"Unfinished" show... Winter 2013?

VonYinzer

Over 10,000 Posts
So, I've seen a few articles around the web describing bike shows for unfinished projects. Seems like a cool idea. One day, indoor shows that give everyone a reason to get out of the garage and stretch their legs.

So, I'm going to try and put something together. I'll need to find a location first, but that shouldn't be too big of an issue. Once that's nailed down it'll be time to find the display bikes. Ill be looking for exceptional or interesting builds. Real above the bar stuff. Remember, the point of this is to give the home builders a day where ideas and thoughts can be shared. An event where folks can see some stuff that may push them to grow as builders.

Anyhow, I thought I'd check with the folks here to see if there would be any interest. The show will be in or very near Pittsburgh PA. I'm going to try to contact some pro builders in the surrounding areas to see if maybe they would be interested in bringing something to display. Some real inspiration pieces mixed in with the home builders projects. If anyone has any info or suggestions along these lines, the help would be appreciated.

Also, if any locals have some suggestions for a venue that would be a huge help. I have a place or two in mind, but the more ideas the merrier.

Ok I suppose that's about it for now. Please feel free to chime in no matter where you're located. If you're relatively local and want to lend a hand or have some ideas than DEFINITLY chime in. Ha...

Thanks all.

I think it's the type of show that would attract the right crowd (builders) instead of bros with flat brims and big sunglasses looking for something to do on the weekend, but would in turn be a much smaller show because of it. Another issue would be people getting their stuff there. it seems to me it would have to be a very local event. I love seeing projects in the unfinished state though - it lets you use your imagination for how you'd personally finish it off which I really like (but significant others and females for the most part seem to lack the ability to see past rust). sexism aside, still a neat idea. Here's what I'd bring:
dscn0575jw.jpg

I dont know, wouldnt be hard to transport anything. A small pickup, van, trailer. Only the dedicated will make it regardless.

+1 on "the right croud"

That's what I want though. Small, intimate, dedicated. Not a huge deal where everyone is showing off and trying to act like they're the next Arlenn Ness or whatever.

Maybe 20 bikes (projects) max. Small, comfortable venue. Some local artists displaying work. Good music, not just another cookie cutter rockabilly/punk/garage band like always.

I have a few friends in the beer industry who could provide the libations. Have some simple food.

Honestly, I'm shooting for more of an event to bring some cool folks together to talk and learn and make some friends. Not to get pushed around by crowds of American Chopper loving folks with their snot nosed kids in tow as they run to get (insert latest tv sensation here) signiture on a $75 sweatshirt.

If I can find the right venue (I have a couple in mind) it could be a really cool, low key, no bullshit event. More art show than bike show in scope and size.

Anyhow, I'm hoping to get some things moving forward asap. Ill keep yinz posted.

Thanks for the feedback.

And WeberKid...

That bike is exactly the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

Years ago back home, I happened to stop in to what seemed like an impromtue car show, there was a band, stage and cars just started showing up. It was an excelent show with around 30? cars show up in all states.

Of all the shows I've been to, I remeber that one best.

Talk to your local air-cooled VW, mini truck and rat rod guys. They seem to sniff out the best venues. There are always micro shows popping up around my area, generally a decent mix in work in progress and finished (from rat to museum grade restos).

Sounds like a great idea Von. Good luck pulling it off, it's nice to have something new/different to break up the off season.

Seems like a great way to meet some like-minded people and see/gather ideas without being holed up behind a computer all day. Kudos for the idea!

Scruffy said:
Talk to your local air-cooled VW, mini truck and rat rod guys. They seem to sniff out the best venues. There are always micro shows popping up around my area, generally a decent mix in work in progress and finished (from rat to museum grade restos).

Sounds like a great idea Von. Good luck pulling it off, it's nice to have something new/different to break up the off season.

Thanks for the ideas!

78cb550 said:
Seems like a great way to meet some like-minded people and see/gather ideas without being holed up behind a computer all day. Kudos for the idea!

Wish I could take credit. There's a show in SanFran like this and NJ that I know of and I'm sure there are others. I'm just trying to bring some good stuff to the rust belt.

I actually started organizing a regular bike show a couple years back in the area. But, between the 100 bike nights, MvsR, amd some other shows there just wasn't any room for another.

When I read the title I thought it was going to be a show where people brought their unfinished bikes. People would get together to talk about their plans or talk to other people about what they thought about it or give pointers. Would likely see a bunch of 16 year olds though instead of polished upstanding gents

I would humbly suggest you look into booking Crobot to play the show: crobotband.com

They've just put their first album out and if you got them to play I would be twice as pissed that PA is such a haul

Back
Top Bottom