www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: CB360 project  (Read 20630 times)

Offline Sonreir™

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
Re: CB360 project
« Reply #75 on: Sep 22, 2015, 13:06:54 »
For future reference, Kibblewhite makes oversized valves for the CB350 that fit just fine in a 360.
I went with +1mm over for my exhaust valves.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline thrillseeker

CB360 project
« Reply #76 on: Sep 22, 2015, 13:21:56 »
I'm actually still using the stock valves. he just matched the ports to the gasket size. Apparently he smoothed out some casting/machining imperfections in the intake ports as well for no extra charge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2015, 14:56:07 by thrillseeker »
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #77 on: Sep 22, 2015, 17:15:11 »
I use stock valves but would like to get 1mm OS intakes. (but every time I have some cash something more important comes along)
The exhausts are just about perfect size even though they look too small
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline thrillseeker

« Reply #78 on: Oct 01, 2015, 09:13:09 »
Finished my oil modifications last night.

1. Drilled out upper crank case oil passages
2. Opened up the oil filter exit passage with a dremel.
3. Previously drilled holes in the inner clutch basket

Offline thrillseeker

CB360 project
« Reply #79 on: Nov 12, 2015, 22:26:10 »
I've been a busy bee lately but have not been posting my progress. I guess I'm having too much fun

I decided to buy a welder so I can do my frame work. My first welder and first time mig welding. I have a lot of learning to do!

Fabricated a bunch of stuff
Seat mounting system
Electronics tray
Battery box
Rear seat hoop

I'm especially proud of how I decided to mount the seat. No bolts to deal with. I used a quick-latch http://www.quik-latch.com/black-anodized-mini-quik-latch.html so all I need to do is press a button to release the seat. And just have to snap the seat down to secure it.  I got all my metal tabs from A&A Manufacturing. They were super helpful and even made me custom tabs for no extra charge!

I ended up going with a BikeMaster tru gel battery. They don't have a lot of cranking amps but I don't have an electric start so I think it should be sufficient. Way cheaper than those ballistic batteries. And not so finicky.

The black circle in the center of the electronics tray is the button for the seat latch

Like I said, my welding leaves a lot to be desired. But it's getting better. I keep practicing on any scrap I can find. Practice makes perfect right?

« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2015, 22:59:32 by thrillseeker »

Offline thrillseeker

CB360 project
« Reply #80 on: Nov 12, 2015, 22:32:35 »
I got a surprise in the mail today so I had to do some test fitting. 13.25" hagon shocks from Dave Quinn Motorcycles. These should give me the clearance I need for the electronics tray.

In the second picture you can see how I decided to secure the battery.  Made a couple hooks, welded them on, and found a use for a rubber strap that's been sitting around. Trimmed it and put a hole in each end.

« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2015, 22:36:31 by thrillseeker »

Offline thrillseeker

« Reply #81 on: Nov 12, 2015, 22:41:48 »
I also finished sand blasting my engine cases for paint. Cleaned them all real good to get rid of any glass particles but I'm going to clean them a second time before I actually paint. I want to make sure nothing is hidden in any little passage. The last thing I need is some glass beads ruining my engine!

Offline Duchat

« Reply #82 on: Nov 15, 2015, 00:39:39 »
I'm especially proud of how I decided to mount the seat. No bolts to deal with. I used a quick-latch http://www.quik-latch.com/black-anodized-mini-quik-latch.html so all I need to do is press a button to release the seat. And just have to snap the seat down to secure it.  I got all my metal tabs from A&A Manufacturing. They were super helpful and even made me custom tabs for no extra charge!

I'm stealing this.

Offline thrillseeker

CB360 project
« Reply #83 on: Nov 15, 2015, 18:11:24 »
I'm stealing this.

Good! I spent countless hours researching different mechanisms. so I'll be stoked if others can benefit from it as well.

« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2015, 18:22:00 by thrillseeker »

Offline thrillseeker

« Reply #84 on: Nov 16, 2015, 23:08:59 »
Did some final cleaning today and masked off the engine for paint. Hopefully I'll be able to find some time to paint in the next couple days.

Offline thrillseeker

CB360 project
« Reply #85 on: Nov 22, 2015, 15:14:55 »
Painted my engine cases and valve cover today. I decided to go with vht satin black instead of aluminum and I'm really glad I did. The black really makes the brushed side covers and refinished cylinders and head stand out. I think I'm going to let the cases cure for a couple days and then give them another good cleaning to make sure absolutely no glass particles are left before starting the rebuild process

I also painted my rotor while I was at it

« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2015, 15:21:59 by thrillseeker »

Offline thrillseeker

« Reply #86 on: Dec 03, 2015, 00:43:24 »
Started assembling the motor this week. Got the Kickstarter functioning properly. If you remember, that was the issue that had me taking the motor apart in the first place.

Got the rest of the bottom end assembled and sealed up

I found that wire wheels make great work with corroded bolts

I started to assemble the top end but remembered that I hadn't ordered new circlips for the pistons. So I ordered them a couple days ago and they arrived today so I started on the top end. Got the Pistons on the rods and the cylinders installed

Annealed my copper head gasket and coated it with copper gasket spray, installed the gasket and head, tightened down the studs to spec, checked to make sure everything rotates properly, and nope! My Pistons are hitting the gasket. So I'm going to order a new gasket with slightly larger bore. The pic below shows how far the pistons extend above the cylinders. So getting that gasket right is going to be pretty important I guess.

Offline Duchat

« Reply #87 on: Dec 04, 2015, 00:37:08 »
I use a wire wheel on rusty bolts all the time but it also removes any protective coating. I'll usually coat the threads in copper coating to ensure it comes out the next time too.

Offline thrillseeker

« Reply #88 on: Dec 04, 2015, 08:43:23 »
What about using thread sealant, antisieze, or threadlocker on the case bolts?

Offline thrillseeker

CB360 project
« Reply #89 on: Dec 04, 2015, 08:51:34 »
I talked to Lani at copper gaskets about my problem and he suggested trying to just file the opening a little larger. A file didn't really do the job but the sanding wheel on my dremel made a good even larger opening. Now I need to get the copper coat off without scratching the surface of the gasket. I'm thinking about trying aircraft stripper. If that doesn't work, buy some permatex gasket remover. Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2015, 08:56:50 by thrillseeker »