Honda XL250 Motorsport 72 cafe brat

Don't mind Xb, just think of him as the cranky uncle that has seen all this before and is sick of explaining it. Actually that goes for nearly everyone on here.

Just raise them back up to stock height and lower them internally if you want the front lower.
Another thing to consider might be an inch smaller front rim. That way you can have the height you want and keep the shock travel needed. It will still effect handling, just not as bad as next to no shock travel and smashing your front tyre into the lower tripple.

As for powdercoating, try an industrial place rather than a customs place. Just get them to throw it in with their next load of black and it will be a hell of a lot cheaper. My rims and forks were done with a lot of pool fencing.

Thanks Brodie, I lowered them internally to get the rake that I was after but I think the picture is a little deceiving as I don't plan on running any drop in the triples. I didn't like the idea of running a bike that was enduro designed, about 28-9 degree rake, on a pure road based bike. My gt1000 runs about 24 degrees which is tight but is compensated by a decent trail. I plan on setting this bike up similarly but with a slightly more relaxed rake of around 25-6 degrees with a similar trail to the duke. The best part is that it is so easy to trial and adjust. I appreciate that some of these guys have done a lot of this stuff before but they should maybe take the time to see the knowledge base of the people they are abusing before they shoot. I like the idea of going to a more industrial powder coater. I hadn't even thought along those lines, thanks.

I have a local guy, maybe you do to, that charges by the oven load. So no matter what amount of stuff you powder coat, the price is the same. If you plan on coating more parts, then at least you can draw value by getting a larger amount of parts coated.

As far as comments, they are all over the place here. Just consider that the XL250 is considered by many to be the best of it's kind. To alter the geometry of that bike is going to draw criticism, before you even get into guts of the build.

Thanks Deviant, little bits of gold like that are why I joined the forum. As Brodie let me know yesterday, it seems the industrial guys are better for pricing and bulk loading like you said would be a better option as well. As far as comments go, I've had my retort and understand everyone has their opinion. I'm over it. Cheers for the advice.

Sheepinwolfs said:
Thanks Deviant, little bits of gold like that are why I joined the forum. As Brodie let me know yesterday, it seems the industrial guys are better for pricing and bulk loading like you said would be a better option as well. As far as comments go, I've had my retort and understand everyone has their opinion. I'm over it. Cheers for the advice.
I wasn't giving opinion

So! I had an old friend over last week and he had some interesting input to the build. He has made me rethink the styling of the bike and put forward some valid reasons to do so. Namely, staying true to the style of bike this is. "Why would you want to make it look like a cafe racer when it's an enduro bike, why not more like a tracker?" I argued with him a bit, as I do. But in the long run it got me thinking. I do like the brat tracker look........oh crap! Directions....change. And xb33bsa. I might just raise those forks.....a little bit. New ideas:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 1,371
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 1,451
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,417
Brat tracker is less of a stretch, but either way it's your bike. If you wanna hang 5 wheels off the damn thing, it's really no one elses business. I'm sure "xb33bsa" has some very comfortable, safe, well built bikes, but I'm also sure they will all fall short of interesting original aestetic design. If it excites you, go for it. Pretty isn't always safe.

Tracker inspiration:

Attachments

• XL350%20FT%20Champion%20sm.jpg
    XL350%20FT%20Champion%20sm.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 375
So. Things are moving slowly but moving none the less. I was debating what to do with the front wheel. I pulled it down and considered a re-lace and leaving the 21 inch front, but I really like the 18 look so I was torn. I searched the net far and wide and everything I could find told me that re-lacing an 18 rim onto my hub was the best bet. Then I went to the wreckers. BINGO! A cb175 front wheel! Same axle, same fork width. I only need to figure out a mount for the brake stay and now I'm rocking a twin leading shoe drum at the front. It does need some TLC but that's the easy part. :p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 381
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    995.7 KB · Views: 373
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    862.8 KB · Views: 380
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    916.6 KB · Views: 386
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 388
Moving forward! I started to set up the rear hoop on the frame. Still not entirely sure about length of the seat so I have shelved any more frame mods till I have it rolling again. On that note, I have stripped the wheels and ordered some new spokes. I took the rims back with some sandpaper and etched then top coated them in epoxy. Rattle can quality but that's the budget I'm working to. I also gave the hubs a once over to see if I they were worthy of polishing or not. They certainly seem to be.. Now I need to decide if black rims with polished hubs and spokes will look any good?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 375
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 372
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 386
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 369
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    785.3 KB · Views: 370
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    824.6 KB · Views: 415
One wheel laced and true! Took around three hours. Surprisingly straight forward just really fiddly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    912.1 KB · Views: 382
Thanks guys, it's coming together slowly.

Got the forks apart again and the lowers got a shot of satin black epoxy to match the rims. I hit the bottom triple clamp as well. Once again I am deciding what to do with the rear wheel. Rim is done in satin black but the casting on the rear hub is not conducive to a polish without major work. I'm thinking that I'll paint the hub black and polish the brake plate and sprocket mount? Should look the tits I think. And save me some precious elbow grease.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    647.7 KB · Views: 350
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 354
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    897.1 KB · Views: 362
So, rear wheel is laced and true. Went with the black hub and will polish the brake plate and Cush-drive/sprocket plate. I now have one of my biggest selections (in my mind) to make, what tires?!?!? I really like the look of trials tires but I am having trouble finding many here in Australia. I think the close blocked knobs are a sweet mix between old school dirt and road contact area. If I can find some, the IRC TR-1 looks sweet but if anyone has some suggestions, have at it.

Pirelli city demons, good grip, easy to get. Can't see a tyre when you are riding.

Thanks Brodie, I had a look at those but I wanted to go with something I can ride a dirt track/ fire trail or two if the situation arises. I would love to hear if anyone has experience with either the Kenda K262 or Heidenau K60. For those overseas, here in Australia it seems we have a much more limited selection. Especially with the 18inch front rim. Again any suggestions are welcome. Oh and a couple of pics of the rear hub and wheel pieced together.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    606 KB · Views: 341
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    871.9 KB · Views: 390
Hi, I'm back from a bit over a month away and keen to get some shit done! ( in my own slow way). Ordered my tyres today, which has been a big choice. Went with the Kenda K262's which are a trials style tread but more like the original rubber. They give an option for some off-road if the need arises. Check the pics below if you haven't seen them before. They also offer some sizes that seem to be becoming less and less available. Until they arrive I've got plenty to do, need to get the frame stripped and coated and decide what I'm doing with the engine? Paint the covers and leave the tarnished alloy fins or paint it all? Any way, also found some interesting ideas to keep the bike functional to and from work, plus they look awesome, panniers! The pics below of the canvas jobbies are from farmersracer.com and look bloody great. Anyway, to the shed!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 412
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 397
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,753
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg