Projekt 75' 500T

Ron Biz

Finally got a chance to pick up my project, thought I'd share some pics. Its definetly going to be a lot of work. Kinda not sure where to begin, any ideas? Worth mocking it up and trying to kick the motor or should I just split the case's and go for a full on re-build? Gotta love the paint job, as well as the sissy bar, WOAH!

HPIM1682.jpg

HPIM1684.jpg

HPIM1692.jpg

HPIM1683.jpg

HPIM1690.jpg

HPIM1691.jpg

HPIM1693.jpg

HPIM1685.jpg

The "peyote" paintjob
HPIM1686.jpg

HPIM1687.jpg

HPIM1688.jpg

Sooooo any suggestions? Any help would be appriciated. ha ha

That is some freaky tank. It's a stock CB500T tank with implants! Looks like they did a number on the sidecovers too - WTF are those inserts from the sidecovers? Some sort of mesh?

You should be able to kick the engine over to check compression before putting it in the frame. Would be worthwhile making up an engine mount to help you work on it.

Are the forks stock length? Judging by the style of everything, looks like they may have put longer forks on it. Any pics of it in one piece?

ohh yeah Useful Idiots bike is SICK!!!!  The inserts on the side covers is like a rubber plastic lace?  No idea what the owner who did all that had in mind, hence my adoption of the "Peyote" paint scheme name.  Don't know about the fork legs, hope they're not goofy.  Can't find my metric tape at the moment but they are 28" from axel center to top of the fork tube itself.

edit: its been in pieces for a WHILE. No pics of it together.

Decided to see if it had any oil in the crankcase, nope its bone dry. You guys think its worth spliting case's and takin the motor apart right off the bat? At least I could see if its siezed or whatever that way. Don't know if I'll be able to get it back together but there's plenty of time for that.

I wouldn't. Honda's can run just about bone dry.

Man I'd hang that tank on my wall and get another stocker to run on the bike!

If you've got the time and inclination, split the cases. I kind of wish I did that to my 650. The project has taken a year so far, and the engine has sat ready for most of that time. I had all the time in the world to split the cases, clean them up, paint them properly etc.

Will get another 650 engine and do that once this one is up and running.

I think I'm going to have some issues ha ha Got it in the frame to see if I could turn it over. Kick starter rotates a 1/4 circle, making it parrellel with the swing arm and just stops. Can't get it to budge past that point. Any ideas? Looks like i'm just gonna dive in and start dis-assembling. Obviously I'm gonna have to sandblast the frame/swingarm, might as well do all the motor/transmisson casings as well I geuss. Getting it back together and running will be an issue for sure. All in good fun.

yep. my 500 did the same thing when I bought it.

turned out a piece of bolt from the starter clutch had wedged in between the stator and rotor. Once I cleared it, the motor spun over freely.

Ron Biz said:
I think I'm going to have some issues ha ha Got it in the frame to see if I could turn it over. Kick starter rotates a 1/4 circle, making it parrellel with the swing arm and just stops. Can't get it to budge past that point. Any ideas? Looks like i'm just gonna dive in and start dis-assembling. Obviously I'm gonna have to sandblast the frame/swingarm, might as well do all the motor/transmisson casings as well I geuss. Getting it back together and running will be an issue for sure. All in good fun.
Likely have a stuck ring or two. Spliting it sounds like a decent idea, given the fact you arent sure of what exactly you're dealing with as far as issues inside. As long as there is no serious wear to your transmision, its likely a top end rebuild that will do the trick, and give you alot of piece of mind at the same time. Pretty simple to do also, comparitively speaking. I would also suggest that when you get to blasting your motor, that you use super fine sand, or walnut shell material, as this will not pit your aluminum like the heavier stuff will. Just a suggestion.

Much appriciate the suggestion on fine grit/walnut shell blasting media! Wouldn't have thought about it and ended up polishing/sanding all the pits out of the aluminum. I'm gonna poke around see what I can remove without getting too far over my head for the moment.

Most definitely do not 'sand' blast your engine cases. Glass works well too. Aside from pitting the aluminum, it will ruin the mating surfaces of the engine, making it pretty much a paperweight.

Hey, its Euro Skank from Vortex. I see you have the Honda heads on the case already. That was fast.

These guys are the best resource around, use them, and use them good.

Anyone have ideas how to get this motor apart? Problem being I can't turn the motor over, therefor I can't jog the timing chain to veiw the masterlink through the valve cover. Without breaking that chain everything is held together. Is that chain somethin I can find a replacement for if I'm forced to dremel it off?

Ron Biz said:
Anyone have ideas how to get this motor apart? Problem being I can't turn the motor over, therefor I can't jog the timing chain to veiw the masterlink through the valve cover. Without breaking that chain everything is held together. Is that chain somethin I can find a replacement for if I'm forced to dremel it off?
I have read of guys pouring diesel in the plug holes and letting it sit for a while, to free the pistons. You will be doing an oil change anyway ;)

Ron Biz said:

I may be wrong,but I think the cam chain is an "endless" design,with no master link. If this is the case,perhaps a bicycle type chain breaker may be the answer. You simply press any link apart with this tool.Hopefully others will impart their knowledge,as I am certainly no expert. Best of luck to you.

Dan

I love that tank! It's so period I'd have to leave it as is, damage and all. It's guaranteed to be a one of a kind ;D

I attached the clutch cable to the hand lever, when I squeeze the lever I can move the kick starter. Problem being when I'm working the kick starter and holding the clutch the valvetrain is standing still. What am i doing wrong or what i'm I possibly lookin at here?

danno said:
I may be wrong,but I think the cam chain is an "endless" design,with no master link. If this is the case,perhaps a bicycle type chain breaker may be the answer. You simply press any link apart with this tool.Hopefully others will impart their knowledge,as I am certainly no expert. Best of luck to you.

Dan

That was my initial thought, being a bicycle mechanic I tried my chain tool. It won't work in its stock form, I'd have to canibalize one, seems cheeper then buying a new chain if I can aviod it, $80 from what I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom