www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: CB360 project  (Read 20928 times)

Offline thrillseeker

CB360 project
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2013, 21:04:45 »
Thanks sonreir
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

Offline thrillseeker

Re: CB360 project
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2013, 12:28:13 »
After measuring for new cables to work with the clipons, I came up with 3.25" shorter than stock for the throttle cables and 8" shorter for the clutch. Does that sound right? It seems like they would all be around the same amount of change but I'm not sure so I want to check with you guys. The clutch measurement is the one that scares me. But I measured everything twice and moved the bars left and right to accommodate for movement. Thoughts?

Offline thrillseeker

« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2013, 14:16:32 »
I got new coils, wires, and caps on from mikesxs.com (dont leave out the first "s" or you'll get a very different site lol).

They dont mount right up so I got a piece of angle aluminum and used the stock mounting brackets as a template to fab up a little bracket to make them fit. The only issue was figuring out which wires to connect to the stock wiring because they're different colors. A few minutes of looking at the wiring diagram helped. I was able to set the timing yesterday so I guess that means I wired them up correctly. The points were sparking though so I'm assuming that means the condenser isn't working correctly. That's why I asked about the cb350 condenser. The one I have was one I replaced the old one with a month ago but it came in a box of spare parts with the bike so I'm just assuming its bad as well.

Once I get my cables done I should be able to put fluids in and start her up.

« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2013, 14:30:11 by thrillseeker »

Offline thrillseeker

CB360 project
« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2013, 23:09:24 »
Bike is running strong now with new points, condenser, coils, wires, caps, and plugs. Lesson learned: inspect points closely. They were not obviously corroded on the outside but pitted in the center.

Offline thrillseeker

CB360 project
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2013, 17:15:45 »
Working on the bike again since winter is here. Decided to rebuild the air filters since replacements cost $50 each from hondacb360.com and the cv carbs dont like pods. Was able to rebuild them for about $3 in parts. Here are some photos of the process i took.

Cut out the existing filter element:

Pull apart the filter body:

Scrape out the remaining gunk. A liberal heat gun is your best friend:

Get the leftover gunk out. I used a wire wheel on a bench grinder:

Use some silicone to put the plates, mesh, and boot back together:

Clamp and let dry overnight:

Cut some cotton padding in a strip to use as a filter element. I got this stuff from a local craft store. Think its used inside blankets or something. Also, no need to glue the ends down. The filter housing holds it down nice.

Thats it. All done. Now when i need to replace my filter i can just cut another strip of the cotton material i got and swap it out. Easy. Also, no need to glue the filter element down. the housing holds the ends down nice and snug once its on.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2014, 23:29:00 by thrillseeker »

Offline thrillseeker

« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2014, 23:19:47 »
I plan on getting a smaller 4 cell ballistic battery so I got a new regulator/rectifier combo unit (the kohler unit) from ebay to accommodate it. In order to install the reg/rect I had to figure out how to reconfigure my wiring to accommodate the single unit. Looking at all the wires going to each, it looked a little intimidating. It ended up being easier than I thought. Below is an updated version of the cb360 wiring diagram that shows how I have the bike wired up now. With the new single unit. I also spliced the yellow and white wires coming out of the alternator so the battery is always being charged while the bike is running instead of relying on the lights being on. The best part about all this is removing more wires and parts off the bike that are no longer needed. Please take a look at my diagram and let me know if there are any areas I don't have right. I'm definitely not an electrical engineer so everything I do comes from research online.

« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2014, 23:24:34 by thrillseeker »

Offline interceptor

« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2014, 06:03:52 »
Good job on the filters.  How did you conclude that the cotton fiber flows the same as the stock paper element?  Seems like the cotton would be less restrictive and you would/may have to rejet. 
Opinions are like farts... they stink and no one wants to hear it except yourself.

Offline thrillseeker

CB360 project
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:23:32 »
Thanks interceptor.

I used the old "put to mouth and blow through" method. Haha. The cotton does flow much better so I will most likely have to re-jet. I'm swapping exhaust silencers as we'll so I'll have to re-jet anyways, most likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mrlvlagic

• Cb360 Cafe build thread
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:04:14 »
looking good im close to the same place on my build
In the Garage:
2001 Suzuki TL1000R
2001 Suzuki Katana 600
1974 Honda Cb 360
1970 Harley Davidson Aeremecci M-65 Leggero (unrestored)

My Build: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=55601.0

Offline thrillseeker

« Reply #24 on: Mar 26, 2014, 23:21:58 »
I got a couple things done in the past few weeks...

I did some looking and it seems the green uni filter foam may flow similar to the stock air filters so I got some of that off ebay to replace the cotton I was using. Thanks for putting a bug in my ear interceptor.

I also found a set of mufflers I'm very happy with. They're made by Cone Engineering. Very light and sound GREAT! I just have to figure out how I'm going to incorporate a stop for the side and center stand since the new mufflers dont have one like the stock mufflers did. I'm open to ideas! After putting the mufflers on, she's definitely been running rich (obviously) so I got a set of main jets from hondacb360.com and bumped up to a 102.5. I'm hoping that will be good but at least its a starting point.

Offline thrillseeker

« Reply #25 on: Mar 26, 2014, 23:54:48 »
I went for a ride after the regulator/rectifier install and my battery died after about 20 minutes. after some digging I think I may have figured out why it wasnt charging. I had relied on the mounting bolt to ground the unit but its bolted to the battery box. the battery box is bolted to the frame via 3 rubber grommets so I dont think it was getting a proper ground. I ended up utilizing the ground wire that ran to the stock unit and connected that to the mounting bolt. so the new regulator/rectifier unit should be getting a proper ground now. I tested across terminals when the bike was running and it was around 12.5 at idle and higher as revs climbed so it should be working now. Just waiting for the weather to break so I can go for a ride and test out everything I've done recently.

Offline thrillseeker

CB360 project
« Reply #26 on: Aug 03, 2014, 21:44:28 »
Charging system is working great now. I ended up going with a GY6 combo regulator/rectifier that I was pointed to on eBay. I also decided it was a good idea to disconnect the battery when hooking up the regulator so it couldn't get fried as I connected each wire. I'm pretty happy with it now. The battery is staying at a consistent 12.4 volts after rides.

I also got sick of my master cylinder leaking so I decided to buy a replacement. I wanted to upgrade if I could so I did a bunch of research and decided on a 2007 CBR RR master cylinder from someone on eBay. I needed to get a mc with separate reservoir so it wouldnt interfere with my clipon brackets. I have to say that this was my best purchase for the bike yet! This mc is much stronger than the cb360 mc. It takes less effort to brake. In addition to the performance, the ability to bleed the brakes from the master cylinder makes brake bleeding a non issue anymore. To top it all off, the levers are adjustable. What a great purchase!!! I highly recommend a cbr mc for anyone else with a vintage cb!

« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2014, 22:41:40 by thrillseeker »

Offline thrillseeker

« Reply #27 on: Aug 03, 2014, 22:18:46 »
So over the past 6 months there has been a sound that sounds like a chain rubbing on metal. It seems to only happen when the bike is in neutral or when moving. And has been progressively worse and worse. I tried to adjust the cam chain tensioner but that didn't seem to do anything. Actually, it may even sound louder now. Any idea what this could be? Could it be that my chain guide is worn down? I just finally got the bike back together and running well so I'd hate to have to take the motor apart again.

update:
I inspected the bike a little closer and it definitely makes a fast ratcheting sound when idling in neutral or when I'm riding. I used a stethoscope to find where the sound is the loudest and its definitely loudest at the end of the kickstarter shaft. could my kickstart ratchet mechanism be getting worn out? There have been a couple times over the past couple years when I'd hear a loud snap when trying to kick start the bike. I worried that something broke but then the bike started right up on the next kick.
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2014, 21:28:12 by thrillseeker »

Offline thrillseeker

« Reply #28 on: Aug 06, 2014, 22:02:43 »
Here's a video of the sound. you can hear it pretty well.

Offline OJ

« Reply #29 on: Aug 07, 2014, 23:02:24 »
Does the ratcheting sound stop if you hold the kick starter to the top of it's travel? to me that sounds like the kick starter gear dragging and I suppose it could be something simple like the return spring not doing it's job or then something wrong with the kick starter gears. Spring should be an easier fix requiring you to remove the right crankcase, but gears themselves would require opening the case.

I'm not an expert, just learning about these beasts, so maybe someone with better knowledge has better tips.