Kneeler Project

It's a Korean copy of something, branded as a golden boy but I think only fitted as OEM.
Would be great to find something to match it, I'll upload a picture of the tread pattern after I've had my supper.

Darn it! I'm going for the classic 16" outfit so will keep my eyes peeled for another block treaded 16".

Erskine said:
Darn it! I'm going for the classic 16" outfit so will keep my eyes peeled for another block treaded 16".

Steff ......................going back to the day, I used to get cast offs from Tom Kirby. Plenty of life left in them for road use and they even performed well in the wet. That was in the days before I STOPPED riding in the rain !

That would be my first port of call - '60s era period racers.

Now then - a real raking over of the old grey matter .................. I THINK the Ariel Golden Arrow used a 16" rear wheel [ may have been17" ? ], and I know I remember seeing the old Avon SMs on the back. Pretty well a block tread as yours and Miffa's Avon Mk2s. [ rear ]. Mind you. this memory is at least 50 years old !

Miffa,

yea .................we missed out on Stafford as the new project ["Scream"] wasn't quite ready. We were let down in the finishing straight by non delivery of a couple of key components from the US.

The bike is now completed and as you may have seen elsewhere - we've started on a new project - the trurbocharged BMW R1200ST.

The Scream is undergoing "road trials" in it's finalised form just to make sure ................ It was well tested along the way, but now we have all the definitive bits on it - we're giving it a good shake down.

Look forward to seeing you again at some of next year's events.

Thanks for that number Miffa, I think I'll hold out for a part worn to start with. I'm not working at present and on a budget of bugger all so am selling stuff to buy stuff to keep it at zero cost.
If I could risk throwing money at it , it would be up and running inside a fortnight.
However, not rushing at it headlong means there are aspects I could have wasted time and money on but with advice from Beachcomber I've changed tack on.

Something completely different.............I'm looking forward to see what you make of it???

lchris21 said:
Something completely different.............I'm looking forward to see what you make of it???

I've reached a bit of an impasse with the rear suspension .......
To get the ride height I want using the Honda 'Uni link' / 'Pro link' (can't remember what they call it) cantilever suspension system I need a 215/220 mm shock. I've found some quad ones at this length but they are for a 'direct' mono shock system. However due to the leverage ratio on the movement, the swinging arm moves a lot compared to comparatively little shock compression...... So I assume a mono shock rated unit will be too soft. At a loss here.

My options that I see are either:
A) to find a shock that is designed for that system, regardless of length and move the top mount to suit
B) to convert it to direct mono shock and make new mounts, or
C) make a new rear subframe and go twin shocks ?

Thoughts please muckers!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    994 KB · Views: 357
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 359
Steff,

PM me [ or open thread] with definitive measurements, datum points etc ....................I'm sure we can resolve this !!!!! No - we WILL resolve this.

However ...... my 4 pennarth - TWINSHOX are the way to go on a chair of traditional intent. A chair by virtue of what you are going to subject it to requires as much lateral support and torsional stiffness as poss ..............................

Today I had an itch to ride my trials outfit, I had half a gallon of stale petrol with a two stroke mix in which my chainsaw wouldn't run so I whacked that in the tank. Haven't started it for two months .... Second kick it fired up and I spent an hour riding around the lanes and farm tracks. Little gem never fails to make me smile, but has also got me itching to progress the Tarmac project.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    866.6 KB · Views: 359
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    775.2 KB · Views: 363
Steff,

rule of thumb for setting angle of rear shock / spring.

As you already know - a triangle is the strongest [ 2D structure ] form of tubing layout. The same applies if you replace one of the elements with a shock [ raving generalisation ].

However the theory obtains. Sit you butt on the bike and adopt the most normal posture - get someone to take a line between your hip joints [ side to side ] - then take that datun and strike a line to the rear lower mount [ proposed ] for the shock [ Twinshox here ]. That will give you a rough vector for the line of force. This is more important for a longer swingarm element.

Just a Christmas thought amongst the Turkey and Brandy ............................

beachcomber said:
Steff,

rule of thumb for setting angle of rear shock / spring.

As you already know - a triangle is the strongest [ 2D structure ] form of tubing layout. The same applies if you replace one of the elements with a shock [ raving generalisation ].

However the theory obtains. Sit you butt on the bike and adopt the most normal posture - get someone to take a line between your hip joints [ side to side ] - then take that datun and strike a line to the rear lower mount [ proposed ] for the shock [ Twinshox here ]. That will give you a rough vector for the line of force. This is more important for a longer swingarm element.

Just a Christmas thought amongst the Turkey and Brandy ............................

Back to a blank canvas ...... What is the optimum rear subframe design for a twin shock back end?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 341
I'll dig out some representative pix as and when over next few days [ Hospital duties ].

However - the Commando BOTM at the header this month is a good illustration of what I mean.

The vector of the bulk of the weight [ rider ] is in line with the shocker angle.

beachcomber said:
I'll dig out some representative pix as and when over next few days [ Hospital duties ].

However - the Commando BOTM at the header this month is a good illustration of what I mean.

The vector of the bulk of the weight [ rider ] is in line with the shocker angle.

Thanks TJ

I'm going to make some photocopies of that loop and sketch some different ideas out.
I do intend to heavily re enforce the swinging arm pivot region with boxed in gusseting and welding a spacer within to give the swinging arm pivot greater support and bearing area. I think it will easy to locate a spindle/bolt a few inches longer.
I fried my brain trying to visualise moving the existing top shock mount up and forward to allow the use of a longer more obtainable single shock at a slant, rather than vertical. However I can't see how the fulcrum/cantilever set up will actuate it from such a mild angle, it's like it need a big drop. I like the cleanliness of the single shock unit, but unless anyone can suggest a resolution I think twin shocks will be the way forward.

Back
Top Bottom