Cheaper by the pound ....

zixxerboy

Been Around the Block
I think this purchase could result in a big ass project. There was also another frame and whack of boxes full of parts. Wouldn't all fit in one load!

Funny thing is I was on my way to buy another bike that day (I did) and ran across this on the way. Ended up buying about 4-5 bikes that day.

Whats a good deal on a pick-up truck load of old CB750s?

I see two engines, three rolling chassis, 2 tanks and the unseen frame/box of parts. A few hundred wouldn't be out of line for the lot. The one on the left looks like it has an interesting aftermarket points cover on it and the valve cover looks chromed. 4 into 1 header too I'd presume - that engine might be kind of interesting.

Theone on the right looks pretty clean judging by the back wheel.

Looks like a nice haul!

It may be cheaper by the pound, but 750 Hondas are SOOO heavy that you probably paid alot. :D

No, Just kidding.
Sweet haul!!!
Your garage is probably gonna look like mine! CB750 motors, parts, frames, complete bikes all over!!!

Personally, I wouldn't have paid more than $20 for the privilege of cleaning out his garage.

zixxerboy said:
What's the matter DrJ. Not SOHC 750 fan?

No, it's not that. There's just a lot of stuff to sort through and much of it will probably be trashed by the time you finish sorting things. But if you have the space and time to deal with it then who am I to say? From past experience I'd rather pay $2000 for a really good runner than $500 for 3 fixer uppers. To put things in perspective, if the seller really needed to get rid of those bikes (like if he was selling his house) in a hurry and you didn't happen to come along, he may have had to pay a scrap dealer to haul his bikes away.

True Dr... But on the flip side of the coin, even if he werent to do a single thing other than part them out, i bet he doubles what he paid for em, at the premium parts are going for now. Especially on CBs.

I would like to better understand your statement "premium parts are going for now",,Honda's are the cheapest bone,barn yard bikes to buy,and the new aftermarket parts are probably cheaper to buy today,than they were when new(70's vs 08 economy) and with evil bay and the other auctions,,,bike wreckers are having a hard time doing business...I couldn't buy a used crank 15 yrs ago from a wrecker for less have $150.00...I can purchase and ship to Canada for about $55.00,,I came across 2 cb 350's supposedly rebuilt,only to find a lump of bikes sitting in a shed,he was asking $200, he got $75.00.....DR.J is right, most of it is junk,, break it all down and start the bid at $9.99,,,,,or,sort the alloy from the ferrous(iron)..watch the market! and cash in!,,by the pound!!

Wellp, i paid 250 bucks for a 80 GS, parts or rebuild. I decided to take what i wanted and part the rest. Ive doubled my money and still have parts left to sell. Thats what im talking about.

Paid 300$ for the works. Considering I once paid 200$ for a siezed motor just to get the tranny gears I figured it's not too bad. Also the package came with 4 sets of carbs. I've seen a bank of carbs go for 75-100$ I figured that alone would almost make it worth while.

That said DrJ's argument holds some water. Theres lots of specific items (rear fenders or gages for example) where I ended up with a lot of them but none in really great shape.

buzz286 said:
sort the alloy from the ferrous(iron)..watch the market! and cash in!,,by the pound!!

There is BIG money in scrap copper, aluminum and even just plain iron. A good buddy of mine bought a trailer which paid for itself in a few months, then bought an engagement ring and paid for most of a wedding all with scrap money. Can make 3 - 5 times as much if you watch the market prices and know when a ship is coming into Hamilton bound for China.

Back
Top Bottom