1972 cl350 project

sexyzombiemath

Hey there. Here is the bike I just bought for cheap in January. Still trying to figure out where I am headed with the look of the bike. I got it back to running smooth. (It had set outside for one month before I rescued it.) The mufflers on it are from an old Sportster and they were on it when I picked it up. Anyone know how this affects the back pressure on the engine?

A few more questions:

where can i get:
-new clamp on bars
-a new more modern fork

Feel free to sling me some ideas.

Love the website and all the work you all have done. Look forward to talking with you all.

Kudos to chrisf and the Texas boys on some nice builds by the way.

-josh in raleigh, nc

Josh,

Welcome to the site... I just got a '73 CL350 myself. It's a fun bike. Pic below. I just got a set of Torazzi Hi-Rise adjustable clip-ons for it but have yet to install them since mine is in the shop getting a seal replaced. I don't know what your budget for bars is but the Torazzi's ran me $139 shipped to my door from www.fastfromthepast.com. The CL uses 33mm clip-ons so you should be able to find some options.

Keep us posted on your changes.

- Woody

scram3.jpg

sexyzombiemath said:
...and here is the pic of the bike......

-jd

Sexy Period 70's cool...I'd not change a thing, then add up all you want to do, and debut it to your friends who have been picking on you all year!

Seriously, I like it as it is...just watch the plugs to get an idea if it's running right, and plan mods rather than tearing into it...I think it has a cool retro look....

woody1981 said:
Josh,

Welcome to the site... I just got a '73 CL350 myself. It's a fun bike. Pic below. I just got a set of Torazzi Hi-Rise adjustable clip-ons for it but have yet to install them since mine is in the shop getting a seal replaced. I don't know what your budget for bars is but the Torazzi's ran me $139 shipped to my door from www.fastfromthepast.com. The CL uses 33mm clip-ons so you should be able to find some options.

Keep us posted on your changes.

- Woody

scram3.jpg
Very nice looking bike

Before you replace the forks, have a look under the fork gators. If you have the external spring forks (which are somewhat rare to my understanding), you should keep what you have. If you remove the gators, the exposed springs look really cool. Have a look at my bike for pics; the website address is in my profile.

If you still don't want them--AND they are the external spring type--let me know because I'm interested in taking them off your hands. I have a set of internal spring forks from a CB360 which I'm 99% sure will work for your needs. They are in great shape and I can change the fork oil too, so they will be good to go. The one consideration is that I would need your forks immediately because I need to wrap this project up.

--Thanks, Chris

I thought I recognized that bike, and then noticed you are in Raleigh. I'm in durham, and I saw the bike on craigslist a few times.

I'm not big on the retro look, but I like it on this bike. It's got a lot of character to it. I'm specifically digging the rear cowl.

so what how big is that round bar youre making the skeleton out of? how do you plan on covering it. i actually like this idea for attaching to a stock seat pan for keeping a bike reversible. or atleast building over the top of the seat pan and just connecting it at the stock hinge. so many ideas floating around this place.

dcmspikes said:
so what how big is that round bar youre making the skeleton out of? how do you plan on covering it. i actually like this idea for attaching to a stock seat pan for keeping a bike reversible. or atleast building over the top of the seat pan and just connecting it at the stock hinge. so many ideas floating around this place.

the steel is 1/4" cold rolled. i am going to stretch fabric and skin it in fiberglass.

-josh.

Back
Top Bottom