www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

OUR ADS ARE FROM SUPPORTERS OF THE COMMUNITY - CONSIDER TURNING YOUR AD-BLOCKER OFF FOR WWW.DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: The $500 Gear Up Challenge  (Read 1266 times)

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
The $500 Gear Up Challenge
« on: Jul 25, 2015, 11:04:15 »
 I'm in the market for some new gear. Namely, a new helmet, summer jacket and gloves.

I've been wearing some of the Bilt stuff from Cycle Gear and it's OK....you get what you pay for...
 The helmet is alright but noisy. To be fair, the reviews said it was. The jacket is fine but has ZERO reflective piping or patches. The gloves they sell just don't hold up well at all.
 The main reason I've gone with their stuff is A) affordability, and B  ) they have several locations near me and I can actually try stuff on before buying. I don't like buying a helmet or jacket online that I can't test fit first. I'm open to just about any brand.

Let's say you have $500-600 to spend on some new gear. What would you get and why?

My wish list:

Helmet- Solid color, flip down sun visor (and by that I mean the integrated, internal shield), full face. I'm not opposed to a modular helmet, but it's not a requirement. If it's Bluetooth, that's a bonus.

Jacket- Mesh, textile (or some combination) Summer jacket. Armored, comfortable, reflective piping/patches. I prefer subdued colors....black or something. No Power Ranger look, please.

Gloves- Something suitable for near year round riding. I can wear liners in cooler weather and I don't really ride when it gets stupid cold. I don't like gauntlet style gloves; just something that stops right around the wrist.

Feel free to post up your own personal choices, too....even if they don't exactly meet my criteria. Who knows? I might just see something I like.
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2015, 13:43:32 by scott s »

Offline DreadRock

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Bang Cut Grind ..Dam Did I Need That Part ?
Re: The $500 Gear Up Challenge
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2015, 11:32:33 »
Helmet: scorpion make a decent lid
Jacket: textile or leather !!! Mesh melts ........
Gloves : leather full gauntlet

If it was me would spend most on a good lid then jacket then gloves ! I do use mech glove on real hot days but not on any serious riding days !!!!

Offline scott s

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2015, 13:44:54 »
 That's kinda what I was thinking. ~$350 for the lid, $150 for the jacket and $50-60 for gloves. May not get the BEST of the best, but you oughta be able to gear up nicely for something like that, or a combination thereof.

Offline DreadRock

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Bang Cut Grind ..Dam Did I Need That Part ?
« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2015, 14:49:20 »
Very true and replace what you have with better as you go ! Good luck man !

If you look on CL bike parts by owner you can find good gear jackets gloves at good price but buy a new helmet cuz you don't know how they took care of them !

Offline J-Rod10

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Slipstream Cycle Works

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2015, 17:24:55 »
Stellar lid, at a great price.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+helmets/shoei_rf-1100+helmet+-+rollin

I have had a couple Shoeis, an Arai, and some cheapo helmets, but the RF1100 is the best helmet I have ever owned. I have done some 1000+ mile days with that bad boy. no complaints, although i have yet to find a helmet that isn't loud at freeway speeds. If i'm riding for more than an hour at 60+ I usually will pop earplugs in.

Offline J-Rod10

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Slipstream Cycle Works
« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2015, 17:27:16 »
I'm partial to Arai for full face, but have worn an 1100 on multiple occasions. Spectacular lid, and at $300, it can't be beat.

Offline Loctite77

• Yeah Son!
    • 1976 CB750F
« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2015, 08:54:24 »
Just picked up a Bell Bullit, very very nice helmets and well made. Highly recommended. For gloves I like the brand speed and strength. I just got theses and they are great for the money. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/speed-and-strength-rust-and-redemption-gloves

I had to score off the "speed" from the finger though. That is corny IMO.

Yeah Son!

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2015, 17:40:54 »
+1 for the Shoei RF1100 but with helmets, fit and comfort are everything.  No integrated sun visor tho.

I can't wear an Arai, and I can't handle a Bell Bullit for more than 30 seconds.  Just doesn't fit my head right.
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #9 on: Jul 27, 2015, 17:43:18 »
Oh and Olympia makes some really nice jackets.  All depends what you're looking for.  I wear a variety of jackets depending on conditions but wear 2 pairs of gloves (old trusty ICON's I've had for 8 years and some Held gauntlet style), but only one helmet - the Shoei.
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."