71 Indignant CB175 - Complete (w/ pics)!!!

Re: 71 Indignant CB175 - Engine and Wheels Finished! Seat-Work Started!

Emgo is beautiful quality, got a set of headlight ears and bars.

Stock bars are usualy monkey-buisness high so dropping down to drag bars will require some rearsets else you are gonna cramp up in your thighs and lower back. Clubmans or suberbike bars, I would get a rearset.

Thanks for the review! Are the Emgo superbike bars a gloss/satin/flat black?

I am eyeing the rearsets that Viet makes on here.

Progress updated: Money freeze. :( Gotta get some debt paid off, so I have been doing everything I can do without spending money and I'm about out of things to do.

I have been doing some detailing the past week or so. I sanded down the fins on the head and did not like how they turned out at all. No uniformity, and my fins aren't very even. So I bought some .08mm nail tape and taped the sanded fins, then put another coat of black on the head.
img_0959.jpg

img_0960.jpg

I also dug out the rear fender again and did some more work on it. Since the direction of the build has changed I chopped some more off the end so that it stops just before the rear frame hoop. No pictures of it on since I'm still in the middle of seat making.
img_0962.jpg

img_0974.jpg

While assembling the wheels, I probably didn't wait long enough for the spokes to cure, nor did I likely put enough coats of black on them, so I took the wheels apart. I wet sanded down all the spokes again, cleaned them thoroughly, and put 2-3 more coats on them. It's a good thing I did, because just the sanding peeled off quite a bit of paint that would have flaked off eventually. This time I'll wait a week or two before assembling the wheels.
img_0972.jpg

img_0975.jpg

And finally a little peak at some more detailing that I have been doing. Painted in some white to the control inlays.
img_0977.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Looking great! Keep the updates comin'!

I always love the look of flat black. I hate when you put a ton of work into sanding/polishing something only to see the paint peel a week later.

Thanks for the comments guys. ;D

Captmilk76 said:
I always love the look of flat black. I hate when you put a ton of work into sanding/polishing something only to see the paint peel a week later.
You've definitely got to be thorough with your cleaning a prep to ensure paint adhesion. And even then there are no guarantees with rattle can. It's unfortunate.

Should I drill vents in my brakes? I have heard this is the thing to do to alleviate brake fade. To be honest, I've never experienced brake fade, though I know what it is.

My issue is that the wheels are already powdercoated, and I don't have a drill press and I don't want to mess anything up.

Opinions?

Here are some photos of how the fins turned out as well as some more detail on the stator cover.

img_0141.jpg

img_0142.jpg

Motor looks gorgeous. You're giving me a ton of ideas for my build! Also, I'm really excited, found out my local Honda dealer can get me pretty much all the parts I needed as NOS parts for a really fair price. $28 for a brand new petcock, vs $24 for a used one on Ebay. Can't argue with that!

Thanks Booligan! Glad I could inspire.

That's great about your local Honda shop. Before I moved, my local shop was able to get me most everything, just be wary on the fork seals, those must be OEM. I still have yet to get my petcock, though its for a 450 tank, and was looking at Ebay for about $30. I'll make sure to check my dealer and see what their price is.

Does anyone know what type of fiberglass Herm is using here and where I can get it?

http://youtu.be/klcwT2IMznU

Good luck, it should make for a fun learning experience at least. I'm going the cheater route, getting a premade seat from Roccity. I don't trust my fiberglass skills at all.

Booligan said:
Good luck, it should make for a fun learning experience at least. I'm going the cheater route, getting a premade seat from Roccity. I don't trust my fiberglass skills at all.

You never know until you try. In my case, there is no manufacturer out there that has a seat that can fit this bike the way I want it to. So I really only have one option. ;)

Re: 71 Indignant CB175 - Almost A Roller!

Well its been a busy weekend. Lots of pictures in this update!

I got my "dampeners", or sprocket bushings, in and quickly realized that I had to do more work on the hub to get the new ones in. When I drilled out the old ones, I never got the outside metal sleeve out. So I had to do that and it was a PITA! I tried the dremel, the drill, and finally figured out a way to chisel a groove in the metal and pull them out with pliers.
img_0979.jpg

img_0980.jpg

img_0981.jpg

img_0982.jpg

I also did some final finishing touches on the seat mold in preparation for the fiberglass.
img_0985.jpg

img_0986.jpg

img_0987.jpg

img_0989.jpg

Saturday afternoon I started the first layer of fiberglass. I cut out a rough shape out of CSM and proceeded to mix the resin. Unfortunately, I was not aware that acetone eats plastic. So when I tried to dilute my mixture to give me more working time, the acetone ate through my Solo cup and made a mess. So the first layer didn't get an accurate mixture on it, and after a hour and it hadn't hardened up, I had to mix some hardener and acetone and paint it on. That worked for the most part.
img_0990.jpg

I also found a nice guy named Dan to stop by and help me true up the wheels that I had reassembled.
img_0991.jpg

img_0992.jpg

On Sunday, Dan came back over and we finished the wheels, and I put another layer of fiberglass on the seat.
img_0993.jpg

img_1001.jpg

After the seat cured, I cut it out and did a partial assembly on the bike to see how it all looks. The seat will sit a bit lower and the tank needs raised up and adjusted, because its not sitting right in the mounts, but otherwise its just what I had imagined. Enjoy!
img_0996.jpg

img_0997.jpg

img_0998.jpg

img_0999.jpg

img_1000.jpg

Thanks for looking!

As always, looking killer!

So I've looked through all the posts on baffles for the CL pipes, but haven't been able to come up with a solid solution. I am looking for silent enough to pass CA inspection. That's my only criteria. Any input?

Here is a $50 mod thread solution: http://flatblackrat.blogspot.com/2010/02/project-bike-1972-honda-cl175-circa.html

From what' I've read on here, the homemade copper baffles are a good fix for not too much money. In my CL350, I run a set of the 4" universal baffles wrapped in thin fiberglass muffler packing. It's definitely still loud but I find it tolerable for my average cross-town trip.

Back
Top Bottom