www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: EGLI frame, TR1 engine, build from scratch  (Read 63148 times)

Offline devon

Re: EGLI frame, TR1 engine, build from scratch
« Reply #40 on: Jan 24, 2012, 13:57:09 »
Really interesting! I'm definitely tuned in for this one.

Offline loekm

• TR1 racer is starting to look like a bike!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 28, 2012, 17:21:14 »
Hey Guys,

Difficult progress this week.... Some pieces from the last update were welded in place and today I made a small, but difficult, step. At the left side of the frame there has to be a hole through the frame for a very importand mounting point. This is the point that takes the most force when accelerating.

The mounting point:

Other side:

I knew this mounting point was coming, and today I had enough time to think about it for a bit then measure twice and cut once ;) The plan is to weld a solid piece in the frame and put a bolt through straight into the engine. So accuracy is very importand. And the problem is to clamp the frame... Mill wasn't big enough so drill pres it was... And of course that machine is not as rigid as the mill so clamping was a challenge

Clamping took some fantasy today (and almost 2 hours hours) :) But in the end Mr. holesaw coul do his job, it all worked as planned and they lived happily ever after ;D

Clamping fantasy:

And again:

The finished hole:

And the hole mounting point complete:

Next week the wheels are back, and then the swingarm is priority, hope to have it on his wheels within a month or so :D

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Best regards,

Loek

Offline Staffy

• It's not yours 'til you cut it up.
« Reply #42 on: Jan 28, 2012, 19:30:05 »
The engineering and thought gone into this bike is second to none.  I have to say I'm thouroughly captivated with this build (if not a little jealous of the toys at your disposal).
Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming!

Offline 50gary

• Under the Limelight
« Reply #43 on: Jan 28, 2012, 19:35:00 »
Very nice hold on a rather difficult part.  Frames are always awkward to clamp and the Egli frame takes the prize.  I did a swingarm mounting modification.  Added a boss and second outside plate and a few other things.  We turned the boss O.D. and the I.D. just close but undersized, then bored it on a horizontal boring mill to exact spec.  Holding was easier because of the two bottom frame tubes.   The partial frame is a '73 RT 360 conversion.  Fun to watch your work.
  Cheers, 50gary

« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2012, 19:45:52 by 50gary »
Short track speedskating, cycling, guitars, motorcycles, juggling dynamite. I was born to laugh at Tornadoes.

Offline loekm

« Reply #44 on: Feb 11, 2012, 07:55:29 »
Hey Guys,

I've been waiting longer than expected for my wheels.... So in the meantime decided to kill the donorbike...

Bike still complete (sort off):

1 hour into the kill:

2 hours into the kill:

So after almost 3 hours the donor bike is no more and pile of junk is a bit bigger :) The motor stays in the bare frame for easy storage and some measurements. Finally the wheels came back this thursday ;D and I was really happy with that. Today went to the tireshop and got the tires mounted, and now my wheels look like this:

instead of this:

Now there is some more progress to be expected in the next few weeks!!

Best regards,

Loek

Offline ProSimex

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • RUN SCREAMING!!!
« Reply #45 on: Feb 11, 2012, 11:36:27 »
"kill the doner bike"

Yuuuuup, snuffed her but good.
"Love is the feelin you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."

"That's got CV's? Take a #2 phillips screwdriver, heat the tip with a torch until cherry red and plunge it into your eye. It will hurt less. Really."- Kopcicle

Offline 50gary

• Under the Limelight
« Reply #46 on: Feb 11, 2012, 21:43:43 »
 Loekm  Good call, I have the very same tires on my Honda CX500 conversion. I like them quite a bit.  Good grip and very stable.  Suppose to be good in foul weather but luckily I haven't had to test that facet of them.

Cheers, 50gary

« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2012, 21:51:04 by 50gary »
Short track speedskating, cycling, guitars, motorcycles, juggling dynamite. I was born to laugh at Tornadoes.

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #47 on: Feb 11, 2012, 21:54:23 »
This thing sure is puuurdy.
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline loekm

« Reply #48 on: Feb 12, 2012, 15:44:57 »
Hi 50gary,

Good to hear about the tires, I couldn't find a lot about them so I trusted the tireman in this one. And he has some experience 8).

Next thing on my list is the looks of the bike, I'll try and put everything together for a mockup to check proportions. So wheels, tank, seat, exhaust and of course frame and engine will be put together sort of... We'll see how that works out and the get it going!!

I'll keep you all informed!

Best regards,

Loek

Offline 1969Honda

« Reply #49 on: Feb 14, 2012, 07:30:25 »
Can't wait to see the beast in tins!
"Life happens, you'll either get over it or die from it"