Shake the Box CL360/378 - The Hedgehog - Done

Re: Shake the Box CL360

hurco550 said:
Either the 378 mod OR the xr600 engine would be sweet. It would be nice if the guy with the XR would get off his bum and get some stuff done eh =)

Well, that guy will find me to be one of the post patient and understanding guys he's ever known. I always figure that things have to fall into place as they are meant to, in my experience when you try to rush things it often doesn't work out. Occasionally a "nudge" doesn't seem to damage the natural order of things, but "letting things happen" usually works well for me. Which reminds me, if you think of it some time ask me to tell you about the evolution of the '38 Indian 4 my late father-in-law restored... sometimes things can take years.

ridesolo said:
that guy will find me to be one of the post patient and understanding guys he's ever known.
Aww, that's a mighty damn nice thing to say of you to say of yourself.

I had been hoping to get more done on this and I may get the new seat mounted in the next couple of weeks, but from the first week of December on I'll be tied up with preparing to leave, and then leaving, Ohio for the winter. Gulf coast of Mississippi here we come! I was telling Hurco550 the other day that I wish I could just put a set of trailer wheels under the shop and drag it along. I'm already hauling a 30' travel trailer, so I guess that won't work. At least when I get back in March I'll be ready to tear back into things.

So, anyway, here's the new seat from raretromoto.com. I'm pretty happy with it and it's going to work well for me on this crazy machine. I was surprised at how many different color options they offered and the gray I got is really unique and will work out perfectly with the colors I have in mind for the bike. The stitching on the cover is very precise and looks good. The base is a stiff injection molded unit that I wondered about at first but now I believe it's a good thing; it's light, stiff enough, could easily be modified so it'll mount on just about any bike and because of being plastic you won't have to worry about it accidentally grounding out on any of your under-seat electronics package. It's made with what's intended to be a universal mounting system that, I think, offers lots of flexibility. For the little bit that my posterior has been parked on it, the padding seems to be very stiff, probably intended that way to help it keep its shape. Maybe w/ a little saddle time and some "butt heat" applied it might soften up some. If not maybe the RaretroMoto folks should consider some gel padding in there as well?

hurco550 said:
Done yet? =)

Umm, yeah, I'll get right on that. Have been back in the state now for nearly 48 hours. What can I say, just a slacker.

Glad you made it back safe man! Now, get out in the shop and get this thing done. I'm gonna need a riding buddy soon ;) (I hope)

Re: Shake the Box CL378

Progress, even at the pace of an arthritic snail is still progress, right? Yesterday the little beast had a "life-changing event."

We threw the lump into the truck and went down the road to the lair of Mr. Hurco550.

Things look very clean inside:

The new bottom gasket in place along w/ one of the GS850 pistons.

Second piston in place.

The freshly bored cylinder in place. (Thanx Mr E!)

New copper head gasket; 1.04mm thick & 69.5mm bore.

The cam journals all look very nice. This pix sort of looks like there is some scoring, but it's all very smooth and clean in there.

One of the reasons it looks good in there is because it had the factory recommended upper oiling issue fix done. Based on the engine number this engine is a very early '75 engine that may have come from the factory w/ the early 360 upper oiling problems. However, from what I've read, these two marks punched into the number plate on the case indicate the recommended fix has been done. Must be, it really is in very good shape internally. Was just informed this isn't correct... don't want to pass on bad info.

Levi drawing down the head bolts:

And there we go. It may not look much different, but it'll be a bit more fun and I've got the comfort of having new gaskets. Everything looked pretty clean and what little carbon there was has been removed, the cam looks great with little or no wear, the cam chain is good, and the chain slippers are also showing very little wear. Ready to go! (Now I just have to get off my ass and get to work on the rest of it.)

So, this little label isn't correct any more.

The punch marks on case mean the cam chain tensioner and cable guide were fitted, nothing to do with oil modifications.
As long as you do the transfer piece mod in clutch cover everything should be fine though

crazypj said:
The punch marks on case mean the cam chain tensioner and cable guide were fitted, nothing to do with oil modifications.
As long as you do the transfer piece mod in clutch cover everything should be fine though

Darn, not sure where I read that, it was a long time ago. Hate to have been carrying bad info around in my head all this time. ??? (Who knows what other useless crap is rattling around in there? ;D ) Which is the transfer piece mod?

CB450 clutch springs as an upgrade, right?

CB350 'race' springs from Bore-Tec, $15.00
Transfer piece mod is using a Dremel to increase oil flow through filter.
You have to remove clutch cover, the spring loaded part is removed and ground out a bit. Load of people have done it so far.
Pictures are in a couple of different threads or my 'build to Blog 360' thread (somewhere ::) )
Just checked, pics are re-posted on last page 8)

crazypj said:
CB350 'race' springs from Bore-Tec, $15.00
Transfer piece mod is using a Dremel to increase oil flow through filter.
You have to remove clutch cover, the spring loaded part is removed and ground out a bit. Load of people have done it so far.
Pictures are in a couple of different threads or my 'build to Blog 360' thread (somewhere ::) )
Just checked, pics are re-posted on last page 8)

Got it! The cover will be off soon anyway for cleaning, painting, clutch springs, and new gasket. You do man!

Your crank turn over all the way?

When I did my GS850 piston mod.. I had to get a thicker bottom and top gasket to allow my valves to clear the pistons. Your 1.04mm is quite a bit less than my total gasket thickness. I know not everyone has the issue...

hurco550 said:

I wish! Between the damn heat and working (I'm busier now than I was before I retired!) I can't seem to get anything done on the beast.

3DogNate said:
Your crank turn over all the way?

When I did my GS850 piston mod.. I had to get a thicker bottom and top gasket to allow my valves to clear the pistons. Your 1.04mm is quite a bit less than my total gasket thickness. I know not everyone has the issue...

I know the head gasket is suppose to be whatever the stock head gasket thickness is and the bottom, also, is suppose to be stock thickness. Dumb, I guess, I don't remember if it's been turned over or not. Hey Levi, did we do a couple of complete turn throughs after buttoning it back up? I know I didn't want to roll it over very much with it dry and no oil to pump.

ridesolo said:
I know the head gasket is suppose to be whatever the stock head gasket thickness is and the bottom, also, is suppose to be stock thickness. Dumb, I guess, I don't remember if it's been turned over or not. Hey Levi, did we do a couple of complete turn throughs after buttoning it back up? I know I didn't want to roll it over very much with it dry and no oil to pump.
Nope, pretty sure we didn't.....

hurco550 said:
Nope, pretty sure we didn't.....

Hmmm, spoze I oughta. Certainly would be an attitude changer to get the thing all buttoned up, put together, filled w/ oil and gas and then kick it in anticipation.... :-[

ridesolo said:
Hmmm, spoze I oughta. Certainly would be an attitude changer to get the thing all buttoned up, put together, filled w/ oil and gas and then kick it in anticipation.... :-[
That would be a bummer, but if it's an issue it wouldn't take long to tear it down and fix it this time

hurco550 said:
That would be a bummer, but if it's an issue it wouldn't take long to tear it down and fix it this time

Yeah, now that we are familiar w/ the thing it wouldn't be a big issue. I was just out in the shop and turned it through a few times. It turns over nicely and seems to have good compression. All is good. I really didn't think there would be an issue, I got the head gasket that CrazyPJ said would be best and didn't do any machining to tighten things up/increase compression.

Back
Top Bottom