www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: EGLI frame, TR1 engine, build from scratch  (Read 66581 times)

Offline 50gary

• Under the Limelight
Re: EGLI frame, TR1 engine, build from scratch
« Reply #200 on: Jun 04, 2016, 17:26:38 »
Wow, one of my DTT favorites comes back!  Great job all around.  It's encouraging to hear how well it handles and brakes.  Well done vintage style bikes still have a chance.  You said you'd run it a Spa in the vintage enduro  races.  Did that happen?  A video would be fun to see and hear the bike.
  Cheers, 50gary
Short track speedskating, cycling, guitars, motorcycles, juggling dynamite. I was born to laugh at Tornadoes.

Offline loekm

• TR1 racer is starting to look like a bike!
« Reply #201 on: Jun 05, 2016, 04:52:18 »
Hey Gary,

Spa didn't happen... The event became an official FIM championship and is WAY more expensive than it was.... You can not take part without a racing licence... So it will not happen in the near future. I'm going to the event to assist a team in pitstops, good fun!

I hope to participate in Oschersleben this fall. Also a 3 hour race for amateurs. www.classicendurance.com

I shot a video of a small testdrive long ago, it's not running as good as it is now, and the clutch wasn't working ok..... but you get the point. No actual footage of tracktime as the gopro didn't work.... stupid thing.

Best regards,

Loek

B

Offline themotoworks

• the motoworks
« Reply #202 on: May 18, 2017, 15:44:10 »
what is the thickness on that large diameter tubing and is the material chromoly?  I'm trying to design a similar frame but can't find chromoly tubing like that

Offline YamahaTR1

« Reply #203 on: Jun 05, 2017, 13:05:14 »
This is not what yamaha had in mind when building the virago. Great work!

Offline loekm

• TR1 racer is starting to look like a bike!
« Reply #204 on: Jun 06, 2017, 05:30:34 »
Well maybe Yamaha had something like it in mind when disigning the TR1 :D It has some "race pedigree" It was sure against the mainstream of that era...

Whatever! I like the engine and it works quite good for me :)

And as we're replying ;) hereby a small update:

The bike has seen quite some track time last season. Had a lot of fun and the bike performed better than expected:

Time for some serious upgrades over winter! A pair of dellorto PHM40's were installed and a set of custom rotors

CAD of rotor:

Rotor in real life:

Rotor and bracket on wheel:

Dellorto's:

So I was ready and psyched for a new season of trackdays :) Power went up from 55Hp or so to 65Hp at the wheel and torque was almost 80Nm at the wheel as well!

And then all went wrong on the first trackday of the season...... :-[ Bad wheather, wet track, rider mistake at the end of straight, to much rear brake, whoop, crash......

Not to much damage, at least no structural damage. new parts needed:
- fairing
- master brake cylinder + handle
- throttle
- brake line

and some small stuf

Also the aluminium tank got punctured... and a footstep needed some serious repair. So the bike was disassembled, new stuff ordered and old stuf and I'm putting it together... hope to be ready for a trackday in the near future.

Best regards,

Loek

Offline 50gary

• Under the Limelight
« Reply #205 on: Jun 06, 2017, 09:58:03 »
Loek, so good to hear from you with the update.  Every step of the way your work is professional, the brake rotor is outstanding.  10bhp wow a 15% increase!  One of my favorite builds ever on DTT, plus it's a track bike, well done.
  Cheers, 50gary
Short track speedskating, cycling, guitars, motorcycles, juggling dynamite. I was born to laugh at Tornadoes.