Suzuki GR650 Scrambler/Tracker - The Strangler!

D4N63R said:
im building my own A123 pack as well but I only need a 4cell

with microsquirt you can adjust every setting in the map there are also a ton of base maps to choose from to help you get it running initially.. Its a lot easier then most people think just takes a lot of hours reading hahaha

How come you only need 4?

Adjusting possibilities for all settings may also be a problem. Like dumbusers going Linux ;D

small motor, easy to turn. but you better hope it starts in the first 2-3 tries hahaha... i was bit unsure as well but ballistic recommends a 4 cell for my bike so that what im making :)

and you are right all those variables can get a person in trouble! once initial setup is done and everything is configured for your fuel/ign system though its pretty smooth sailing. not sure if micro squit has the same auto tune feature as mega squirt but if it does that handles all your cruising and part throttle for you. Then you just tune wide open on your own. getting the fuel map dialed in is actually pretty easy. All the power and work comes from the ignition side, thats when you want a dyno.

D4N63R said:
small motor, easy to turn. but you better hope it starts in the first 2-3 tries hahaha... i was bit unsure as well but ballistic recommends a 4 cell for my bike so that what im making :)

Well excactly, it must start at once in that case. But if youre running lights and live in colder climate (like me), id still go with more. What if you need to start several times in a short period of time, even if it starts at once?

i live in a cold climate as well.. I know all the sport bikes im surrounded by have a 6 cell so i would think the 4 is going to be fine. i have a regular low draw sealed beam headlight then led everything else so there isnt a lot of draw from the system

Battery:
I would like a 6 or 8 cell LiIon battery, just because I like piece of mind and I will have more current draw to run the electronics than the average custom bike. An 8 cell is still light years lighter than an AGM or lead acid, so that's all good.

Fuel Pump:
As far as a fuel pump goes, regular inline auto fuel injection pumps pull WAY too much current for a bike, and they flow too much volume as well. Then you still need a pressure regulator and a return feed from that, and a filter, which the Honda unit has all built in to one (relatively) compact package. So its a simple low current draw solution, that happens to be pretty cheap too. You can get new ones for $100, and much less for a used one on ebay (I paid $47 shipped!).

Tuning:
For starters, I'll just be controlling fuel, no spark, so it simplifies the initial tuning procedures. I'm still debating narrow or wideband O2, but I've seen cheap wideband controllers like this that might change my mind:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/APSX-D1-Digital-Wideband-WBO-Controller-Enclosure-/181273702156?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a34c12f0c
Tuning with the Microquirt is relatively simple with a laptop, but yes, lots of reading. You data log by going for a ride, then tweak, rinse, repeat. But the great thing is you can change parameters whenever you want, no dis-assembly required. And upgrades down the road like a GM LS1 style ignition is a relatively simple software tweak.

Rims & Tires:
I've got quite a bit of room for a tire in the front. I think I can fit a 4.60-17, but I will be measuring twice, ordering once (hopefully). I have some test tires on the rims to mock up. My original fender will be coming off for a custom solution, so all I have to clear are the fork tubes.

narrow bands are horrible, not to mention you need the wide band sensor for proper data logging anyway. I didnt think of all the extra garbage that would have to go along with the fuel pump. all of a sudden the quad pump makes way more sense.

If you are only tuning the fuel you'll have no trouble at all :)

as for which wide band to use. I'll go with AEM for as long as I ever need to use one. sub $200 and they come with a bosch sensor, are super easy to read and can actually data log on their own if need be. I realize they are a bit more then then the option you linked plus a sensor but they just dont break or fail. you buy one and use it forever haha

Yeah, I really want to go wideband. I know some guys that work for AEM down in CA. I'll have to see what kind of "friend" price I can get on one.

Sold the Beemer GS, so I have some project money now! Making some minor progress, mostly in parts accumulation. But did a test fit on the front rim/tire combo. I got a couple of KLR rear wheels with tire to check fit. 4.60-17 looks like it will fit just fine. I could probably go 5.10-17 and still have room, though on a 2.5" rim, might be pushing it a little.

Before:
IMG_20130916_185141_575.jpg

IMG_20130916_185608_119.jpg

Test Fit:
IMG_20140116_065926_366.jpg

IMG_20140116_065937_771.jpg

Plenty of clearance. Need to order some spokes now!
IMG_20140116_065909_904.jpg

Got some fork gaiters from Speedmotoco in Eugene, and I have a new tank, (maybe 2) on the way to test fit. Here's one:

GS750E+Tank.jpg

D4N63R said:
i live in a cold climate as well.. I know all the sport bikes im surrounded by have a 6 cell so i would think the 4 is going to be fine. i have a regular low draw sealed beam headlight then led everything else so there isnt a lot of draw from the system

Hey D4N63R, I am stoked to hear your experience with one of these DIY batteries. I want to build one for my GPz project, but I was concerned about the low temperatures in Vancouver, BC. When do you plan on making and trying this battery out?

Joe Suzuki said:
Got some fork gaiters from Speedmotoco in Eugene, and I have a new tank, (maybe 2) on the way to test fit. Here's one:

That tank is a real beauty. It's going to look awesome.

animalrobot said:
Hey D4N63R, I am stoked to hear your experience with one of these DIY batteries. I want to build one for my GPz project, but I was concerned about the low temperatures in Vancouver, BC. When do you plan on making and trying this battery out?

whenever my cells show up hahaha... you cant air mail them anymore so they are coming from hong kong on a boat.. going to be awhile.

ebay has bulk packs of them but hobbyking is the only place I could find that would just sell me 4

I'm curious too how those work on a moto charging system without a battery management system (BMS). Most lithium batteries need this to balance the cells. It might work initially, but if the cells get out of balance, essentially it will take the whole pack down.

Thanks animalrobot. I'm on the fence about the tank. I'm not sure what's going to look right. I was originally going to go with the stock tank, but its got some problems, including a bad Kreem job that I would have to deal with. We'll see what it looks like when it arrives in a couple of weeks...

I have a balance charger anyway, part of being an R/C nut. So can balance the pack once a week.

D4N63R said:
whenever my cells show up hahaha... you cant air mail them anymore so they are coming from hong kong on a boat.. going to be awhile.

ebay has bulk packs of them but hobbyking is the only place I could find that would just sell me 4

Check out DX.com if you like free shipping and don't mind waiting a decade for your items to arrive.

Been refining my ideas and I did some more noodling in Gimp, a free Photoshop-like program. This is a composite with my new tank, preferred color scheme, and some hand drawings, gone over digitally. Still uncertain about high vs. low exhaust...

Strangler+1-17-2014+Sketch.jpg

Did some tear down and mockup of my new to me tank. I think I like it...? I need to hack the rear subframe off to get a better clean view. Crappy cell phone images away!

IMG_20140127_200447_916.jpg

IMG_20140127_200613_934.jpg

IMG_20140127_200518_125.jpg

Been doing some Solidworks noodling too. This block of aluminum:

IMG_20140129_091611_166.jpg

will soon give way to this:

Throttle+Body+Adapter+1.JPG

Throttle+Body+Adapter+2.JPG

Throttle+Body+Adapter+3+Cutaway.JPG

Should have it machined by next week. If everything fits, I might anodize it black to cut down on the shiny stuff.

Ah, that's so cool. Being able to model your own parts is the dream! I need to move beyond Photoshop and into 3D :)

I have to say, I really like the tank, but it looks too long for the frame in the mockup images you showed. I'm sure you can compensate for that with the seat, somehow. But, as it stands, I would consider something a little shorter.

Back
Top Bottom