73 CL125s: Billiwhacker

Both brakes = cleaned and polished. Today I got the forks taken completely apart, blasted the springs, sanded and neutralized the rust, replaced the seals, and put it all back together! But alas I don't have new rubber top seals for the fork ears. I can't find a part number, but it's part 22 here:

IQGQdRm.gif

I still have the old rubber seals which are far from fresh. Anyone know the name of the part or something comparable I can fashion?

022 MOUNT, FORK COVER
51621-107-000

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Honda-CB100-K2-K3-CL100S-CL100-CL125S-CB125S-Mount-Fork-Cover-Upper-Cushion-/171511449702?hash=item27eee10866&vxp=mtr

http://www.cmsnl.com/products/mount-fork-upper_51621107000/#.Vf59bSg7ieE

Woooah. It rollllssss!

QhspaV0.jpg

And with the tank!

fWCguLx.jpg

Fh0Iyew.jpg

I guessed I might run into clearance issues with the rear tire, specifically on the low inner part of the fender that tapers in, but it seems alright. I might need to do a little bit of fender modification later on. But hey, I'm happy.

I haven't cleaned up the rear shocks yet because I'm thinking about splurging on a nice shiny new set at the end of the build. We will see ;D

The engine is ready to be bolted in, but I'd like to do a little bit more cleaning first.

Always a big day when they are a roller. Looks good. That is a lot of rear tire. What size is it?

Hah, yeah, the rear tire ended up being a bit bigger than I anticipated. It's a 3.50. I run a 3.25 on my other 125 so I figured it wouldn't look so monstrous. But, ya know, it's a scrambler, and I wanted to give it some beef!

Looks great! Those tires are cool. Did your bike come with an 18" or 17" front wheel? I can't tell from the photos. Mine has an 18" front, 17" rear.

Yep, 18 front/17 rear. That was standard for all years of the 100/125 I think. The smaller rear wheel always kind of looked funny to me, which is partly why I wanted so much rubber on the rear.

But anyway, thanks for encouraging me to keep going, guys! I just took my '75 on a quick ride down my favorite road (Mulholland to Decker). Nice mid-70's temperature after a hot afternoon.

zTDqQ3s.jpg

Engine is in! What a pain in the ass it was to figure out how to work it in there (hehe).

oXIJGaE.jpg

I have a bit more housecleaning to do before putting everything back on, but it's nice to have some extra counter space with the engine gone.

MHWPe5x.jpg

Also, I have a replacement exhaust gasket. This is the old one, right? Just checking because it doesn't look much like the replacement:

X9jwifK.jpg

g5TCrH9.jpg

Thanks guys!

Sweet. What's the trick to maneuvering the engine in place?

The exhaust gasket that was on your bike looks just like the one that was on mine. My replacement, which I picked up at a Honda dealer (18291-MN5-650), looked like a copper ring. It works. ReMX appears to have a gasket that looks more original, though it's hard to be sure which- they reuse the photo:

http://re-mx.com/sl100-sl125/honda-copper-exhaust-gasket
http://re-mx.com/sl100-sl125/sl100-sl125-cb100-exhaust-gasket

Probably the latter. Maybe the copper ring is an improved part.

Have fun cleaning where no one will ever see, hehehe... I scraped the rectangular rubber pad that the battery rests against when I cleaned up my airbox, and simply stuck some weatherstripping on the back of my battery. The bottom rubber mount was still in good shape. The frame-mount grommets were trashed so I bought new ones.

iatethepeach said:
What's the trick to maneuvering the engine in place?

I attached the upper-rear mounting bolt first, then the top one at the coil. Then I installed the front mount and it was pretty much locked in. Took a few tries to get it right... Glad I didn't bother painting the engine haha.

iatethepeach said:
My replacement, which I picked up at a Honda dealer (18291-MN5-650), looked like a copper ring.

Hmm. Some brief googling shows the later CB125 twin uses the fuzzy gasket that I have. I'm pretty sure they're the exact same size. Am I okay using it or should I order a new copper one? There are several part numbers for exhaust gaskets that all contradict the photo representations online. So confusing ::)

I used the fuzzy one that was in my gasket set and it seals fine. It probably doesn't matter which you use as long as it sits square in the head and seals.

I figured that would be the case. I mounted the exhaust up and it looks great! It took several tries to get it positioned correctly and I ran into issues with one the mounting screws being bent inwards, but I got some sweating and swearing out of my system and eventually figured it out 8)

One issue I discovered is that the clutch is stuck. I should have given it some love when I had the cover off. I guess I'm going to try to free it "by push" and if that doesn't work I'll take the cover off and oil up the discs. Fortunately the scrambler pipe allows me to remove the crankcase cover without taking the exhaust off again, unlike on my CB.

Regardless, I'm getting all set for the first-start attempt tomorrow. The guys who originally were helping me build the bike will be showing their faces for this happy moment. I've been a one-man wrecking ball for the last few months with the both of them off doing collegiate stuff, but they've been financially supportive in terms of the build. I borrowed my CB's seat just to see how Billi would look and I like what I see!

Nj7FPTo.jpg

(Before I mounted the pipe)

The saga continues...

Go scrambler!

Good luck tomorrow. Hopefully it fires up and the clutch unsticks. Do you have a front-brake cable you can toss on before you take the bike out on your test track? I'll stay tuned.

The front brake cable is in the mail, so I have "tracker brakes" until that comes. So no, I won't be going crazy with it haha. I'd just like to hear a nice idle.

My clutch was stuck also from the motor sitting. I rolled it over to the wall, shifted it into gear squezed the clutch in and gently stood on the kick starter arm. It broke loose right a way I then kicked it thru a few times while in gear and then pushed it up and down the driveway in gear with the clutch in. Hope this helps.

It wasn't a first kick start but we got her going!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NkAjEKTtmM

She obviously needs a bit of tuning, and there might be an air leak due to a cracked carb insulator gasket. But hey, I'll take it. I was able to bump start the bike and ride around a cul de sac for a few minutes with the clutch in but it didn't free up, so I gotta take it apart later this week.

Some bad news... Both forks leak at the seals :-\ I guess they're both just too pitted. Kind of a bummer considering how much time I spent working on them. Sooo I will need source a new set of tubes, alas.

Back
Top Bottom