'86 Interceptor 2 smoke project

Oh ya, its a powerful bike ;) About 45 Hp and maybe a little more if I put a reed valve in it, custom exhaust and jet the carb accordingly. Maybe adjust the gearing, too.

When I told my son what I was going to do, he almost started crying. He is saving his money for a small four wheeler, and he wants me to keep the RMX to go riding with him. I can't argue with that.
Sooooo... I got a good deal on a big two stroke thumper. I'll post more details and pics when it arrives.

interceptor said:
When I told my son what I was going to do, he almost started crying. He is saving his money for a small four wheeler, and he wants me to keep the RMX to go riding with him. I can't argue with that.
Sooooo... I got a good deal on a big two stroke thumper. I'll post more details and pics when it arrives.

Details ! :eek: ;D a 500 ?!

interceptor said:

Thats a good man, putting your son in front of your projects. Probably means more to him than you realize right now.

I told my son, if he saved half, I would match it. And he is about there! He`s seven and can save money. Good kid!
I did a lot of research on a few different engines. First was the CR500. Great engine, but dang, they are not.cheap! So I said by by to that. Then there was the YZ 490. Not a very well liked engine. Then there was a YZ250, my RMX250, an RM450 (?), and then a RD350, a RZ350, a DT400.... Some were good choices, some not. Some were only made 1 year, some were way to much money, some I just couldn`t find parts for. So I settled on a ......stay tuned :)

The engine is on its way to me, so now I feel I can tell you what it is that I decided on. Like I said, I looked at just about everything. All I know is that I wanted a bigger engine, something that is reliable, can take a beating and just ask for more and something that could easily be built upon. So when I came upon this engine, it met all the criteria. It was built for a couple of years, so it is not a 1 year engine. And it shares an endure brother of the same lump, so I believe I can steal the alternator off of the endure and swap it to this engine. Without further ado, I present to you the engine of my choice:
YZ400_zpsrmaqtsoa.jpg

1978 YZ400

Another thing I really like is that it is air cooled, so no worries of leaking antifreeze all over the floor :D The engine is complete minus the reed valve and carb. I already knew I would have to do something different with the exhaust because of the frame rails being so different on the Interceptor. I may have to have it go underneath the bike, but I can't really make that call until everything is mounted. The only tricky thing is going to be the rear engine mount. But, I think I have it all figured out. And in stock form, this engine pushes around 40 HP, so it's not a lightweight. My research indicates that the engine itself responds well to upgrades. So the plan right now is to get it in the bike, get it running and then I can expand upon some of those possibilities in the future. Still looking for a decent tank that doesn't cost a crap load, and seat parts. I have also decided that I will forgo the stock handlebars, and instead mount some clip ons. But I would like to have the tank first so I can see if they hit the tank when mounted.

Can you 180 that cylinder TZ style and poop the expando direct out to the looser behind you hehe... That ole YZ 400 used too be a hill climbing sob so it should pull super hard through the curve, Nice find and good choice!

Might have to gear it small to go fast so be prepared to push start or buy a pile of clutch plates :eek:

Hi Scott-

I was eyeballing that project too! Almost bought it. Too many projects on my side though. 4 bikes as it is and no room. I'll be watching. Let me know if you need any local help.

BTW, I sold the 350 project.

Eric

Hey buddy,
I saw it and jumped on it as fast as I could. Always loved these bikes. Thanks for the offer, I may need you when I start wiring this thing up ;)

Tune-A-Fish said:
Can you 180 that cylinder TZ style and poop the expando direct out to the looser behind you hehe...

Might have to gear it small to go fast so be prepared to push start or buy a pile of clutch plates :eek:

Why yes, yes I can ;D
Yes, didn't think about that. I'll try something (Gearing) in between just to start. I would imagine these things went a good clip in stock form anyways. Hopefully it's not a vibrating monster when I get up to speed :eek:

Think Harley Evolution when mounting up even the small dampening mounts could make a big difference in the grip massager 400 lol

Holy crap, the tanks for these things aren`t cheap. Wonder if I could use a CBR tank cover? I guess anythings possible with a welder :)

interceptor said:
Holy crap, the tanks for these things aren`t cheap. Wonder if I could use a CBR tank cover? I guess anythings possible with a welder :)

an Interceptor 500(86' is gravity feed w/ no fuel pump unlike previous ones)tank ? how about Ebay ?

interceptor said:
Thats where I checked. Not cheap! There was one on there for $900. Most are unuseable.

I just looked on Ebay and found an 86'(the add says "85" but the oem color tells the story) VF500F tank in OH. w/ petcock for $200+ or Best offer w/ free shipping,it has a couple dents and needs to be cleaned out according to the text in the add.Why not offer the guy$150 ? where are you located ?

Have you tried searching for 'Honda VF500 parts' on searchtempest.com ?

Back
Top Bottom