'75 CB500T new member help

jro75

Howdy, new member here and starting my 1st project. Glad I found this site, tons of good info/ideas and I'm sure I will be spending a decent amount of time here.

Anyway, I picked up a 1975 honda CB500T, have begun stripping it down and have a few questions. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, mods please move it if so.

First off, I'd like to ditch the prechamber on the header pipes. What effect would this have? I'm thinking of cutting/grinding down the mounts and plugging/welding the holes & then wrapping the pipes with tape.

Also, I would like to replace the air cleaners with some foam pods, however I am a little confused on the whole "blow by gas circulation system" that the 500t uses (gas from cylinder head is channeled into a breather box that then is mixed in with the fresh air from the air cleaners before going back into the carbs).

That's it......for now at least.

Oh yeah, pics to come......when I have something worth sharing

jro75 said:
Howdy, new member here and starting my 1st project. Glad I found this site, tons of good info/ideas and I'm sure I will be spending a decent amount of time here.

Anyway, I picked up a 1975 honda CB500T, have begun stripping it down and have a few questions. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, mods please move it if so.

First off, I'd like to ditch the prechamber on the header pipes. What effect would this have? I'm thinking of cutting/grinding down the mounts and plugging/welding the holes & then wrapping the pipes with tape.

Also, I would like to replace the air cleaners with some foam pods, however I am a little confused on the whole "blow by gas circulation system" that the 500t uses (gas from cylinder head is channeled into a breather box that then is mixed in with the fresh air from the air cleaners before going back into the carbs).

That's it......for now at least.

Oh yeah, pics to come......when I have something worth sharing

anything is worth sharing.... even if its in boxes.....

Welcome.

On the later model kz650s with the "blow by gas circulation system", guys just remove all the tubing and plug off all the ports. You can run a hose between the two ports on top of the engine (if it has two) or make plates to block them off.
You will need to re-jet your carbs when you switch to pod filters.

If you keep the air filter housing and just replace the filters with foam or Uni filters, the breather box will work just as it would with a stock air filter. Side note, make shore the rubber grommet around the air box creates a good seal.

Yeah I wouldn't plug the breather hose from the heads, that's a really good way to blow out all the seals in that engine. Just do like all the 450s did an run a hose off the back port down to the space between the engine and the swing arm and let it just breath. Or connect one of those cool little air filters to it.

Back
Top Bottom