www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Seafoam down spark plug holes?  (Read 722 times)

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
Seafoam down spark plug holes?
« on: Nov 26, 2014, 18:32:15 »
I've been doing a lot of searching and can't quite find this exact scenario/question.

I have a bike that's been running really rich and has some carbon build up on the piston tops. I'll be addressing the rich running and giving it a full tune-up, but I was wondering if I could squirt a little SeaFoam down the spark plug holes and let it sit for a bit to loosen the carbon. Then, fire it up and run it for a bit before changing the oil.

Just a one time thing to try to help loosen and remove some of the carbon without doing a tear down. It's not horrible carbon, but could definitely stand to be cleaned out if possible.

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
Re: Seafoam down spark plug holes?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2014, 18:56:09 »
Try it with the engine running, but use the vacuum ports in the carbs and a hose.  Suck the sea foam out of the bottle just a little at a time (it should sound like someone finishing up a milk shake with a straw) and try not to fully submerge the hose.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2014, 19:03:36 »
some carbon buildup is actually beneficial it helps to insulate the combustion chamber and piston form absorbing too much heat
i really don't think it is a good idea creating a solution of abrasive carbon and thin oil that will make its way between the rings it could possibly start scoring the bore
there are methods to introduce a substance into the intake while an engine is running that are perpateted to clean out carbon de-pozits

Offline KICKRacing

« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2014, 23:50:23 »
I would say squirt the seafoam with a spray bottle down the carbs instead. Do it while its running. this way it cleans the carbs too.

I ruined a civic engine once from pouring too much seafoam down the cylinders and revving it too high to for long and fried the rings. it was stupid and I was way to hard on the engine.

Offline Redliner

« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2014, 22:41:55 »
What happened to good old steam cleaning? Ever seen how clean a chamber is with coolant leaking in it?
I'm pretty sure I'd know if I were being manipulated by some overwhelming, mesmerizing, quasi-divine entity anointed by its own cult of personality. Nobody could be that stupid. So who's ready for the Super Bowl?