you said. I am betting the trailer/truck ride from indy shook that float sideways and let the pin fall partially out.. all is well now, as far as I can tell.

Thanks again for the help!

Andy

Gotcha, thanks. I'll stop by there today and see what all silver they have.

By the way, it's running pretty darned good with the other float in there. Kept the 105 like you said. I am betting the trailer/truck ride from indy shook that float sideways and let the pin fall partially out.. all is well now, as far as I can tell.

Thanks again for the help!

Andy

Glad you got it all squared away! And glad you like it, was sad to sell it but I built it for the wife to learn on and once it was done she didn't want to ride it because she was scared to ruin it.

Re: Wife Bike - CB100

I do not have the paint code, I pulled it off a Napa paint chip. If you have a Napa store they may be able to help

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom