www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

OUR ADS ARE FROM SUPPORTERS OF THE COMMUNITY - CONSIDER TURNING YOUR AD-BLOCKER OFF FOR WWW.DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Staffy's CX500 Bobber - 15 June - Headlight mounted and new video.  (Read 6699 times)

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: Staffy's CX500 Bobber project
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 09:08:50 »
Nice stance, bars look perfect actually and with the struts psinted out it will not stand out too much, what are your plans for a front fender? I think one matching the shape of the rear may look cool, wrapping the wheel and nice and tight to the tire.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Staffy

• It's not yours 'til you cut it up.
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 09:32:16 »
I'm gonna use a standard fender with the fender cut off and bolt on a fibreglass fender.  It'll be as small as possible whilst still being street legal to avoid issues on the road.  Likewise the rear will be within local laws. I've got a pretty neat idea of what I'd like to do with the rear and am looking forward to trying my hand to make what's in my head a reality.

The rear strut is currently a piece of 1" box steel with two holes drilled.  I'll make up something a little more permanent soon.

Offline Staffy

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 21:41:38 »
I started making the plugs for the guard molds today.  Or maybe I'll just be lazy an glass straight over the plug then tidy it up with filler.  Either way I went and bought a whole bunch of mdf and cut out 16 semicircles of 68 cms diameter.  I'll need a further 9 or 10 to do the front guard. 
These will be glued and screwed to form a laminated mold, then shaped and finally I'll glass over the top of that. 
I'm thinking there could be as much as 20 hours of work in the two of these when they're all said and done.  It really depends whether I bother making a mold or if I decide to use the first layup as the finished product.

Offline Staffy

Re: Staffy's CX500 Bobber - 10 June New videos up.
« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 2013, 09:14:01 »

Offline Staffy

Re: Staffy's CX500 Bobber - 10 June New videos up.
« Reply #14 on: Jun 12, 2013, 22:31:24 »
Bought a new headlight today from MR Motorcycles (a bike shop down the road).  It's a neat little bates style bottom mount.  If I get a chance this weekend I'll make up a bracket to mount it on.  I also had a look at a front guard off another bike that could be a good option for my rear guard.  He's happy to credit me back if it doesn't work on another part so no harm done I'll just grab a speedo off him if that's the case.

Offline Staffy

I got a chance to make up a mount for the new headlight today:

I also got a front fender off a VN900 classic to mount on the rear.  Initially I liked it but I've now had a change of heart.  Have also dropped the rear another 30mm.

Below is with a simpler rear fender.  Also dropped the muffler for now.  I'm thinking about dropping them altogether and putting baffles in the pipes.  I'll need to check out the legalities of that first as I'm not keen to get defected on the first corner:

Offline Staffy