www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: EGLI frame, TR1 engine, build from scratch  (Read 60273 times)

Offline Swagger

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Putting boot to ass since 1967!
Re: EGLI frame, TR1 engine, build from scratch
« Reply #75 on: Mar 06, 2012, 18:51:54 »
Such nice looking work! I have yet to track down a decent local source for oval tubing.....
.....there's no way that little rice cooker is going 100m/h when the work need to get up to those speeds includes a big fuck off fairing shaped like a giant cock. ~Staffy

Weiner tetanus is nothing to scoff at. ~JustinLonghorn

Offline loekm

• TR1 racer is starting to look like a bike!
« Reply #76 on: Mar 08, 2012, 16:07:21 »
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the compliments... Very cool you guys keep watching the build and comment!

@50Gary: I watched a few other build around the internet very close the last 2 years... and what i'm building now is somehow a combination off the different builds. So I don't know if the flat oval tubing is EGLI original or not. I just like the looks of it... good combination between rectangular and round.... 8)

@Swagger: I think sourcing parts is sometimes quite difficult. I find myself in the absolute luxury that i'm allowed to use the workshop at work and given that, I can source all the materials with the big "industrial" suppliers.... and I can tell you, it makes a hell of a difference. All my luxury situation brings more respect for the builds people finish in their sheds or garage!!

The weekend will be construction time again ;D so updates will be coming sunday.

Best regards,

Loek

Offline loekm

« Reply #77 on: Mar 12, 2012, 06:32:02 »
Gentlemen,

Just a speedy picture update.... because it's worktime ;D

Swing arm with paper reinforcements:

First steering head insert:

Milling the other side of steering head level to top:

Swing arm now with lasercut steel reinforcements ;D:

Finished steering head with fork:

Frame with front side and back side "complete":

Explanation will soon follow, because not everything went perfectly smooth...

Best regards,

Loek

Offline 1969Honda

« Reply #78 on: Mar 12, 2012, 09:17:56 »
Lovin' those gorgeous welds
"Life happens, you'll either get over it or die from it"

Offline 50gary

• Under the Limelight
« Reply #79 on: Mar 12, 2012, 10:24:27 »
Very nice indeed.  It will be interesting to hear your explanation, looks good from here? 
  Cheers, 50gary
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2012, 10:33:38 by 50gary »
Short track speedskating, cycling, guitars, motorcycles, juggling dynamite. I was born to laugh at Tornadoes.

Offline Swagger

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Putting boot to ass since 1967!
« Reply #80 on: Mar 12, 2012, 17:55:08 »
Very cool, can't wait to see more.....
.....there's no way that little rice cooker is going 100m/h when the work need to get up to those speeds includes a big fuck off fairing shaped like a giant cock. ~Staffy

Weiner tetanus is nothing to scoff at. ~JustinLonghorn

Offline loekm

« Reply #81 on: Mar 18, 2012, 13:43:39 »
Good afternoon,

Next small steps in the process :) wheels are in and engine is almost in... It took some time to do... lots of measuring (wheel allignment) and not realy much work. Only some spacers on the lathe. But the result looks nice.

Wheels are in:

Engine in place but not mounted:

Thought about rear suspension a bit and found these bitubo shocks. They look good and can be ajusted if needed.

Next importand thing is enginemounts and subframe for rear suspension and seat!

@50gary:
The story wasn't that interesting after all. I had a small discussion (good discussion) with a dutch guy about how to be sure the bearings are exactly level and centric.  The method i used is not the standard way to machine your steering head so I took a bit of a gamble and it worked out quite well. So all is fine after all and my steering head works great ;)

Best regards,

Loek

Offline 50gary

• Under the Limelight
« Reply #82 on: Mar 18, 2012, 23:01:26 »
Thanks for the reply.  I like your method of mounting the bearings.  It could be used to change the caster with different inserts.  I've been using heavy wall tubing and machining the bearing seats and then turning off the excess weight on the lathe.  It's a nice finished product but a lot of machine work.  I think I'll try your method next, thanks.
  Cheers, 50gary
Short track speedskating, cycling, guitars, motorcycles, juggling dynamite. I was born to laugh at Tornadoes.

Offline loekm

« Reply #83 on: Mar 31, 2012, 19:30:11 »
Hey gentlemen,

It's bin a while... but some things happend in the meantime ;) basicly worked on the frame a lot.

Started the front (and most important) engine mount:

made some extra engine mounts on the back side of the engine:

Now the engine in "on its own":

Thought about the mufflers for a bit:

Got these ducati monster S4R ones for € 90,-- brand new from ebay. I need some good mufflers to be road legal at the test... But after the test... ::)

Test fitted the tank cover and seat:

shortened the seat to my taste and took some measurements for the subframe. Found fiberglass a pain to work with... :( I prefer steel very much;D Respect to the people who make something nice with fiberglass...

Built the subframe (at least tack welded it in place):

Built the subframe a bit more so the builder himself 8) could have the first "test fit" to get some idea of riding position. First, "pits in/out" riding position:

And then the "Radillon-Kemmel-Les Combes" position:

Finally talked to the suspension guy and weighed the bike to order the right springrate suspension. at this moment the bike is 165 Kg :) and I'm happy with that. Hope to keep it close to 200 Kg when finished. In that situation the bike is almost 45 Kg lighter than a standard Yamaha TR1 wich I started with.

That's it for now, suspension should be here within 2 weeks. Than the frame can be finished ;D

Best regards,

Loek

Offline miltola

• SD Cafes...
« Reply #84 on: Mar 31, 2012, 20:01:10 »
Hat's of to you... Very, Very jealous of your work shop man... what wouldn't i give to have such a build environment... anyways great build  ! ! ! ! ! !

If i can make a constructive suggestion... i would opt for a bigger front end like a hayabusa.... but even without it is a dream project ! ! ! ! ! !

Offline Greg-NWO

« Reply #85 on: Mar 31, 2012, 21:06:29 »
Very  cool!  Are you going to find a smaller brake disc for the rear?

Offline Von Kirk 75 dt250

• DT250 project in the works!
« Reply #86 on: Apr 01, 2012, 02:35:14 »
yup, im on board!
Four wheels move the body,
But two wheels move the soul.

I don't need special paint and chrome
for my bike, i know how big my cock is.
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=35089.0

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #87 on: Apr 01, 2012, 10:41:17 »
Absolutly amazing. Can I vote for this as bike of the month as is? ;)
The faces of the damned
And all the butchered lambs
If I had to do it over
I just would've done it slower

Offline loekm

« Reply #88 on: Apr 22, 2012, 10:06:45 »
Good afternoon gentlemen!

Thanks again for the compliments, it really helps :) and keeps the pace going. Some constructionwork has been done over the last weeks. I got my rear suspension parts and mounted them on the frame... all in all it took quite some time to figure out what the right position and way of mounting them right was. But in the end it worked out quite well. On the dutch forum there were some good comments about riding height of the bike and mounting the suspension.

In the pictures on this forum I was using a glassfiber dummy tank to mockup the bike. I pretty much hated working on the glassfiber seat a few weeks back so an aluminium tank is on the way :D  I could order only the tank "shape" and will be making my own tunnel for it, to fit the bike. That of course because a standard imola tank will never fit onto an egli styled frame.

At this moment the bike is on it's wheels and the frame needs only a bit of work to call it "finished" ;D  Than the engine comes out, the frame gets fully welded and really building the bike to a riding state can start, that includes tons of work of course, but it'll be a different type of work and i'm looking forward a LOT.

Pictures in random order:

first attempt on mounting the suspension:

Second attempt after the comments of the dutch forum:

the upper mounting plates are smaller and the lower ones are different. it makes the ride height a bit lower. And looks better.

That's it for now!

Best regards,

Loek

Offline loekm

« Reply #89 on: Apr 29, 2012, 18:33:27 »
Good evening gentlemen,

Had a nice day to work on the bike. Sort of "finished" the frame. I had one piece left to make and did that and a bunch of other stuff.

Last piece of frame to mount the engine comes here:

The piece needs to be bolted to the rest of the frame, otherwise the engine can't come out of the frame.....:

Bolted piece in place:

After this piece, the bike is ready to be disassembled, so the final welding can be done:

And the "finished" frame:

The the big tube is closed:

I welded the swingarm (almost done):

And finally tack welded the mounting for the second cilinder head. It's gonna be a flexible mounting (steel tubes with rubber in between):

From now on It's building the frame and bike to a state for the first test run(s) :D then diassemble again and have the frame checked for licence plate. When the frame passes the test (it's not that hard I heard) the bike will be build up for real (colors and lights etc....)  and the the tested again for safety, noise, lights and road holding capabillities. When that's passed (more difficult than the first test) it gets a licence plate and registration number. I'm even allowed to give the bike it's own brand name ;D

But all that's still quite some time away....

Best regards,

Loek