Shake the Box CL360/378 - The Hedgehog - Done

Re: Shake the Box CL360

I've also been looking at two 6v batteries in series to get 12v. They could be mounted in different places and use 4~6 (maybe even 8~10?) gauge lead to connect them. Onlt $7.95each on eBay plus $5.00 shipping (two are same shipping price)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6V-5AH-ST-SLA-Battery-/112108689328?hash=item1a1a32d7b0:g:w8YAAOSw-itXvw3k
These are even cheaper
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Sonic-2-Pack-6v-4ah-Sealed-Lead-Acid-Battery-6v4ah-6-Volt-4-Amp-Hour-/380924924789?hash=item58b0e51375:g:pNcAAOSwLs5XKlDo

crazypj said:
Guess Matt is going to have to come up with something full of Zener diodes and capacitors ;D

Funny you should mention that... ;D

I'm currently tinkering with a tricolor LED and a voltage divider setup in order to have a single dashboard light that changes color to indicate charging.

Something like this, maybe?
Yellow-> Bike on, not charging
Blue -> Charging, but voltage low
Green -> Charging, in spec
Orange -> Charging, but voltage high
Red -> Overcharging

Attachments

• led_pinout.png
    led_pinout.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 939

I like that idea ^^

I have a simple little digital voltmeter I've been meaning to install on the 360 for a while now, thanks for reminding me ;D

That is EXCELLENT! I've been contemplating making one of the "Lego" digital voltage readouts that somebody on here did but I haven't gone beyond contemplation because I know that just a voltage reading is only part of the info needed. It's at times like this that I regret my years of being a desk jockey in my professional life.

Of course I forgot to get a "before" pix of the petcock I got for the CB500T gas tank. :-\ However, after some clean-up, some new O-rings, and new 4mmX8 stainless button heads it's ready for now. I need to find a better looking front plate, but it'll work.

It's back up on the table time. The forks have to come back off to repaint the lowers in the frame color, change the spacers to bring the the height back up an inch, and take a spacer out from under the bottom bearing.

Then there'll be work on the frame and swinger and hopefully I'll be able to get the swinger done, painted, and safely stashed away until reassembly.

And since I've got it apart I thought I'd show a pix of the bottom of the top triple that my brother, The Mad Scientist, made. When we were discussing the thing he said he had some ideas on how to do it and I told him to indulge himself. He decided to use these tapered collets because they are very strong and, admittedly, for the "wow" factor. They are pretty cool, but I'm sure glad I won't be taking the thing apart very often! All those little bolts, eight per side, are a major pain.

I didn't know anyone actually made those style tube locks.
I designed a pair for adjustable yokes I never made ;D

crazypj said:
I didn't know anyone actually made those style tube locks.
I designed a pair for adjustable yokes I never made ;D

My brother has been an engineer all his life (he's almost 73 now) and has an incredibly wide background; mechanical, electrical, electronic, machining, industrial, aircraft, gunsmithing, marine, agricultural, civil engineering, forestry, wood working, solar, hydro electric, wind, etc. I guess these tapered collets are pretty common on industrial machines for attaching pulleys and sprockets to shafts and who knows what else. He had several pair of the things on hand but didn't have 37mm so he ordered them from McMaster-Carr or some such company. You just tighten around the circle of bolts and by the time you get back to the first one it's loose. Go around and around and eventually they are all tight and the thing isn't going to come apart. He acknowledged that they are overkill for this use, but he thought the cool factor was just too much to ignore. He really wanted to put them on the top side, I said no to that but told him that if I ever do a bike in Steam Punk I'd let him just go wild.

No pix today, but I made some good progress. Got the spacer I don't need out from under the bottom fork bearing w/o destroying the bearing. Repainted the bottom triple in the frame color and will press the bearing back on tomorrow.

I took the fork tubes back apart and changed out the lower spacer. I originally decided to put in a 2" spacer, but after getting it back onto its feet with the engine in I could see that lowering it only 1" rather than 2" would be adequate. I probably should have taken some pix. To get these apart you have to compress the top cap in the fork tube to pull out the little keeper ring. I put a long socket extension into my drill press and use it like an arbor press. Gloves & eye protection, of course, and then go slow and easy, it works great. Got them apart, changed out the bottom spacer, poured the fork oil back in, and reassembled. Tomorrow the black paint on the fork lowers will get scuffed and cleaned and they, too, will be painted the frame color.

Up to this point I haven't done anything w/ the wheels so it was time to start. I got the front brake disk off; holy cow, RED thread locker! I haven't decided whether to clean up, mask, & paint the disk or just replace it. It's well thicker than the minimum thickness so there's lots of life left in it but it's a little bit ridged. I'm not sure how much of that is acceptable.

Started the clean-up on the front wheel. I'm not sure the wheels have had any kind of serious cleaning since they were new in '02! Talk about serious film and scum. Not sure how it got there but there appears to be some spray paint on the rear wheel as well. Lots of mildly abrasive stuff and elbow grease required. This kind of thing isn't my favorite, but it's gotta' get done.

Wow lots of progress. Check this out for your disk. May be cheaper than sourcing a new one.

http://www.truedisk.net

hurco550 said:
Wow lots of progress. Check this out for your disk. May be cheaper than sourcing a new one.
http://www.truedisk.net

Thanx! Will check them out. I'd love to put a couple of new, fancy shaped disks on it, but can't spend that much cash.

I got the fork lowers scuffed, cleaned, and painted.

I also got the lower steering bearing back on the lower triple.

And got started on cleaning the wheels. They're cleaning up ok but I'm still not sure if I'm going to use 'em as-is or if I do some painting.

Front:

Rear:

Tomorrow the swing arm comes back off for mounting the hugger fender mounts and then prime and paint.

ridesolo said:
My brother has been an engineer all his life (he's almost 73 now) and has an incredibly wide background; mechanical, electrical, electronic, machining, industrial, aircraft, gunsmithing, marine, agricultural, civil engineering, forestry, wood working, solar, hydro electric, wind, etc. I guess these tapered collets are pretty common on industrial machines for attaching pulleys and sprockets to shafts and who knows what else. He had several pair of the things on He really wanted to put them on the top side, I said no to that but told him that if I ever do a bike in Steam Punk I'd let him just go wild.

That's damn cool, from the top would be even cooler and more 'industrial'.
Do you have link or more pictures?
I've seen them as part of a pully system where taper is machined directly into pully but never as a bolt in piece for parallel bore

crazypj said:
That's damn cool, from the top would be even cooler and more 'industrial'.
Do you have link or more pictures?
I've seen them as part of a pully system where taper is machined directly into pully but never as a bolt in piece for parallel bore.

I guess the things are also known as taper lock bushings. Mike says they are a fairly common industrial item. Here are some more pix:

The three extra threaded holes in the flange are there so you have a way to pull them apart if they stick:

The outer ring slides down into the machined hole then inner ring sides in there. As you draw the two rings together w/ the bolts they grip tighter and tighter both on the outside and the inside. Ain't gunna' come apart, period.

The reason I said no to mounting 'em on the top is because I didn't want to have worry about those eight little socket heads getting filled w/ water and then rusting if I ever happen to have it get rained on. Putting something other than socket heads in there that wouldn't collect water (and dust) would take care of that problem, but wouldn't look as cool. It is a pretty cool way to secure the thing, that's for sure.

My next thing was to take the swing arm off and get it ready for painting. That included fitting up the brackets for the rear hugger fender. I think it's going to work!

I've got some small parts to clean up in the little sandblast cabinet, some finish sanding on the swinger & fender, prime it all, and then squirt paint. Sure am enjoying (finally) actually getting some work done on this little beast!

Probably a stock size bolt thread so maybe some stainless steel hex heads? ;)
I'm going to look them up on McMaster-Carr 8)

crazypj said:
Probably a stock size bolt thread so maybe some stainless steel hex heads? ;)
I'm going to look them up on McMaster-Carr 8)

If they don't have 'em exactly like that in Mc-C one of the similar other places will.

Well, me and paint... the painting has been going very well of late. Haven't had any problems for some time, really not since I did the first fork lower in black a year or two ago. Since then things have been going very well w/ the rattle cans... until today. Wow, couldn't have been worse. I got the wheels all cleaned and prepared and started on the front one. What a disaster! The stuff just didn't want to lay down cleanly. Fortunately I didn't get too much on before I knew it was time to give up, clean up, and start again. It's cleaned up now and this time it's going great. How frustrating. As long as it doesn't happen when I start to paint the tins. :mad:

On another note, I decided to do some baking this evening. Tried to whip up something different; something high in iron.

Hopefully wheels and swinger painted tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom