95 Nighthawk cb750 build. You know where this is headed don't you?

downtown809

Trying to keep out of trouble
Well as I wore you fellow wrenchers out with my cookie cutter cx builds and I have run out of donor bikes in my area I have moved on. This time we will be wrenching on this 95 Nighthawk. I got it for dirt cheap as the seat was shot and the clear was coming off, no worries right?

Thought I would share a couple pictures of the two most recent builds and one of how the Nighthawk sits today. The tank is just sitting there, needs some work once I get the correct forks installed.

Well this is the best picture I can muster given the fact that the front end is removed and off to Cognito Moto getting a conversion stem, R6 to Nighthawk. I got the tabs off the frame and found there was minimal electronics to find a new home for. The hoop is on, and a pattern for the seat has been made. A local guy made me a new top clamp as Darren isn't tooled up for these yet.

Attachments

• IMAG0435.jpg
    IMAG0435.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 367
downtown809 said:
Thought I would share a couple pictures of the two most recent builds and one of how the Nighthawk sits today. The tank is just sitting there, needs some work once I get the correct forks installed.

In the first pic, how did you get that finish? Is it copper plated?

Copper plate. It will tarnish if not waxed but it does look great and can easily be brought to nickel or chrome.

How much does it have to be waxed? What was the cost involved? My bike is going to be mainly black but with copper detail but always wanted to do the tank copper. I was going to go down a copper powder coat route which can look good, not compared to the real thing though.

Just a coat of good auto wax a couple times a year should do unless you, God forbid, park it out in the rain... The shop has charged me between $300 and $400 depending on how much soldering he has to do. You are correct copper plate trumps copper powder coat. You need to start out with a damage free tank, the dented ones need paint to cover up the 30 years of sins.

Back at it again with this CB750 build.
I put R6 forks on it but now how do I mount a headlight as the forks are huge?

I saw a guy on Instagram built a CB550 for his wife with a wireless ignition, push the button and the bikes live, you just have to push the start button. As I didn't want to find a new location for the key I decided to go this route.

downtown809 said:
I saw a guy on Instagram built a CB550 for his wife with a wireless ignition, push the button and the bikes live, you just have to push the start button. As I didn't want to find a new location for the key I decided to go this route.

Where did you get that ignition system? I really want to do that on my cafe build as well! I thought about using a Nighthawk too - the older Nighthawk S is what I had my eye on. Cool Project, I'm in for this one.

True story, the only purpose of the remote is to power the ignition and
eliminate the need to mount a key somewhere on the bike.

downtown809 said:
True story, the only purpose of the remote is to power the ignition and
eliminate the need to mount a key somewhere on the bike.

I'm doing the same thing for the same reason. Mine seems like a lot more parts though. Where did you get yours?

Mine is a copy of this one:

http://koskoski.com/?p=1

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Universal-Remote-Control/dp/B000ZRW78Q?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

Plus I got the relay too as I didn't figure 15 amp would cover it.

I know a few fighter guys who have hooked up remote starts on their FI bikes (pretty hard to remote start a carb'd bike). You get some weird looks when people see a bike start up by itself :eek:

I put a keyless ignition on my ZX9 fighter a few years back - if yours is anything like the one I had it will drain your battery within a few days if you keep the unit hardwired in. I ended up hooking the power for the latching unit up to a switch so I could isolate it from draining the battery.

Pretty cool things otherwise ;)

I think I missed with sticker placement. Bagged the remote power as I ran out of room in my electronics box. Almost ready on this one. Man what a long haul.

Back
Top Bottom