EGLI frame, TR1 engine, build from scratch

Gentlemen,

It's a while ago since the last update... had a small brake on the EGLI project to help out on another fine project!

CB400f:
IMG_0144.JPG

Picture is old, we finished electrics, brakes and exhaust and now it runs and it's LOUD.

On with the game!
The frame is FINISHED ;D :
IMG_0209.JPG

And I started to take the mockup engine apart... the plan is to make it fuel injected... this engine had a blown head gastket so I tried to take of the cilinder head to see what the damage was. Damn it was difficult :( All went perfect until one of the pins that places the head on the cilinder decided NOT to come out....

Penetrating fluid.... not working
Small plastic hammer.... not working
BIG plastic hammer.... not working
Puller.... not working

In the end, after a good tip on the dutch forum, I took the cilinder/head assembly off and hammered it off from the inside out.

Hammering from the inside:
2012-05-23_12-40-47_595.jpg

And finally a blown head gasket:
2012-05-23_12-48-06_938.jpg

It appears to be a '81 engine, later years head a slightly different cilinder to prevent this damage. Not sure how to prepair this engine for the "uprated" power of fuel injection. But that's something for the next winter.

The pin that dicided NOT to come (bottom side) out lost his battle in the end ;)
2012-05-23_12-48-13_48.jpg

I also found a aluminium tank shell to complete into a imola fueltank that fits the EGLI frame ::) The standard tunnel does not fit the EGLI frame at all, so i got myself something to do over the next few weeks. it took some time to find a company that would only deliver the shell. And now it worked out quite nice :)

Alu tank shell:
IMG_0206.JPG

alu tank shell:
IMG_0208.JPG

Finally the frame is built into a rolling chassis again with some new spacers inside the swingarm and the right spacers on the front brakes. Rear brake caliper is also in but i'm not sure about the rear disk... it's big. We'll see.

It's a roller again:
IMG_0211.JPG

Next week engine into frame, start with the tank, exhaust and so on... lots to be done!

Best regards,

Loek

I have a Flat Track racing friend that builds his own engine based on XS650
castings. He had stud stretch due to the very high comp ratios and 750cc.
His solution was to add two more studs, which he made his own. That's a
laborious task but do-able. ..and yes the rear rotor is big, bigger than the
front(s). Exciting to watch this build.
Cheers, 50gary

Hey gentlemen,

It's been a long time since the last update.... So here we go again.

In terms of fabrication the progress is not as good as I hoped for. But some things happened since last time. The frame is pretty much finished, I put the motor in and all fits great. Since then I started working on the EFI system.... it takes a LOT of time to choose wich one and why... so reading, reading, reading.
Finally bought the ecotrons small EFI kit. The guy was really helping me out in terms of what should be in the kit and how it all works, perfect service. Go ecotrons! Time for pictures!

Current state:
IMG_0219.JPG

The tank is not ready yet, and I dont like the glassfiber seat, thinking of building my own aluminium one... But I'm happy with the overall looks.

Since then, EFI ;D and it really slows down progress in terms of fabrication but really cool to work on.

The kit:
IMG_0232.JPG

One of the challenges is to get a good RPM signal out of my engine. And the old system that's on the bike isn't capable of doing that, it only has signal for ignition. So ALL the old systems have to go, carbs, ignition and electrical system. Best place for a triggerwheel / RPM sensor combination is the cilinder head in this engine. But the problem is that a camshaft only makes half the revs of a crankshaft.... and that's the problem Mr. Ecotrons solved with some software :D Great!

Paper version for design check and testfitting:
2012-07-04_18-15-06_305.jpg

And the steel one in the spare motor:
IMG_0233.JPG

Next is software / ECU communication, works first time:
IMG_0228.JPG

Hardware test for RPM signal and triggerwheel:
IMG_0227.JPG

Houston we have a signal :)
IMG_0231.JPG

Cover for RPM sensor:
IMG_0268.JPG

Ajustment to the cilinder head:
IMG_0265.JPG

And it all fits:
IMG_0269.JPG

This is only a cilinderhead of the spare motor, but it's nice to be able to test fit some parts not damaging the original engine! Next is some more sensor integration (2 temp sensors, MAP sensor TPS sensor....) and mounting the throttle bodies on the real engine.

After the sensor integration the exhaust is next and when that is finished the engine should start or at least I can start trying to start the engine.... or so. I'm very curious how difficult it'll be to dial in such a EFI system.... we'll see. Ecotrons will support in tuning the ECU / software in combination with this motor. So I'm looking forward to it!

That's all for now. Will update faster next time.

Bet regards,

Loek

Is if possible to name a Bike Of The Year, because if so...

Amazing work thus far man. Please keep the updates coming.

Amazing work!

The ECU looks tiny compared to a Microsquirt, if the software is anything like the Micro-S setup you'll have it running in no time.

A few years ago I EFi'd a Chinese C90 knockoff engine using a Micro-S setup, just for fun, do you have any plans to go forced induction??

looks like you have made some big progress since i last ck'd , and everything looks beautiful...
all the equipment is nice but your talent is what makes the big difference ....keep up the great work.
joe@vcycle

Hey gents,

Thanks for the commpliments! they're to much.... I'm just lucky to have acces to all the equipment.... That opportunity started the project in the first place.

@ducatiboy:
The first start will be exciting for sure ;D starting on fabrication of the exhaust system this week (with ducati monster S2R silencers :) ) so the first try to start should not take months from now.

@TwinPlug:
No plans for "forcing" mor air into the engine. I'll keep it normally aspirated. First see what EFI will do.

Best regards,

Loek

Hi,

Here we are again. Started the exhaust fabrication and it worked out quite well ;D or at least I'm happy with it. Two headers are exactly same length and to get that right was at least " a challenge".
Exhaust is a 2 into 1 into 2 system.

Front header:
IMG_0273.JPG

And again:
IMG_0274.JPG

Back header part 1:
IMG_0275.JPG

And on the bike:
IMG_0276.JPG

And again on the bike:
IMG_0277.JPG

Clearance is tight but it just fits ;D.... The back header is a two piece otherwise mounting is almost impossible. And there is almost no straight piece 8) in the back header.
There will be some sort of silencer between the two headers and the pipes to the silencers. that's the goal for this week. Then welding and mounting.

Best regards,

Loek

Beautiful work as usual. Can you share more on the mufflers? I love the look - were these custom fabbed? Also, you wouldn't be interested in making a second set of headers for sale, would you? Loving this build!

Jon

loekm said:
Hi,

Here we are again. Started the exhaust fabrication and it worked out quite well ;D or at least I'm happy with it. Two headers are exactly same length and to get that right was at least " a challenge".
Exhaust is a 2 into 1 into 2 system.

Back
Top Bottom