1972 CL100 S?

Doesn't make sense unless you're class racing but interesting anyway,

http://web.archive.org/web/20090912064108/http://www.powroll.com/P_HONDA_VINTAGE_100-125.htm

OK, the AGM $16 dollar battery came and it's too fat for the sidecover to go on. I stood the battery on it's end, it goes in that way just like the post on yahoo said. i'm going to try to move the airbox to the right a little and see if that frees up the space I need. I got a 15 amp mini blade fuse on it. The speedo bulbs are all out so i'm going to swap in some old 750 bulbs I have.
I read if the red/white wire isn't hooked up or the rectifier is junk the dyno will send as much as 17 volts to the lights. That explains the 12 volt headlight and taillight and the others all blown out. This bike had red/white on the neg. post. nuff said huh?
The cl100S sidecover emblem came, it's perfect. Except the other side has no S. oh well, you can't see them at the same time anyway.
I believe this beast would run on 12 volts with the stock stator, given a good battery, rectifier and regulator. Through all this the old stator tests good.
If watts are volts x amps wouldn't 12V double the watts of a 6 volt bike?

I got it together, it fired right up and runs but still peters out after 100 yards or so. It doesn't seize so I'm guessing it's a fuel supply issue. I didn't think to try the choke. Anyway I adjusted the float which seems high given the angle of the carb. Then it didn't start so I rolled it back in and forgot to turn off the key. A couple minutes later the fuse had blown and the next one did too. I'm guessing since I didn't do anything about the coil it's toast. (It had an awesome spark for a while) I got lazy and trusted a post on yahoo.
I haven't been back out to check it yet.
I serviced the forks and after the mile or two on them it seems the nubs on the new front michelin wear off on the right side of center first. I'll keep an eye on that, there may be a wheel alignment issue.

Well, I didn't put on the resistor and did leave the key on by accident and it did fry the coil. LOL. It had a massive spark when it worked!

I got an incorrect new coil, tried it anyway and toasted it too. It was for an electronic ign. it ohmed out at 5,3, so I'm not sure what happened. Maybe my meter needs a battery. Next up will be a cb360 coil. It's correct for points 12 volt, matches the stator and bikes wiring.

Back
Top Bottom