CX500 minor bob job - whooooot issues solved goes like a bat out of hell, for an old bike at least

Re: CX500 minor bob job - Road her to work, time to address issues

Thanks Kamn, I bet it is the springs. I know as the bike got ridden the clutch started out stuck at first but after around 100 miles everything has been oiled well and the clutch has loosened up and now is slipping. I will pull the cover this week or weekend and just order a set of springs and swap em out. I can also paint the covers to match the valve covers while I am at it.

Picked up the jets I ordered, then ordered the springs, 14 bucks for the EBC and will be here Friday, good deal. So after I fix the civic mirror removed last night by and asshole deer I can get the jets in and springs changed and test her out. The jets I got have a slightly taller/thicker tops, will that mess with the carb? they say they are for Keihin carbs, look exactly the same but are about 1mm thicker on the heads. Pio

Attachments

• 2013-10-02_13-40-14_601.jpg
    2013-10-02_13-40-14_601.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 333
  • 2013-10-02_13-40-28_773.jpg
    2013-10-02_13-40-28_773.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 324

Are those Keihin left and Mikuni right by any chance?

both are for the kehin looks like left ones are genuine

the right ones ?????? i dunno but i have found them in carbs

Well they are both Keihin. left is factory oem right is aftermarket. I will try them but I discovered the reason for my clutch slip. I ordered new springs today, and so I got some time and pulled the clutch cover, low and behold, new springs, but the bolts were backed out 5-6 turns each so someone put springs in and didn't torque the damn bolts. so now I am heading out to get some oil cause I am out, I will pull carbs and re-jet, I torqued bolts to spec and will fill her back up with oil and test ride if I can and see what she can do. I will still likely put the new springs in as they are supposed to be an upgrade but I found the clutch slip reason for sure. Good to know.

glad to hear you found out why it was slipping without having them crunched up in the cover and around the clutch pack

CX500 minor bob job - Road her to work, time to address issues

"Someone" huh? ::)

Re: Re: CX500 minor bob job - Road her to work, time to address issues

Rich Ard said:
"Someone" huh? ::)
Yep. Werent me as i didnt pull clutch cover until today. I am glad I did as the bolts were way loose. I got some new oil and got her buttoned back up but I didnt get carbs pulled and so I will do that later. My son wants some time and I wont say no to that.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

We r watching a kids flick on net flicks that starts with a motorcycle chase

What would we do without PO's, gotta wonder sometimes. Glad you found the issue and its an easy fix.

Thanks deacon. And yep i am too. I think I will still put the new springs in as I bought them but I will test it tomorrow with the properly torqued bolts

If you look down into the jet orifice, are both machined the same - as far as can be determined by eye?

Yep look the same minus the thickbess of the top

Called "Stormbreaker" a bit cheesy but it's a kid friendly action flick, Mickey Rourke is the bad guy.

Ok, so I just got the 120's in. Still couldnt get past 80 in 4th 8500 rpm. Clutch wasnt slipping I dont think. It pulls hard from 0-65 or 70 then it just wont go faster. It redlines in 1-3 and will get there in 4th but slower. I did a 4th gear wot run for about a mile and a half then cut the engine, plugs read slightly rich so cant go any larger on the mains. I will put the new springs in to remove the slip if any. So now I am a bit stuck on what to do.

get a multi meter and do this test

post the results

test your coils

check your spark plug cap resistors

check that the carbs are going to full throttle on the cables and the butterflys are both wide open

if you have a vacuum petcock (1981 and up) flip the spring in it and see if that helps

if ita all good then the carbs are messed up and need a good cleaning

Thanks CXman, I don't have CDI, Is there a similar test for the transitorized ignition in the 82? I'll check my manual. Carbs are super clean, but I can clean em again. I have to go back into the clutch cause there is an oil leak as I apparently buggered the gasket that came off nice and cleanly, so I will be making a new one and I will be putting the new springs in the clutch because I bought em and can't return them.

test your coils -

Will do that should be in the manual for specs.

check your spark plug cap resistors -

no resistors on plugs so I will make sure the wires/caps are good

check that the carbs are going to full throttle on the cables and the butterflys are both wide open -

did this one last night and no issues, they are also mechanically synced but not vaccum synced, should I get a vaccum guage?

if you have a vacuum petcock (1981 and up) flip the spring in it and see if that helps -

chucked that pos in the trash and I have a clear filter I can see good fuel flow

if ita all good then the carbs are messed up and need a good cleaning -

I can do this again I suppose and see if I missed anything. Which circuits would be the culprits. I would guess main jet, needle and slide and air jets.

the specs for the coils will be in the manual

Because yours is a TI ignition, did you have the rear cover off? If you did there is info here about the advance http://cxgl.wikispaces.com/Triple+Bypass

The caps have resistors built in.....look here http://cxgl.wikispaces.com/Servicing+the+Sparkplug+Caps

Thanks Kamn, I took the cover off the pulser/advance and it was clean as a whistle, no evidence of oil or coolant leaking etc. That info on the caps is gold. The bike sat un-running for about 3 years before I got it so corrosion could be bad in there, I will be tackeling this on the weekend for sure if I get the chance, and do the other checks CXman suggested. I'll post up results. The bike is so close. It is totally ridable and reliable, just not at 100% performance whise. That is the goal.

Back
Top Bottom