KZ440 LTD Build - Frame is now cut -

That's a tough decision given how far you've come. You are pretty much resigned to a single rear shock (unless you re-weld the OEM tail end back on). However, here is some guidance I saved from the KZ Twins site concerning the OEM front end that might be easier for you to accomplish:

"Stock fork oil is 10W IIRC, due to wear I'd suggest using 15W if you do not want to mod the damper rods.

It's been a while since I messed with the Z400G, I think I did the fork mods in 2005. But I searched around a bit on this site and found this that I wrote years ago:

If you just want a harsh front end for control, you should use 20W or 25W fork oil together with springs from Progressive. However, if you want a compliant, yet controlled ride with reserves for big bumps, here's my recommendation:

Drill out the lower fork damper holes to 1/4 in to reduce compression damping. Clean everything inside the fork and deburr your holes. Put fork back together.

Fill up with 184 cc of fork oil with 20W or 25W viscosity, preferably synthetic if you can get it. Pump the fork repeatedly to get all air out of the system and the level correct - if you do not pump the legs (do this without springs) your oil level will be wrong. Volume [measurement] isn't accurate enough IMO.

You should remove the springs and collapse the fork completely. Oil level should be 435 mm from the top (17.1 in) - stock. I would start with 410 mm and fine tune from there. Remember to pump the fork repeatedly before measuring level as it will drop a lot if you just fill and measure without pumping."

Hello Tifun, this is my (just finished) project... As you can see, the frame has been modified without cutting too much ;)

Attachments

• 440LTD_rid.jpg
    440LTD_rid.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 299
TravisBarker1982 said:
Hello Tifun, this is my (just finished) project... As you can see, the frame has been modified without cutting too much ;)

Classy! my first real motorcycle was a KZ440 I had much fun on that bike.

TravisBarker1982 said:
Travis - any details anywhere on your build?

Hello Zap! No, this is the very first picture that I uploaded on the net... Maybe, tomorrow I will take some serious pics of the finished buke, but I have a lot of material taken during the working phases. If you want I can open a new dedicated topic.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using DO THE TON mobile app

TravisBarker1982 said:
If you want I can open a new dedicated topic.

Yes please! Especially interested in the frame work, side panel construction and other body parts (looks like KZ400 wheels?).

Haha tuna-fish!

Nice bike travis, I look forward to seeing the thread on your build, I'm about halfway through a kz440 project myself, still hoping to getting around to starting a thread.

YoungMoneyyy said:
Haha tuna-fish!

Nice bike travis, I look forward to seeing the thread on your build, I'm about halfway through a kz440 project myself, still hoping to getting around to starting a thread.

Ok, I just moved all photos from old phone to my computer, so I can start my build topic. I have something like 300+ pics LOL
What section of forum is more appropriated? I wolud write and upload gradually because my English is slow to wrtite and not perfect (I'm Italian).

Sorry for OT!

Welcome to the show my friend... The one that never ends... come inside come inside...

I would say Bober. others may say something different, but it's a bober... post the process as detailed as you can, that is what the Jr. Achievers look for here :eek:

The bike is sweet btw, if it only had some power :-X

Tune-A-Fish said:
Flat seat?
Yes - mostly. Except for the slight upturn at the rear. Most bobber seats I've seen are solo dished-out seats. http://www.bikeexif.com/?s=bobber

Whatever dude... the only cafe on the entire thing is the bars, but it's a free country so I say go for it!!

TravisBarker1982 said:
Lovely bike, nice photo location too!

Looking forward to seeing the monoshock rear Ti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom