Tim's XS project - 750cc rephased ported head titanium valve hot cam craziness

Re: My XS650 project - updated July 13 - Lucky Friday the 13th!

NPT - British. 1/2 inch 18NPT (if that makes sense).

Looks like Christmas in July :) Are these the carbs you intend to use ? Do they require a 1 into 2 cable ?

I can go with a 1 into 2 cable or two cables with the right throttle. I'll probably go 1 into 2 for a cleaner front end.

Ready for powder! Did some final grinding:

Removed chainguard and other extra crap from stock swingarm
Shaped tab for tank strap mount at front
Drilled holes where needed in the metal plating for tank strap etc. mounts
Removed bottom bearing race from triple tree
Some final sanding with the emery cloths

Frame, swingarms (Radian and stock), engine mounts, rear brake stays/rod, triple tree lower are ready for powdercoating. Will be calling around a bit tomorrow, but likely will be heading to see Maria in Mississauga.

Re: My XS650 project - updated July 16 - At the powdercoaters!

Dropped off the frame, two swingarms, two brake arms, triple tree lower, one brake rod, bunch of engine mounts and a kickstand at the powdercoaters this afternoon for blasting and finishing.

All is going to be high-gloss black except the lower triple tree which will be a light aluminum colour. The upper tree, which is aluminum will be polished. They won't match to be sure, but will look good.

Ordered bunch of parts from Mikesxs this morning, including bronze bushings, a new brake rod setup ($12 for the rod, spring, barrel and nut). The new spring, barrel and nut will go on the powdercoated rod and should look pretty spanky. Also included new bolt and spring for the sidestand, 1 into 2 throttle cable for the Mikuni VM36's, and some other bits I can't remember.

For blasting and coating the:

Frame
Radian Swingarm
Stock Swingarm
Lower triple tree
Engine mounts
Radian brake stay
Stock brake stay
Brake rod
Kickstand
Steering head dust cover (little cup that goes over steering head bearings)

...it's running me $275. Not exactly the $60 for the frame Ian got, but $50 of it is because of the silver triple tree and they're blasting/coating a lot of little bits. Think it's 15 small pieces, the 2 swingarms, the frame and the triple tree. Had a quote for $130 + $65 for the silver tree from a shop close to my work, but they don't do the blasting. I figure any shop is going to charge me a good $100 to blast everything properly, so the deal from Maria isn't bad.

My source of inspiration over the last few weeks.

TRITON.jpg

Re: My XS650 project - updated July 18 - Ordered my Manx seat

Ordered my seat from www.clubmanracing.com today. I was going to build my own, but frankly just don't have the time or interest in upholstering my own seat again.

Tin, your bike is going to be sweet. It is evident that a lot of time and effort is going into the bike. I'm impressed. I read your thread on sohc4 which sparked a whole debate about 'cutting' up bikes. I think you shut them up quickly. Congrats man. Can wait to see the finished product.

Nobody's more interested in seeing the finished product than me :D

Should be putting parts on in about 3 weeks from now. Losing 2 weeks to vacation :(

Re: My XS650 project - updated July 19 - Picking up the frame and bits on Friday :)

Called the powdercoaters and the work is done - picking up at 7AM Friday morning before I go to work. My bearings etc. are in at Snow City Cycle as well, so I can mount the Radian swingarm to see how it looks all in nice fresh black :)

If I had my wheels I'd put it into rolling chassis form this weekend, but can't be doing that just yet and I will be lowering the frame over the engine to mount, so best to have nothing mounted to the frame when doing that. Might install the steering head though.

Re: My XS650 project - updated July 19 - Picking up the frame and bits on Friday :)

This has been a fun build to follow.

--chris

Here are some crappy Treo-camera pics of the frame etc. Picked it up at 7AM today and am now at work :(

Picking up new bearings today from Snow City Cycle for the Radian swingarm :) Might toss it and hopefully the steering head on this weekend to see how it looks. Then just need to finish up the engine a bit and it can go in and then up on wheels.

img016.jpg

img109.jpg

img108.jpg

img107.jpg

img058.jpg

Re: My XS650 project - update July 20 - Pics of the powdercoating up! (lousy pics)

WOW... how much did they charge you for all that?
It looks amazing...I thought however you were going to leave the Radian swing arm the original aluminum colour.

Re: My XS650 project - update July 20 - Pics of the powdercoating up! (lousy pics)

No to the Radian - looks awesome in black. Would have needed painting anyhow.

I paid $275 for the lot, but that included a $50 splurge to have the lower triple tree done in an aluminum-like silver color. Upper alloy triple tree will be polished.

Cost included blasting and coating. Everything was nicely wrapped in paper. Included:

Frame
Radian swingarm
Stock swingarm
Radian brake stay
Stock brake stay
Brake rod (for rear drum brake)
Kickstand
8 (I think) engine mounting brackets
Dust cap thing for the top of the steering head
Lower triple tree

They masked/plugged all the necessary holes, threads etc. They even did up and inside the ends of the Radian swingarm, as they're just open box tubing on the ends. There are chain tensioners that go in there, but nothing I need exact clearance for.

Only area I might have to grind the finish out of are the two holes in the frame for the swingarm pivot bolt. They didn't mask these, which is just fine with me as the bolt might just fit anyhow.

Thing looks freakin' awesome.

That's a very good price for all that--especially considering the quality. Looking forward to watching the assembly.

--Chris

Here's a nice shot of the Radian swingarm. Frankly the finish is almost TOO shiny, but I like it. It's like a mirror. I'll have to look into maintaining the finish.

IMG_0067.jpg

So I pressed the new needle bearings into the swingarm, used my dremel and a little drum sander head to remove the powder from the pivot bolt holes in the frame (very very carefully mind you - insert into hole turned off, turn on, sand, turn off, remove from hole) and popped the swingarm on just to see how it looked. Left the dustcaps off the swingarm pivot - just temporary install and the dustcaps need to be shined up ;)

Quite nice - probably going to stick with the Radian arm on it, but we'll see how the stocker looks on it once the bronze bushings come and I can have a look.

Took some pics with the alloy tank on it, which after 8 months of handling, really needs a bit of a polish!

IMG_7475.jpg

IMG_7489.jpg

IMG_7488.jpg

IMG_7486.jpg

IMG_7484.jpg

IMG_7480.jpg

IMG_7477.jpg

IMG_7493.jpg

Re: My XS650 project - update July 20 - Much nicer pics of the powdercoating up!

I bet there are a number of guys with lustful eyes. Looks like you are well on your way to a beautiful bike, Doug

Re: My XS650 project - update July 20 - Much nicer pics of the powdercoating up!

woowww tintin nice job ...very good paint ;D

I like it! So that is the next step to getting her back together?

--Chris

Back
Top Bottom