your choice for fabricator gloves?

Beeweldmut

Been Around the Block
I can screw up a $25 pair of work gloves in about a week. Anybody know of a glove that can hold up for longer than a month? I use them mostly for mig welding but dont want a big gauntlet glove. I dont mind paying $100 for a glove if the stitches dont pop.

I prefer Deer skin Ropers. not sure of the brand i get them in the interior of British Columbia, usually about $55 a pair. The Deer skin is more sensitive to touch so you feel more things through them but they are also more sinuous than pig, calf or other natural hides. i usually ride one season on the bike, then they go to the garage.

When I used to weld all day I had really good success with this type of canvas welding glove, though I can't find the brand I bought.. http://www.dhgate.com/product/wholesale-canvas-gloves-welding-work-gloves/141059925.html

I really like this style. But for $60 they only lasted a month, and that was just using for welding, not for any heavy duty work.,
3usu3a7a.jpg

I weld for a living. I use tillman tig gloves for mig/tig/ cutting& burning. but for stick i like white leather driving style work gloves.

I usually got a month out of them when I was working on big rigs and heavy equipment. Boss would send us to the welding shop, we'd buy a case every couple of months.

If you are mainly doing welding, what is your aversion to gauntlet gloves? I use Kevlar stitched gauntlet gloves from my local tool shop and they are under $20 a pair. Last pair lasted me at least a year and I use them for grinding as well as welding.

Mind you, I don't weld every day..... ::)

I am a business owner but I also do lots of my own construction and build motorcycles for fun. I would like to find one glove I can use for everything from picking up concrete to welding. It's a tall order.

I don't use gauntlets because welding is only a small portion of time during fabricating. Mostly it's precision marks, cutting, grinding, drilling. I don't like to change gloves or remove them.

That's basically what I do with the Ropers. Snug fit, some sensitivity to what you are doing, stretchy and sinuous to last, extremely comfortable.

JMO

If you don't care about looking fashionable or couture as they say now a days, these gloves are good, my father was a stick welder for many years and was always happy with theses:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/hobart-unlined-welding-gloves-1-pair

He would also use another pair with longer sleeves, same style and material.

Beeweldmut said:
I don't use gauntlets because welding is only a small portion of time during fabricating.

Totally different story to your first post.

I don't think a glove that does everything from operating a smelter to fine needle-work actually exists.

I guess ambitions got the best of me. I think a linerless tig glove will hold up and separate gloves for construction work. Of course they don't last long either

The deerskin and elkhide stay flexible after getting wet, instead of getting stiff and cracking like most other leathers. I use a dedicated gauntlet for welding, and an elkhide roper for everything else.

Back
Top Bottom