The Magikphun CB350 Project

magikphun

Howdy Y'all.

Finally got back to MI for a couple weeks and will start working on my project, a stripped down rattlecan primered cb350 (when I am done with it).

Here are the official before photos- minus the luggage rack that was already on the bike. As I am on the road a bit, I only get pockets of time here and there to work on it while in town. Yes, the bike came with those handlebars and a 2 into 1 exaust which I think my be salvageable after a glass bead blast and some TLC...

KeithsBike1Web.jpg

Here is of the other side with the rear fender off - more about the rear fender and the suspension bolt that snapped in 1-800 HELP section!

KeithsBikeOtherSide.jpg

I purchased the bike for $50 I think, and I was able to get it running just fine in 2 days. Just a very small oil leak when the bike is turned off for a few minutes. It seams after th bike is cool or sitting it doesn't leak @ all... Not sure how aggresively I should address the issue.

Magikphun

I forgot to mention -

Future things to be done/changed/etc... on the bike...

1) A cafe "hump" seat I will be making out of another CB tank, different airfilters (probably cone - I am not a fan of those side panels)

2)I would like to put a fatter tire on the bike (how big/what kind of tire can I put on the stock wheel?)

3) build a batery box that looks like turned aluminum (probably a laminate of some sort) so the ugly battery isn't just hanging out there by the air filters.

Since time and budget on this first build is an issue, I am probably not goign to be able to do a "frame of" resto or build, at least not this year. I'ld like to get it cool enough to put around town in the summer and have some fun. If I like it enough I'll probably strip the whole thing down next winter and powder coat, and go all out.

Suggestions always welcome.

magikphun

Looks like a very promising project!!..

I think you got it all!!..

Bars, seat, exhaust, rattle can black paint!!..

Why not add, front-fender number plate and lower the suspension?

The Magikphun Project is Cruising Along...

With a little luck she will be on the road Monday...

Here is a couple process shots.

I am still trying to figure out just how to work in a vintage ford tail light and the license plate (I 'm not sure I am a fan of those combos that hang off to one side... Any thoughts?) and the seat I will be making hopefully this weekend out of a tank...

I decided to just rattle can primer for the classic suede look... I made the mistake of using paint stripper to get that hideous purple/white job off the tank... then realized in the stripping process there was a bunch of bondo to smooth out where the honda emblems had been. The stripper screwed the bondo, so I got a hands-on lesson in how to use the stuff. It came out OK but I would do even a ton more sanding the next time to get it perfect.

I also REALLY want to do the wheels in red but I still haven't convinced msyelf of the best(ie cheapest without overspraying the crap out of everything with the limited tools I have in MI @ my disposal) technique to do this. So for now I steel wooled the crap out of te tons of rust that was on everything chrome.

Also - the 2 into 1 has been saved... and shot with high-temp black paint...

webprocess.jpg

sideprocess.jpg

tank1.jpg

fender1.jpg

Well -

Success...

The Magikphun Project Phase I is now complete. Yup, it's still rough, and there is a long way to go. But for now she is ridable and fun. I covered the seat, and made some makeshift brackets for th license plate and the tail lamp. I don't like the position of the tail lamp or turn signals after I got them on, but it will suffice for now. I also will be making a more refined license bracket. I canabalized some steel deck brackets to get what I needed. They are OK... but I want to make better heavier pieces, and all I had to work with here was a pair of tin snips and a dremel.

Here are a couple shots after the maiden voyage to the gas station...

thebike1.jpg

thebike3.jpg

thebike2.jpg

Starting to look pretty sweet. As I said in your "seat" thread, your plans are very similar to what I have planned for my CL350. Yours gives me hope that one day mine will be running and looking good.

Lovin' the flat black!

Back
Top Bottom