Shake the Box CL360/378 - The Hedgehog - Done

Re: Shake the Box CL360

You'll have to re-paint if you weld on frame, wa trying to come up with some way to avoid that ;)

crazypj said:
You'll have to re-paint if you weld on frame, wa trying to come up with some way to avoid that ;)

Understood... I appreciate that. I was sittin' out there last night and looked closer; even if the brake master weren't a problem, the V-shaped mounts are pretty much equadistant, so there wouldn't be anything to be gained from flipping them. Good idea, though. The frame was sandblasted and I just shot a quickie coat of primer on it, so there isn't much loss there if I have to reweld the lugs. I've got to put in electrics box and seat mount points, maybe another tank mount, and who knows what all else anyway, so there is still welding to be done on it.

;D Some people can paint, I have a hell of a job with it so anything that avoids re-painting is good with me ;)

I got my clip ons in today. Very happy w/ them; good quality, just the look I wanted, and the price was reasonable. They'll look good w/ the aluminum top triple when it's on there.

I am digging the clip ons man. Looks great! Glad you chose that tank too =)

Shake the Box CL360 - Top Triple w/ DanMoto in!

Got my new top triple w/ integrated DanMoto dashboard in. My bro the Mad Scientist does good work, huh?

Keep an eye on it. An upper triple doesn't seem like a good candidate for a wood replacement, to me.

Sonreir said:
Keep an eye on it. An upper triple doesn't seem like a good candidate for a wood replacement, to me.

+1 unless you got an aluminum top hidden underneath that fancy piece of lumber. I'm no engineer but that just don't seem right.

Safety first bro.

I think it will be fine, as long as it doesn't catch fire ;) top triples are not an important structural part of the motorcycle like seat pans, hand grips and license plate holders are. I think I thick coat of lacquer will help hold it together though. Like trek said... safety first

Well, we've been trying to get enough soda and beer cans together to melt down and cast one so my brother the Mad Scientist made this plug so we could make a mold... it turned out so pretty that we figured, "what the heck!"

Thanx for the word about safety. It's coated in boiled oil, that makes the wood stronger!

Seriously, you don't think it'll work????

Make sure that you use Old Milwaukee beer cans only. Other aluminum doesn't have the right tensile strength. And, it's irresponsible to spend more than 50 cents a can for beer.

hurco550 said:
Make sure that you use Old Milwaukee beer cans only. Other aluminum doesn't have the right tensile strength. And, it's irresponsible to spend more than 50 cents a can for beer.

I was planning to use LaCroix cans. I'm not much of a beer drinker, it always seemed to me that the horse had diabetes... besides, if I made it outa' beer cans that smell would probably linger and I'd have people following me all over. Hmmm, maybe if they started putting Maker's Mark in cans...

Nice one ;D
Top yoke has to stop frork tops moving forwards and backwards.
The weakest point is where stem nut sits, with grain running 'sideways' there is a good possibility of splitting
With telescopic forks the majority of stress is on bottom yoke, it could work?
Saying that, using plug for new casting is a great idea 8)

ridesolo said:
Yup. Central American hardwood called CheChin.

Sheesh, I'm getting it from all directions: The Mad Scientist says that it's not Che Chen, it's Palo Blanco from Argentina. (Hanging my head in shame...)

hurco550 said:

Mad Scientist also corrected me about the casting material. He says we would have been using ONLY Bud Light cans because any aluminum that can sit around w/ that stuff in it can take anything.

You wouldn't happen to know of anyone interested in this 500 ninja swinger that is machined to fit an old cl360? =)

58433c2dcdedaa46c63461b61a37335d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom