LED turn signals and multi function turn signal relay?

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
I have an '87 Radian. It has the multi-function turn signal relay, so I can't just go down to Pep Boys and but an electronic flasher unit.

The bike is still in progress and isn't running yet, but I can put power to the electrical system. The signals light but don't flash. I can here the relay buzzing.

* Is there a way to run LED when you have a multi-function flasher relay?
* I read where another Radian owner used LED turns on the rear and it worked with the stock unit. Would the relay behave differently if the bike was actually running?

My Hayabusa uses a multi-function relay. But I was able to isolate the signal wires from the relay and use a 2-wire digital relay for the signals.

The relay may behave differently if the battery is low. But a fully charged battery will sufficiently power the relay whether the bike is running or not.

I think this would do it, no?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221022282633?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

It would, but load resistors put off heat, like a light bulb, and can melt any plastics/wire harness/etc. they touch. They also defeat the purpose of installing LED's by using the same load on the system as the bulbs you're removing.

I don't like them, and won't use them on my vehicles. Just my .02.

Well, I understand the whole "lower load" thing with LED's. I picked these turn signals for the style. If I could find the same in non-LED, that would be great.

The rear signals would be no problem. There's plenty of room back there to hide/mount the resistors where they'd be cool and not melt anything.

I can understand them getting hot with, say, a tail light or headlight that's constantly on. What about an intermittent turn signal? Still too hot to put in the headlight bucket with other wires?

Sorry, couldn't tell ya. I've always found it easier to simply use a digital flasher relay.

Back
Top Bottom