turbocharged cb550 bobber

https://youtu.be/CaVHN-DM6GQ this project has been on the back burner a while, but here it is now. needs a lot of tuning, but needs a lot more done before I can start doing that. Only thing I have adjusted on the snowmobile carb is the idle screw.

HAHA YESS Grand re entrance with a smoky burnout video.

I like your style =)

Nice. I can hear your Mrs. calling, "Honey are you burning something out there? What's that smell?"

Got a little work done on the rear brake linkage tonight. I decided to run a solid push link all the way from the peg to the rear. Both this linkage and the shifter linkage are snowmobile tie rods that I lengthened/shortened.

Attachments

• a20151118_203710.jpg
    a20151118_203710.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 414
been fairly productive on this lately. finished the rear brake stay, battery mount, center post and gusset in the frame, tank mount, kick starter, throttle cable, tank petcock, and several other things. Beginning to work on jetting. the 40mm flatslide is rich at idle, and will not stall out with the fuel screw turned all the way in. Pilot circuit seems to need leaned out. current pilot jet is a 17.5, so I have ordered a 15 and a 12.5. if I get the idle circuit dialed in then ill begin work on the needle/needle valve/ main jet.

still looking for ideas on the following:
air filter. just run a big k&n?
speedo
tach
headlight
tires. liking the look of a firestone deluxe champion rear
tail light. 32 ford style?

Attachments

• 20160110_192738.jpg
    20160110_192738.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 431
This thing is mad as hell :eek: I love it ;D Great whistling burnout batman ;)

K&N will be perfect since you're using forced induction and won't need the Venturi force of a long intake tract. Likely you're gonna need something more sufficient than old Firestones as far as tires are concerned. Glad this is still alive, I wanna see this thing ripping

Watching this with great interest. I'm building a hopped up turbo TR1 hotrod myself, but didn't go the draw-through route because of the lack of carbon-sealed turbos, so I am really curious on how well this one will fare you...

Cheers,
Greg

coyote13 said:
K&N will be perfect since you're using forced induction and won't need the Venturi force of a long intake tract. Likely you're gonna need something more sufficient than old Firestones as far as tires are concerned. Glad this is still alive, I wanna see this thing ripping

I'm hearing you on the tire choice, I'll be doing some more hunting to find a better balance between looks and decent performance. K&N's website has a pretty cool search by dimension feature so im still trying to decide what exactly I want there too.

My smaller pilot jets arrived, and I tried them out today. took out the 17.5 and put in the 15 and then 12.5. 12.5 is still too rich at idle, I cannot make it stall out with the fuel screw turned in. JETSRUS only lists one pilot jet smaller than a 12.5, and thats a 10. Really hoping the 10 gets me where I need to be. Would there be any other problem causing my pilot circuit to seem so rich?

worked on a couple other small things. I added a rubber hanger mount to the turbo to give it some support. This rubber mount is from a 2 stroke dirtbike exhaust pipe. So now this project has snowmobile, car, tractor, and dirtbike parts being put to use!

Attachments

• 20160117_142008.jpg
    20160117_142008.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 385
DohcBikes said:
If you cant make it stall with the fuel screw turned in you are probably idling on the main.

+1

If the pilot jets aren't having much/any effect, then they're not being used.

What RPM are you idling at?

probably idling between 1500 and 2000. Whats making this thing idle off the main and how can I fix it? Drop the needle lower?

mswans said:
probably idling between 1500 and 2000. Whats making this thing idle off the main and how can I fix it? Drop the needle lower?
Clean the carb

then go back to bigger pilots that can actually feed it enough fuel to idle off of

you'll know when you have the carb clean and the pilot size close when you can turn the idle down to 800rpm and it is smooth

1500 and 2000 is a big range. Lemme guess, the slightest idle adjustment makes huge swings in rpm

yep clean the carb and get some fatter pilots in there

will do. So is it possible even my 17.5 pilot was too small, and this was forcing it to idle off the main? Carb appears to be clean, but I'll admit I have not gone through it thoroughly. Any good guesses on sizes of pilots to order? they offer sizes from 10-140

single 17.5 jet running 4 cylinders yep i'd say she's a bit lean on the pilot sir. From what i see there's gonna have to be some major changes to your fueling system or you're gonna blow that thing up right away. Running lean on forced air is not a good thing

I'm all ears on suggestions here. Im understanding now that my pilot is so lean, I had to have the idle screw cranked up to the midrange to get it to "idle". It did sound fairly smooth, but just falls on its face and dies if i turn the idle screw any lower than 1500 or so. Plugs currently look quite rich, but I know this isn't the most accurate indicator of a rich/lean condition.

Back
Top Bottom