www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: EGLI frame, TR1 engine, build from scratch  (Read 56699 times)

Offline ProSimex

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • RUN SCREAMING!!!
Re: EGLI frame, TR1 engine, build from scratch
« Reply #45 on: Feb 11, 2012, 11:36:27 »
"kill the doner bike"

Yuuuuup, snuffed her but good.
"Love is the feelin you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."

"That's got CV's? Take a #2 phillips screwdriver, heat the tip with a torch until cherry red and plunge it into your eye. It will hurt less. Really."- Kopcicle

Offline 50gary

• Under the Limelight
« Reply #46 on: Feb 11, 2012, 21:43:43 »
 Loekm  Good call, I have the very same tires on my Honda CX500 conversion. I like them quite a bit.  Good grip and very stable.  Suppose to be good in foul weather but luckily I haven't had to test that facet of them.

Cheers, 50gary

« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2012, 21:51:04 by 50gary »
Short track speedskating, cycling, guitars, motorcycles, juggling dynamite. I was born to laugh at Tornadoes.

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #47 on: Feb 11, 2012, 21:54:23 »
This thing sure is puuurdy.
The faces of the damned
And all the butchered lambs
If I had to do it over
I just would've done it slower

Offline loekm

• TR1 racer is starting to look like a bike!
« Reply #48 on: Feb 12, 2012, 15:44:57 »
Hi 50gary,

Good to hear about the tires, I couldn't find a lot about them so I trusted the tireman in this one. And he has some experience 8).

Next thing on my list is the looks of the bike, I'll try and put everything together for a mockup to check proportions. So wheels, tank, seat, exhaust and of course frame and engine will be put together sort of... We'll see how that works out and the get it going!!

I'll keep you all informed!

Best regards,

Loek

Offline 1969Honda

« Reply #49 on: Feb 14, 2012, 07:30:25 »
Can't wait to see the beast in tins!
"Life happens, you'll either get over it or die from it"

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #50 on: Feb 14, 2012, 10:39:54 »
Loek,

I'm posting a pic of MY workshop facilities to make you really jealous ;) ;) ;)

Hopefully all will change in a few weeks when I move into my shared hobby workshop.

truly sensational work my friend ........................ 8) 8)

"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

Offline loekm

« Reply #51 on: Feb 14, 2012, 16:57:03 »
Hey Mr. beachcomber,

Thanks for the compliments ;D Hope to make lots of progress soon... There is some sort off classic 4hours endurance demo race in the Netherlands, and it would be a very nice test drive.

Your operation theatre looks awesome  ;) maybe not the space but the parts.....

Best regards,

Loek

Offline wfo guy

« Reply #52 on: Feb 14, 2012, 21:00:28 »
It's obvious to me that you have skills in the machine shop, a friend who can weld, and computer skills. Are you also a painter?  :) I'm enjoying this. I hope you're enjoying the journey.

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #53 on: Feb 15, 2012, 05:26:24 »
Hey Mr. beachcomber,

Thanks for the compliments ;D Hope to make lots of progress soon... There is some sort off classic 4hours endurance demo race in the Netherlands, and it would be a very nice test drive.

Your operation theatre looks awesome  ;) maybe not the space but the parts.....

Best regards,

Loek

In my defence Loek - I'm not normally an untidy person. However, when I had the sudden loss of a second garage [ same size ] that was rammed with my parts and projects - it all had to be condensed into my "working" garage - in 8 hours !

Hopefully, I will be able to post a much better workspace in the next 2-3 weeks after my move.
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

Offline loekm

« Reply #54 on: Feb 15, 2012, 14:39:52 »
Good afternoon,

@Swivel:
Thanks for the technical comments! I realy like the fact that other people look into the engineering side of my project!

I've seen the construction of the bike you refered to and it is a good option as you explained, but i think that part of the engine is quite strong. It is one of the original mounting points of the engine into the frame, and it takes a big part of the chain force. The smal piece that can be seen in my pictures will be strong, but there will be more mounting points later. We'll see, I keep you informed.

In this gallery: http://www.tr1.de/pages/gallery_sepp.php there are some nice pictures of non standard TR1 engined bikes to compare mounting points.

About the injection on my bike..... it's a plan.... 8) First get this thing safe on the road and then try and see what I can do with the spare engine. Thanks for the camshaft offer! I'll see if they're needed. The injection plan so far is BMW throtlle boddies, and maybe this injection system: http://www.ecotrons.com/ or a megasquirt equivalent.

Thanks again for the comments, please keep them comming!

Best regards,

Loek

Offline Swagger

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Putting boot to ass since 1967!
« Reply #55 on: Feb 15, 2012, 15:01:30 »
I'm with Loek on this one; EFI is just too good and too easy to implement these days to pass up. I'll be running a microsquirt controller and a couple Buel throttle bodies on mine, I can have it up and running for under $700, tunable via my tablet. I've got those flatslides on the Triumph and as much as I love them (and I do) when it comes time I'll swap it to EFI as well.
It would be difficult to turn away from precise mapping, ignition curve control, elevation compensation, knock sensing etc.....
.....there's no way that little rice cooker is going 100m/h when the work need to get up to those speeds includes a big fuck off fairing shaped like a giant cock. ~Staffy

Weiner tetanus is nothing to scoff at. ~JustinLonghorn

« Reply #56 on: Feb 16, 2012, 14:03:05 »
For the swingarm pivot: did you machine a collar to go around the needle bearings? I was trying to figure out the make of the bearing and how it is used, but looking at it I imagine you might have machined the collar so the bearings can't slide inward past the races - which are in turn held apart by the tubular spacer.

Is that what's going on there? If not, what keeps the bearings from sliding inward where the collars would put pressure on the swingarm pivot tube?

For some reason bearings give me the hardest time where they are expected to handle loads in more than one direction - seems it's always necessary to include a small gap in the design. I default to radial contact bearings, but they don't have the contact area of needle bearings.

Wonderful work!

Offline 50gary

• Under the Limelight
« Reply #57 on: Feb 16, 2012, 18:10:11 »
Angular contact bearings will bear load in both radial and axial directions.  Tapered or dual tapered roller bearing will also carry those loads.  Tapered rollers are for heavier loading. 
  Cheers, 50gary
Short track speedskating, cycling, guitars, motorcycles, juggling dynamite. I was born to laugh at Tornadoes.

Offline loekm

« Reply #58 on: Feb 17, 2012, 03:57:09 »
Goodmorning gentlemen!

@CoopersmithingCo:
I checked your website a bit.... WOW sheetmetal skills look very nice, frame building as well. About the bearings... The ones I chose are: SKF-NKX-30-Z. They are combined needle / thrust bearins in one piece. Here's the technical sheet I think this makes it a bit more clear. I machined nothing special for the bearings, just some spacers to keep the inner rings in place.

@Swagger:
Are you installing EFI at this moment? I would really like to hear your experience in terms of power and torque difference compared to carbs and all the challenges you met ;)

Best regards,

Loek

Offline loekm

« Reply #59 on: Feb 17, 2012, 12:06:57 »
Hi again,

Just checked the pictures from yesterday... did some mockup to see proportions and lines of the bike.

I'm quite happy with the result, now a week of holliday, and then PROGRESS ;D

Best regards,

Loek