3DogNate's 1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R Resoration

I couldn't find a good copy of a descriptive wiring harness diagram, so I took the best I could find and redrew it so that it was at least better than a coarse scan. I'm about to jump into wiring this thing... hopefully this will help out the next guy.

No updates for a while due to cold and laziness.... I'm about to tackle the wiring now.

My intake manifolds were rusty and shitty looking. We tried to Zinc plate them but that didn't turn out so I setup a quick Nickel Plating setup and was able to get them looking good. [‎2/‎28/‎2017 1:42 PM] Nathan Noel:
DIY Nickel Plating - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHBIlz5Pt5g
Tried it over the weekend... turned out great.

3234AA1E-1466-440D-90C3-F8C0E0916B7B_zps6psxobnr.jpg

I always wondered what those Caswell kits were like...this is one step closer to me getting one of my own. Thanks!

goldy said:
I always wondered what those Caswell kits were like...this is one step closer to me getting one of my own. Thanks!

Did not use a Caswell kit... (those are nice) the vid I linked was just a reference... sorry if I misled. What i did cost me about a whole $25 following this instructables article.

http://www.instructables.com/id/High-Quality-and-safe-Nickel-Plating/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I got about 90% of my wiring completed.. gonna wrap that up tomorrow. But in the meantime...

I went out and traded my '08 Ultra Classic in for a '17 Road Glide Special today... that new 107 just beats the pants of my old 96 motor.

A424E7B7-D78A-405B-9F39-C04FEB6A8ED8_zpsdmqy52gh.jpg

D3429E83-7923-4706-BE9B-62C702E2957B_zpsavpsnubp.jpg

79064236-C70A-430B-9C8E-1AFEEE733990_zpsln55igmc.jpg

Most of the wiring is verified as working... it took be a little effort to figure out the Horn/Dip and Lighting Switch as the Emgo Dip switch didn't have the stock wiring colors... Need to grab a new tail light bulb and verify the brake light... the meter checks it out but doesn't light the bulb. I'll try to get that knocked out this evening. I need to mount and connect the horns tonight as well. Can't wait to see if those expensive assed horns actually work. :D

I need to take a good look inside the tank and make sure it's ready to go... I might need a can of Evaporust to knock of some flash rust... but it was always fairly clean... I don't think there's any reason for me to need to line the tank. So that should go quick...

Quick punch list for my own purposes:
  • Verify Brake Light
  • Mount and connect horns
  • Inspect and treat tank if needed
  • Route Breather tube along the Fender underside
  • Adjust Brakes
  • Verify Clutch before closing left side of engine.
  • Re-Plate horn cover screws and speedo mount bolts
  • Straighten or replace right driver foot peg
  • Mount Burner exhaust for first start up.
  • Mount tank and plumb petcocks
  • Fluids

Dude, I am sitting here taking a break at work and just scrolled back through this entire thread.

The work you have done is astonishing. :eek:

trek97 said:
Dude, I am sitting here taking a break at work and just scrolled back through this entire thread.

The work you have done is astonishing. :eek:

I hope so... it's been one of those "spare no expense, but do it yourself" kinda builds... I can't wait to see it with the tank and shiny new exhaust bits on it. And hear it run. and ride it. and show it off.

3DogNate said:
I hope so... it's been one of those "spare no expense, but do it yourself" kinda builds... I can't wait to see it with the tank and shiny new exhaust bits on it. And hear it run. and ride it. and show it off.

Its certainly shining through!

Just say the word as soon as she comes to life, Rach and I will run over to see it!

trek97 said:
Its certainly shining through!

Just say the word as soon as she comes to life, Rach and I will run over to see it!
Sure thing... if you'd like we can time it so that you can meet a few if the vintage BMW/Triumph/Indian/(and now Ural) guys I mess with. You'll get to meet some great bike lovers and see some killer bikes.

We're heading to Kentucky the weekend of May 5th. So, any weekend other than that would be perfect. ;)

trek97 said:
We're heading to Kentucky the weekend of May 5th. So, any weekend other than that would be perfect. ;)
It should be right after that when it should be fully wrapped up.

Got a little more done... I finally broke down and corrected the right horn mounts. I had to turn a thick washer on the lathe... I need to rewire the left horn, but I gotta pickup a roll of black wire tomorrow because I have not the correct gauge on hand. I had to order a set of foot rests, my right side one was too tweaked and there was no way to get it in a vise that would allow me to bend it right. I got the left motor cover on after I polished it again to make it mo' better. My Emgo dip switch is a POS.... I can't get it to make contact for the horn. I have a UK made one coming.. (expensive little shit thing). I also ordered a positive earth LED Bulb for the tail light, the incandescent bulb brake filament is soooo weak there is barely any difference. Both of those are on their way from the UK.... but I can move along while waiting.

Need to verify my Boyer-Brandsen ignition wiring and set static timing.

• Verify Brake Light
  • Mount and connect horns
  • Inspect and treat tank if needed
  • Route Breather tube along the Fender underside
  • Adjust Brakes
  • Verify Clutch before closing left side of engine.
  • Re-Plate horn cover screws
  • Re-Plate speedo mount bolts
  • Straighten or replace right driver foot peg
  • Mount Burner exhaust for first start up.
  • Mount tank and plumb petcocks
  • Fluids

Back
Top Bottom