Tips for welding with the HF 90 amp

teazer said:
Duh.

Thanks Tune. That's what I thought, but forgot to check the date of the posts so I assumed he had been allowed back in. Pays to check. Let's pretend I never asked....

BTW, I have almost finished putting a new frame jig together because I have a few projects that require extensive frame modifications and I like frames to be straight. I normally use oxy but recently acquired a TIG that I need to learn how to use before I weld anything structurally important.

Yeah buddy... Love the tigger but you need to become one with it for welding out of position like tubing. Stick out is so important to keeping the tungsten clean, I'm a shaky leaf so I need to drag the cup and set stick out for that... Seems to work for me. Practice feeding filler while watching the game both push and backside swap handed feeds, you gonna have to switch hit now and then.

Have a blast or it's a job!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

If you oxy weld, tig welding will be a natural progression.
Much more so than mig welding.

Out of position tube is greatly helped by a torch switch and learning the 4t setting if needed.

I have a 110v wire feed and a 220v stick. My LSR sidecar was welded with the stick. The welds aren't pretty but as an old timer told me years ago"Purty aint shit. Penetration is everything". My sidecar has made around 50 runs at Bonneville and El Mirage with no broken weld. I'll use the 110v wire feed to put tabs on but I wouldn't use it for anything I have to bet my balls on.

Hoofhearted said:
I have a 110v wire feed and a 220v stick. My LSR sidecar was welded with the stick. The welds aren't pretty but as an old timer told me years ago"Purty aint shit. Penetration is everything". My sidecar has made around 50 runs at Bonneville and El Mirage with no broken weld. I'll use the 110v wire feed to put tabs on but I wouldn't use it for anything I have to bet my balls on.

I have fixed a lot of stick welded stuff, learning to root the pool correctly is another skill lost at most public schools (remember the wallet test) people get the stick setup and just drag it laying turds over and over never really penetrating.

This held deep into turn one lol

108_0892.jpg

Back
Top Bottom